Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How often do you shower/bathe?

(162 Posts)
Newquay Mon 20-Sep-21 09:15:10

We had bath taken out and a lovely walk in shower installed.
I tend to shower and wash hair every other day.
Although I like feeling fresh and doing hair I’m beginning to find the whole thing a right performance especially cleaning down the screen and floors afterwards.
Sometimes DH goes in after me so he does it then.

MamaCaz Mon 20-Sep-21 19:49:40

I've become lazy - although I still shower every day, I now sit down in the bath to do it so that I don't have to dry all the walls down afterwards!

Witzend Mon 20-Sep-21 20:05:19

Shower every other day, can’t be doing with having to dry my hair every day, plus skin would get even drier than it already is. A ‘proper wash’ on other days.

I don’t have to clean shower screens - it must be a right royal PITA - we have very good showers over the baths, with good old fashioned shower curtains. Should add that I do wash them now and then.

Ampersand Tue 21-Sep-21 10:57:40

I use a Karcher window vac - best thing I've ever bought. So simple to use for all windows, tiles, mirrors & glass topped tables Everything sparkles & is streak free.

Theoddbird Tue 21-Sep-21 11:04:17

I shower every day but only wash hair once a week. Hair does not need washing every day. I use one of those sprays for showers most days...it helps. I do give shower a good clean when it looks like it needs it.

Gwenisgreat1 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:06:24

I shower and wash my hair 3 times a week, DH twice a week. He has taken it on himself to clean screen after each use - the only bit of housework he does.
Can't remember when I last had a bath!!

Jaxie Tue 21-Sep-21 11:22:22

Bidets are great for washing feet in. I can’t think daily showers are good for dry older skin.

sazz1 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:25:30

I have a bath 4 or 5 times a week but always rinse off in the shower afterwards. Wash my hair every 3rd day usually.
Rinse shower with hot water and open window after, never dry it down. Clean when it needs it. I use elbow grease (the yellow bottle from cheap shops)
My area has soft water so easy to clean.

Lizzie44 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:26:50

Shower daily. Love our walk-in shower but don't find it easy to clean despite having tried most sprays, gadgets etc. Haven't used our bath for at least 3 years. I've never been keen on soaking in a bath. Lie there, the water gets cold, top up with more hot water, lie there in scum, then a tricky and inelegant clamber to get out. I will only book holiday accommodation that has a walk-in shower after once falling in a deep bath in Sicily that had no hand holds or obvious means of escape.

Gabrielle56 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:27:38

Shinamae

Usually twice a week to shower and once a week to wash my hair

Us too. Daily showering regardless of need is a habit and not very good for pH balance and general skin health.and hair? Shampoo once week other times use a cleansing cream fro superdrug, cleans product away but not shampoo. I have not 'washed' my face since 1976! (Oriflame remember that?) I used to use a mild toner but now miscellar water to cleanse.and- have ZERO wrinkles. I tell the truth! I'm no beauty but not having fine English rose skin when younger is sure paying dividends now! And shower clean? Use after spray every single time, have done since it appeared years ago and I literally have to calendar to do full clean as it always looks pristine!

Bigirl57 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:29:30

We have a shower every day why would anyone not. As for cleaning it twice a week our cleaner calls and does that. Our next door neighbours have a shower next to their swimming pool in the summer time they walk out into their garden and shower there.

Shinamae Tue 21-Sep-21 11:31:16

Bigirl57

We have a shower every day why would anyone not. As for cleaning it twice a week our cleaner calls and does that. Our next door neighbours have a shower next to their swimming pool in the summer time they walk out into their garden and shower there.

Because in my opinion it’s totally unnecessary and not at all good for the skin

Audi10 Tue 21-Sep-21 11:36:40

Shower daily wash hair three times week and bath once a week

Secondwind Tue 21-Sep-21 11:37:12

Full shower and hair wash twice a week, but I do sloosh below the waist in the shower every day. It’s easier to wash and rinse my important little places with the shower head than standing at the sink!

Rumpunch Tue 21-Sep-21 11:41:25

The shower sprays are good but we use a squeegee on the tiles and shower door immediately after showering and it seems to keep itself clean.

Bluedaisy Tue 21-Sep-21 11:42:59

I like a shower daily but due to mobility issues am finding the wiping down a pain so have bought a karcher which helps enormously after I’ve used a squeegee and did have a long handled scrubby OXO thing for the floor from Lakeland which was brilliant but got lost during our move a few months ago so am just about to order another one. I agree it is a pain to clean so get my son or daughter in law to give a good go when they visit if needed as we’ve only just had it put in.

