Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Partner refuses to speak to my 8 year old grandson

(143 Posts)
sandra13 Sun 28-Jan-24 00:47:29

My OH (of just over a year) refuses to speak on the phone to my oldest GS who is 8. He says it’s because he found him rude the first time he met him a year ago. I have tried to get him to accept that sometimes kids are not at their best when meeting people for the first time. He’s 78 and insists that when he was a child he never interrupted. I’ve tried to tell him that times have changed but he refuses to listen. I’ve asked him to move on and try build a relationship with my GS but he flatly refuses. My OH and I live abroad and he only sees my family 3-4 times a year for a couple of hours at a time. I visit more often. I’m alone at the moment and my GS is coming on a sleepover tomorrow and my OH has told me to tell my grandson to leave me alone in another room and not interrupt me when I am talking on the phone to him. I don’t want to do that because if my GS does interrupt me my OH will sulk and use it as another reason to confirm why he doesn’t like him. He has no relationship with his own granddaughters (8 and 10) and blames his daughter, but I think he is the problem. His biggest concern with his GDs is that they are doted on my their mother.
I think he is being self-centred. I have given up most of my time with my family to live abroad with him but his behaviour indicates that I must always put him first (but without actually saying that).
Advice please.

OldFrill Sun 28-Jan-24 01:22:11

I wouldn't be ringing the self-centred git sorry husband, when grandson was there. I'd make sure the self-centred git sorry husband knows exactly where unreasonable behaviour and demands get him - silenced.

Grams2five Sun 28-Jan-24 01:40:04

OldFrill

I wouldn't be ringing the self-centred git sorry husband, when grandson was there. I'd make sure the self-centred git sorry husband knows exactly where unreasonable behaviour and demands get him - silenced.

I concur. I would also be deciding if this is the sort of man I want to spend my years with, and lose time with my family. I’m sorry you’re dealing with a stubborn petulant child while
Trying to have a relationship with your grandson.

mummytummy Sun 28-Jan-24 01:45:08

OldFrill

Totally agree, apart from the silenced bit, I’d be condsidering a divorce..

You’ve given up so much for him. I hope you have a robust will in place and not favouring him.

V3ra Sun 28-Jan-24 01:46:01

While your grandson, who you don't see very often, is having a sleepover I can't see any need for your husband, who you live with, to interrupt by phoning you unless he wishes to speak to the boy.
Which he clearly doesn't, so why do it...? 🤔

Advice please : don't answer the phone.

Whethertomorrow Sun 28-Jan-24 04:35:19

Why are you with a sanctimonious, self centred, grumpy nasty old man?

Can’t you just see your lovely typical 8 year grandson asking in future years why didn’t my grandad like me? What did I do wrong?

Mind you I don’t think you stand a chance of getting a good relationship between your obnoxious and stubborn partner and anyone else if he doesn’t even like his own granddaughters.

That a man can think so little of and behave so badly towards children and obviously his adult daughter is appalling.

Why are you even with him? He’s obviously splitting you away from your family as much as he can.

Did you move abroad to be with him or did you live there already? I’d be careful you are not being isolated from support and help.

Oopsadaisy1 Sun 28-Jan-24 05:16:16

Red flags flying.

He’s trying to separate you from your family so that he has you to himself.

How sweet………………

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jan-24 05:55:15

He’s 78 and insists that when he was a child he never interrupted

Sadly he’s a selfish man child. Do you really want to live out your days with this nasty, controlling man? He has no relationship with his own grandchildren and he’s now set on alienating you from yours.

He’s not likely to stop till he’s the only person in your life and all your focus is on him and his selfish ways. Sadly, it sounds like he’s already succeeding and from experience this situation will continue to worsen unless you find the courage to stand up to him. I hope you do.
🚩🚩🚩

karmalady Sun 28-Jan-24 06:04:00

Horrible man who want a carer all to himself. He is a narcissist, get rid of him and keep your family close

Mizuna Sun 28-Jan-24 06:17:41

This makes me so cross. He's a controller. How dare he dictate to you about your grandson?!! He's trying to isolate you. You ask for advice: work hard at standing up to him and if that fails leave.

