Thames boat trip, what to wear, help please.

LovingThisStage Wed 14-Sep-22 00:25:20

I need urgent help with what to wear, please! I've lost my shape & sense of style along with it! Size 16 and very curvy.

DH has a company 'Summer Event'' - a thames cruise and
then lunch at a restaurant.

Trouble is, it's no longer very summery, but not cold yet either. Also, the invitation makes no mention of a dress code.

Any ideas, please?

Dickens Wed 14-Sep-22 00:58:21

Presumably there will be a below-deck lounge? Most Thames passenger boats have them. Hopefully this is the case as it can get quite chilly on the river in the evening (my family used to run passenger boats on the Thames).

Think first of what will suit your size 16 shape. I have been that size in the past (it's not that big!). I'd opt for some nice trousers with a tunic-type top but with a warm, thin, jumper underneath which you could remove and roll-up to put in your handbag if it gets too warm in the restaurant. Or maybe a warm shawl which is easier to just drape around you... perhaps a combination of both?

You will definitely need to keep warm if you're going to be on deck. I've done those trips and it can feel quite windy and cold. I think I'd go for both a thinnish jumper and a shawl.

Have a lovely evening anyway!

NotSpaghetti Wed 14-Sep-22 09:03:01

Bombshell has a sale on:
www.bombshellhq.com/collections/summer-sale?uff_1cozhc_productType=Dresses&uff_351m5y_option%3ASize=16

Comfy if curvy.
I like the ones with a collar.

Dickens Wed 14-Sep-22 09:13:34

... PS. If you're going for high-heels, you'll need to tote them along with you for the restaurant.

Even on the Thames a boat will dip and swell. I've teetered around in heels on deck. And sprained an ankle.

Humbertbear Wed 14-Sep-22 09:29:21

Take a wrap

nandad Wed 14-Sep-22 09:33:46

Agree with Dickens, even on warm days it gets really cold on a moving boat on the Thames. Trousers and a tunic top are also a good idea. I personally prefer flat shoes if I’m walking in London due to cobbles and if I want to feel dressy take high heels with me.
Enjoy the day.

Riverwalk Wed 14-Sep-22 09:36:05

A river cruise and lunch is unlikely to have a dress code so don't worry about that. The forecast for the next two weeks isn't great, so variable making it difficult to know what to wear for anything.

Have a look at this Boden jersey dress - ignore the tall skinny model(!) they go up to size 22. Comes in different colours

www.boden.co.uk/en-gb/long-sleeve-jersey-midi-dress-french-navy-botanic-bud/sty-d0311-nvy?cat=C1_S2_G4

Riverwalk Wed 14-Sep-22 09:41:17

I live on the Thames, not literally, and these cruisers often go by and I've been on a few.

They are almost entirely enclosed with little open deck space, so you shouldn't get chilly when on board.

Dickens Wed 14-Sep-22 09:55:55

Riverwalk

I like that dress!

BigBertha1 Wed 14-Sep-22 09:59:19

SEASALT have all their things in a 16 which is not that big its average. Stretchy jersey dresses that are a nice thick jersey but stylish if you accessorise with some nice beads and maybe a chunky cardigan/coat.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Sep-22 10:07:10

My choice would be a trouser suit with a nice top and flattish shoes.

Caleo Wed 14-Sep-22 10:20:47

Stiletto heels and a broad brimmed hat.

Caleo Wed 14-Sep-22 10:21:22

Take Hyacinth Bucket as your model.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Sep-22 10:23:58

Stilettos on a moving boat???

Esmay Wed 14-Sep-22 10:29:59

I agree with Dickens :

I also would wear a loose top and trousers with a warm jacket / jumper -layers that you can adapt .

I'd avoid heels - flats are best .

I'd be tempted with a waterproof mac . I once was soaked queuing to get on the boat .

I've been on lots of river cruises . It can be chilly .
There is no dress code .
You aren't big at a size 16 !

Just enjoy it !

MawtheMerrier Wed 14-Sep-22 10:33:03

Caleo

Stiletto heels and a broad brimmed hat.

Can’t agree with the big hat! (Or indeed stilettos!)
Did you see Nicola Sturgeon hanging on to her hat at Turnhouse yesterday?
I think you would look massively overdressed - who wears a big hat to lunch, anyway.
I might take a hint from the restaurant you are eating at- is it grand? Traditional?? Trendy? Middle of the road?
Think of what you would wear to that, then adapt for a breezy boat. And it will be breezy on the river!
A wrap or cashmere poncho with smart trousers and jacket or top would be my go to, but I know I tend to underdress rather than risk looking like Hyacinth!..

Caleo Wed 14-Sep-22 10:35:09

A light fluttering scarf to blow across the gentleman's face would be a nice flirtatious note

MawtheMerrier Wed 14-Sep-22 10:41:04

Are you just taking the proverbial Caleo ?
I believe.OP is asking a genuine question and to make fun of her is out of order.

M0nica Wed 14-Sep-22 10:58:06

High heels are a no-no on any boat. Even on the Thames an inconsiderate small boat going past at speed and causing a wash can momentarily rock even quite a big Thames passenger boat and make it unsteady.

Boats also have wooden floors and high narrow heels are a curse. They pit and damage the deck.

Currently there is absolutely no excuse for wearing heels on a boat. Whether you wear pretty flatties or fashionable trainers, you will be dressed absolutely appropriately.

Blossoming Wed 14-Sep-22 11:05:21

MawtheMerrier

I agree, it’s nasty.

Dickens Wed 14-Sep-22 11:18:22

Germanshepherdsmum

Stilettos on a moving boat???

Quite!

Stilettos on the wooden decking are ruinous, though we didn't ban them on our boats but, more importantly, they are a liability for the wearer.

None of the crew wore ties either - in an emergency they can also be dangerous.

I agree with you - a trouser suit and warm 'top' of some kind or other... dressy and practical at the same time.

BlueSapphire Wed 14-Sep-22 11:21:39

I like that dress too, but would have to get it shortened as I'm 5ft nothing!

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 14-Sep-22 11:46:50

Remember it’s breezy on the river. A fullish skirt could be more revealing than intended. ?

NotSpaghetti Wed 14-Sep-22 11:58:21

Caleo

Stiletto heels and a broad brimmed hat.

grin

Davida1968 Wed 14-Sep-22 12:04:20

Comfortable flat shoes! A nice cardi AND a shawl...