Joesoap Tue 21-Sep-21 11:48:44

Thank you for so many tips some of which I will try.
I shower twice a week, a good wash down in between. I cant get down to my feet since a hip replacement but use my long handled bath brush to do the job, it works well.

gma Tue 21-Sep-21 12:09:33

Shower and hair wash every day! Have done since I married! (Didn’t have shower at family home)Couldn’t imagine anything else!! Don’t like baths at all !shower so quick! Clean undies and socks daily at least, also! Spray shower with spray and once a week give it the karcher treatment!

silvercollie Tue 21-Sep-21 12:16:53

Well, at least all you folk have GOT a shower!

Despite my offering to pay for a shower unit to be installed myself, my landlord is being extremely tardy about allowing it to happen. Must submit details and all sorts. I will send a photograph of the intended position. As I said I am paying for it and it will enhance his property.

OK but I have been here for over 42 years managing with a bath only. Disablement means this is very difficult and as it is placed under an eave and over head arrangement is not possible. There is no room in my cottage to install a full shower, so I thought a heated shower attachment would be a good idea.

As the cottage had not been tested for electrics since 2013 I first had to wait for a legal Certificate that my chosen electrician can accept. I started these proceedings in early July and am still waiting for said Certificate from the Landlords. So the shower is a long way off.

Today I found an infestation of wasps under the eaves outside and something eating the top corner of the window in my guest bedroom.

Not feeling inclined to approach my Landlords as they have so ill mannered and obstructive since Mrs. Landlord took over the reins.

I am a 'sitting tenant - I guess this has a lot to do with my their attitude.

What to do?

Armynanny Tue 21-Sep-21 12:22:37

Too often- I have a shower every morning and a bath every night. I love doing both so won’t give either of them up.

nanna8 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:33:30

Every day for shower, sometimes twice. Bath, maybe once a week in the spa. In the hot weather whenever I feel like it, more often, especially after having a swim.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:55:23

I very rarely take a bath - once or twice a year at most, due to a desire to cut down on the amount of water the household uses and the amount of heating.

I shower every second or third day, as I no longer perspire as I used to pre-menopause. On the intervening days I strip wash.

I have never washed my hair more often than once a week, and now I am back to once a fortnight - but I have always had dry hair.

Having lived in flats that did not have baths until recently, I find cleaning a bath far more ardurous than clean the shower. I give the bathroom walls a quick wipe once a fortnight, clean the toilet and wash-basin thoroughly ever week, or whenever they seem to need it, and clean the entire bathroom thoroughly every three weeks.

Lulubelle500 Tue 21-Sep-21 12:57:13

Everyday shower but getting to dread it more each day! Have any grans on here got a walk-in bath? My balance is almost gone now (MS) I've got grab rails but not enough hands to wash with and hold on! A normal bath is not the answer - when I'm staying with my sis she hauls me in and out of hers and DH says call him and he'll help me out in our shower. But twice he's let me fall, fortunately only bruises those times, but next time...? Come back please if you can help.

Madashell Tue 21-Sep-21 13:14:45

I would never shower or bath daily unless I’ve been doing DIY or mucky gardening jobs. I was brought up to have a bath twice a week only because of cost of immersion heater. May be as fuel costs rise we all might have to re-consider daily bathing. I avoid all products containing SLS or SLES which have a drying effect on the skin, and, having curly hair I follow the same principle, only washing it when I feel like it. If you have hard water shower spray is useful to prevent scummy build up but I find the aerosol drops make me cough. If you get mouldy grout or silicone sealant I find HG Mould Spray is the best although it may need several dos. (Makes me cough too). Moved into a house with 2 showers neither of which is useable and am having to wait till a plumber is available. However the walk-in quadrant shower cubicle is very useful for storing 2 sacks of dog food at a time - he can’t steal it from there!

Alioop Tue 21-Sep-21 13:34:09

I shower every day and usually have a soak in the bath on a Sunday evening. An eczema flare up has been bad for a couple of months now so haven't had a bath, just showers.
I use my window vac to remove the excess water off the glass in my shower every time I use it and then give it all a good clean every couple of days.

cc Tue 21-Sep-21 13:51:54

We had a water softener in our last house, which used salt tablets. It definitely kept everything cleaner and I just had to spray the glass down with hot water to keep it clean, though conditioner needed wiping off. It kept toilets and taps lime free too.
We don't have one here yet, but it will be one of the first things we put in when we renovate.