Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Sleeping alone

(133 Posts)
Jennyluck Tue 18-Jan-22 20:44:47

I’ve just discovered the joy of sleeping alone.
Dh has dementia, and has started going to the toilet during the night, a lot. Which unfortunately wakes me up, there’s also snoring, coughing, sniffing. I find once I’m awake, I can’t get back to sleep.
I can’t have my own bedroom because we have a full house, with 2 ac and a grand child.
So I had a brain wave of buying a sofa bed. I bought a really good one.
Oh the joy of a peaceful nights sleep.
Anyone else gone down this road. ??

Chinesecrested Thu 20-Jan-22 15:51:14

I spend 3 nights at my house and 4 at bf's flat each week. I sleep much better at his flat. He has a memory foam mattress, a good quality quilt, and a lovely warm, hairy body to snuggle up to! grin

celialillian Thu 20-Jan-22 17:02:47

I have been a widow for 24 years and love sleeping alone I could Never share a bed with anyone. I have my bedroom decorated cosy and have all my favourite things near by, such as books, kindle, and a small radio. On cold winter nights it is a joy to go into my cosy bedroom with warm bedside lights. I take a hot cup of Horlicks, prop up my pillows, read my emails on my kindle. Sometimes have the radio on low in the background. Then settle down to a good read. Shutting out the world.

effalump Thu 20-Jan-22 18:27:48

I've been single all my life and I'm used to having the bed to myself. In fact, if I was to find a partner, not only would he have to have his own bedroom, but preferably in his own house and I'd be in mine. After having a couple of occasions looking after my mum, until her death last year, I struggled sleeping in the same room as she had apnoea and tended to be very noisy, so I've not had good quality sleep over the past few years. I often wonder what it feels like to go to bed at night and feel refreshed when waking next morning.

OmaLoocie Sat 22-Jan-22 13:48:04

I often wish I did have my own bedroom, especially as The Husband is now retired and home all day so I never get ANY time to myself anymore. Ironically, when I was young and single I used to yearn and dream of having someone to share a bed with... ?

Fudgemonkey Mon 24-Jan-22 15:58:37

Separate rooms for us after youngest moved out, due to large dogs, not health reasons, never enough space. Bliss ?

Hellogirl1 Mon 24-Jan-22 17:44:51

Obviously I sleep alone now, but first started a few years back after hubby had a stoma bag fitted, he preferred to sleep in his own room. After it was reversed we went back to sleeping together, but after a few nights he decided he preferred to sleep in his own room again, so that`s how things stayed. I`ve been a widow for over 5 years now, so no choice anymore. I do like my king size bed though.

Washerwoman Tue 25-Jan-22 08:10:56

I kept decamping to the spare room for several years when going through the menopause,still working and getting increasingly restless at night and desperate for a good night's sleep.Plus DH's snoring got bad so at one point, until he lost some weight, and I got so irritable and resentful without sleep.
Then I got Covid early in the first lock down and moved completely into that room,taking all my bits and pieces with me and there I slept until recently. I even convinced myself I just couldn't get a decent night's sleep sharing a bed ever again.And found the idea of holidays stressful as I anticipated nights of insomnia.
Then last year we had the decorator in to spruce things up.I moved back in with DH and slept like a log,loved chatting to DH in bed,liked our newly decorated room and bedding so much I didn't want to leave it so I've stayed.DH keeps telling me it's lovely to have me back and I think I'm just much less stressed than previously when work and worries about my elderly mum rumbled incessantly in the background.
Now it's poor DH who struggles to sleep with arthritis a rotator cuff injury in his shoulder.But we are lucky to have a king-size bed,and there's always the spare room if needed again.Although now I'm back I intend to stay !Plus as we age I'm more conscious there may come a time when I don't have DH to cuddle up to.
I think our adult DDs thought I was deserting their dad.But now my DD with children,full time job and a snoring partner longs for a spare room !