Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Resting Miserable Face

(82 Posts)
Havemercy Mon 16-May-22 14:05:01

It's happened again! I was at a social event at the weekend where I didn't know many people but feeling relaxed and cheerful - looking forward to meeting new people etc. Someone then said to me - "are you ok - you look unhappy?" This has been said to me many times over the years - I would say 'resting b****h face is my expression but what can I do about it and has anyone else suffered from this? I think I am a cheerful friendly person but evidently don't look it. I know that this is a minor thing in the great scheme of things. Any helpful hints appreciated. It's not an age thing- used to get accused of having a sour expression when a young woman az well.

Menopaws Wed 18-May-22 19:47:50

I seem to have a judgemental face apparently and it is often mentioned. I am never rude to people or blank them but I can't change it!
When I smile I'm told it's lovely so I am extreme with whatever I do!

lemsip Wed 18-May-22 20:33:46

oh yes, I have one of those,, I walk along with a sort of mini smile on my face and do smile at anyone...told I have a lovely smile

Dickens Thu 19-May-22 07:30:22

Caleo

I was once in a pub sitting alone while my companion was absent for a pee. A man in a nearby group moved across to me and said "Cheer up" or some such inanity. I was so incensed I stood up grasping my empty lager glass and he was afraid I'd actually hit him with it.

When my male companion returned this idiot man apologised to HIM (not me!) saying "Sorry , mate, I didn't know she was with someone."

When my male companion returned this idiot man apologised to HIM (not me!) saying "Sorry , mate, I didn't know she was with someone."

He thought you were fair game - a woman on her own... who is obviously just gagging for attention from any random male.

We've still got a long way to go, haven't we?

Caleo Thu 19-May-22 15:35:16

The large number of responses here shows male attitudes of patronising and trivialising women is a thing .

I don't know how this attitude of some men can be dealt with.
after this topic was discussed here I asked both my sons if it had happened to them. It never had happened to them. Younger son suggested the response" I will be happier when you go away".

Mau52 Thu 19-May-22 17:18:36

I’ve been told this. Resting b**ch face as you say. I’ve recently had some Botox injections supposed to help downturned mouth. It’s helped a bit but needs to be topped up

varian Thu 19-May-22 18:56:22

Perhaps we should turn this to our advantage.

Us miserable looking folk have obviously not had botox or plastic surgery, so we are genuine folk, not obsessed with our appearance or trying to look younger or nicer or friendlier than we actually are.

It is not so much a case of "what you see is what you get" but "you might be surprised how nice she actually is"