Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

How would you react???

(57 Posts)
InOzMIL Sat 09-Oct-21 23:33:03

Hi ladies,
How would you react to son & DIL who haven’t told you that she’s pregnant?
It’s a long story, isn’t it always?
DIL has isolated & manipulated son from family & friends. Married for 5 years & they have 3 year old.
I have been very involved in caring for 3 year which allowed DIL to return to work.
But always on DIL’s terms, it’s more like providing a service.
Last time I was at their home I picked up on few things that indicated she was pregnant. Due to lockdowns (I’m in greater Sydney Australia) haven’t seen them for 4 months.
I am going up next week & if I’m correct she would be 5 months pregnant.
With first pregnancy I was told when she was 3 weeks.
I’ve tried to keep this short but it’s obvious there’s lot of water under the bridge over last 5 years.
If I’m told she is pregnant next week…..
How would you react ?

LovelyCuppa Thu 21-Oct-21 13:40:44

In answer to your question I think I'd just smile and congratulate them. This will leave a good memory, for you and for them, of when they told you.

It sounds like there are huge issues going on between you which won't be mended overnight, or with you questioning why they haven't told you yet.

Congratulations, by the way, lovely news smile

InOzMIL Thu 21-Oct-21 22:11:10

Ummm well nothing has been confirmed as yet. I did visit & there had been cold weather snap & DIL wore baggy long jumper. Nothing showing like a baby bump.
Prob not pregnant I’d say.

So I’m totally ok with either, if she is or isn’t pregnant. I was never going to show anything but obvious delight.
Remember my initial post was how would you feel ? Not asking for advice on how to behave myself.

MissAdventure Thu 21-Oct-21 22:13:49

You'll probably get advice now on whether you should get upset about how baggy her jumper is. grin
Glad all is well.

CafeAuLait Thu 21-Oct-21 22:14:34

Thanks for the update InOzMIL. It does look like your DIL isn't pregnant, so there is nothing to tell.

Your original post asked how you should react though, not feel, which crosses into how you should behave.

I hope you enjoyed the visit and everyone was happy to be back together.

InOzMIL Thu 21-Oct-21 22:18:42

Yes totally agree. I re read my first post & did write *react & should have written *feel.
But thanks for your input.

LovelyCuppa Fri 22-Oct-21 19:43:57

Ah sorry, yes, my mistake too. I understood "react" as in what physical reaction would you show.