NotAGran55 Sun 28-Jan-24 06:50:13

As they say on Mumsnet- LTB.
You have only been with him for a year and this will just be the start of the misery to come.

Curtaintwitcher Sun 28-Jan-24 06:57:17

I have a totally different opinion from everyone else here. It sounds as though your grandson is spoiled, hasn't been taught any manners or respect. It is not ok to interrupt someone while they are talking on the phone, unless there is an emergency.

There is this assumption that a new partner must also take on the rest of the family. I don't agree. We all have different standards and your new partner seems to have higher standards than you. Find someone who is as lax on manners as you are.

mumofmadboys Sun 28-Jan-24 07:05:19

If a child interupts once it doesn't mean they are lacking in manners! Children deserve second and third chances ,acceptance,love and forgiveness. It sounds as if OH is very unforgiving. If he loved you he wouldn't behave like this. He sounds a very rigid thinker lacking compromise and flexibility

Ladyleftfieldlover Sun 28-Jan-24 07:08:56

Is this another made up story? Why on earth would anyone want to be with an overbearing oaf of a man like this? Does he have any redeeming qualities?

Grannynannywanny Sun 28-Jan-24 07:12:40

Curtaintwitcher

There is this assumption that a new partner must also take on the rest of the family. I don't agree. We all have different standards and your new partner seems to have higher standards than you. Find someone who is as lax on manners as you are.

This man formed his opinion on his first meeting a year ago with a then 7 year old child. Since then he has chosen to ignore him, refuses to have a relationship with him and makes derogatory remarks about him to his grandmother. I can’t see in any way how he has higher standards than the OP. Quite the opposite . His behaviour is nothing short of bullying and controlling.

BlueBelle Sun 28-Jan-24 07:41:36

Leave him, he sounds a spoilt, controlling man child
No one would get a look in if they were that childish and nasty about any of my family and after a year !!!
Nasty post curtaintwitcher she’s not asking him to take on the rest of the family just to be kind and leave her to her few chats or brief meet-ups
Incompatible with you, and your needs, jump ship asap

Allsorts Sun 28-Jan-24 07:46:35

I cannot understand how anyone would put up with being told what to do or not do, however lonely I was. Wouldn't want him.

Allsorts Sun 28-Jan-24 07:48:33

Curtain twitcher, not a nice post.

Galaxy Sun 28-Jan-24 07:51:44

Run very fast.

petra Sun 28-Jan-24 07:51:51

Advice. Get out now while you still can.

Furret Sun 28-Jan-24 08:05:20

Run for the hills.

JaneJudge Sun 28-Jan-24 08:06:18

Move back to be closer to your family. It is a year long relationship and he appears to be controlling. You being in another country whilst this is going on makes you more vulnerable.

luluaugust Sun 28-Jan-24 08:19:54

As you say OH rather than DH I presume you aren’t married. Just return to your family on a long visit and decide what you want to do, so many red flags

Luckygirl3 Sun 28-Jan-24 08:41:23

This is a new relationship and maybe you need to ask yourself if you really need this man in your life. He does not sound an asset. Break free and enjoy your relationships with your family. You are not obliged to blight your life with this dreadful man.

M0nica Sun 28-Jan-24 08:42:41

OK, he s 78 and when he was a child he never interupted, that was his choice. I am 80, two years older than him and when I was a child I was always interupting, so what.

What either of us did as children 70 years ago has absolutely no relevance to the relationship between you, him and your grandson today. Except it seems to me he hasn't grown up mentally in the 70 years since he was 8, hopefully your grandson will.

This is/will turn out to be an abusive relationship. get out of it while you can.