Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

If I Had My Time Again..,.,

(29 Posts)
Calendargirl Fri 09-Feb-24 15:48:36

One thing I would change is my wedding ring.

Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but I’ve been married 51 years. Wide rings were fashionable back then, and mine is wide. (Think hula hoop). And although my fingers don’t seem to have changed, I know they must have. In hot weather, I struggle to get my ring on and off, so frequently don’t wear it. But this time of year, it fits well, so am reluctant to have it altered.

So a narrow band would have been more sensible.

Having said all that, I wouldn’t swap DH!

Georgesgran Fri 09-Feb-24 16:00:25

I’m not sentimental over rings.
My original was very wide, plain yellow gold. I then swapped that for a much thinner one, but in the late 80’s decided I preferred white metals, so I changed to a narrow white gold band, then as I didn’t want to take my engagement ring on a Nile cruise in 2005, I treated myself to a white gold diamond band, which I’m still wearing.

polomint Fri 09-Feb-24 16:03:37

No way would I change my wedding ring. Its been on for 58 years and never been taken off. Same for my engagement ring

Parsley3 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:07:40

I had my wedding ring refashioned to include rubies for my wedding anniversary. I wanted a reminder that I would wear every day and not an extra ring. I love it.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 09-Feb-24 16:09:40

I have never taken my wedding ring off. I only wear my engagement ring if going somewhere special.

Anniebach Fri 09-Feb-24 16:10:52

Have had mine for 58 years, my husband died after 8 years so mine saddens me

Judy54 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:27:57

I reluctantly changed my wide wedding ring for a narrower band in exactly the same style due to arthritic fingers and it is a much better fit. It is an exact replica and no one can tell the difference. I still have and wear my engagement ring which has been made larger. It is very delicate and it suits my small hands, I absolutely love it. Mr J and I chose both rings together and He is fine with my new smaller wedding band.

Primrose53 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:37:24

We had hardly any money when we got married. My engagement ring was about the cheapest in Ratners with a diamond so small you needed a magnifying glass!

My wedding ring was equally cheap. Gold band with engraved pattern similar to engagement ring. I stopped wearing the engagement ring years ago as it got very thin. The wedding ring was going the same way so my husband bought me a Russian wedding ring. Three rings in one in white gold, rose gold and yellow gold. 47 years married but not overly sentimental about either.

Georgesgran Fri 09-Feb-24 16:38:53

I’m just a magpie!
Anything shiny and I’m sold!
DH wasn’t bothered.

Kate1949 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:41:00

We bought mine in 1968 so it is a thick band. I wouldn't change it for the world. It is 9ct gold and was £11. We got a free set of teaspoons from the jewellers shop with our purchase!

Kate1949 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:44:22

My engagement ring was the same Primrose. When I proudly showed it of at work, a girl said 'That's not a diamond, it's a chipping' . She had a very large diamond on her ring.

MissInterpreted Fri 09-Feb-24 16:51:51

Kate1949

My engagement ring was the same Primrose. When I proudly showed it of at work, a girl said 'That's not a diamond, it's a chipping' . She had a very large diamond on her ring.

What a horrible thing to say! I had someone had work say something similar about my ring too. I didn't care - it was the meaning in the ring which was precious to me, not the monetary value.

Kate1949 Fri 09-Feb-24 16:53:06

Exactly? She married and they divorced. Me and my chipping stayed married!

welbeck Fri 09-Feb-24 16:59:38

diamonds are a girl's best friend, maybe.
esp if she hasn't got anything else.

rockgran Fri 09-Feb-24 17:30:24

I have lots of lovely rings (bought for various birthdays, anniversaries etc.) so I wear them in rotation. They were all bought by my husband so I don't feel I need to wear my wedding ring all the time.

GrannySomerset Fri 09-Feb-24 17:40:40

Arthritis has meant that my 1962 wide gold wedding ring had to be cut off on two occasions and after the second we bought a replacement because adding to the original again seemed a bit pointless. . It sits in my jewellery box and maybe one day it can be made into a ring for DGD1. It has our initials and the date of the wedding engraved on the inside and I couldn’t bear the thought of them being erased, but if it is remade for someone else that won’t matter.

Katyj Fri 09-Feb-24 17:44:03

I had to take my wedding ring off after 44 years of marriage all of a sudden it became really tight I hadn’t put on weight so no idea why. I’ve replaced it with a much narrower band, it’s slightly big now so hope it doesn’t happen again.

MissInterpreted Fri 09-Feb-24 17:57:55

Kate1949

Exactly? She married and they divorced. Me and my chipping stayed married!

Haha, exactly the same!

Greenfinch Fri 09-Feb-24 18:30:11

If I had my time again I would move from the over populated SE to an island possibly in the Outer Hebrides where my family originally came from.

cakmib Fri 09-Feb-24 19:09:54

Thats interesting Greenfinch. I f I had my time again, I'd have had my children when I was younger and been a bit more savvy generally.

flappergirl Fri 09-Feb-24 19:35:49

Anniebach

Have had mine for 58 years, my husband died after 8 years so mine saddens me

Oh Anniebach. I'm so sorry. Sending you love.

flappergirl Fri 09-Feb-24 19:51:56

If I had my time over again I would have remained in Italy where I went to live, newly divorced and with my 5 year old son, in 1982. At that time Italy was a good place to be (or at least it was for us).

A wonderfully healthy diet, lots of sunshine, trips to the beach and both my son and I became fluent in the language. My son absolutely loved the local school and had so many friends.

I came back for various reasons that seemed important at the time and, of course, life has a habit of bogging you down and there never came a "right time" to return.

We went back for holidays over many years but by then I had a mortgage, son in English school etc etc etc.

The what ifs of life.

woodenspoon Fri 09-Feb-24 19:55:59

My ring dating from the 70’s is slim compared to the wide bands at the time. I have small hands and fingers so the wide band wouldn’t suit me. Like others, my engagement ring wasn’t expensive but I’ve had it remodelled and I’m happy with it. The same stones but a few extra were added.

midgey Fri 09-Feb-24 19:58:57

I sold my wedding ring when times were very very tough!

Mamardoit Fri 09-Feb-24 21:06:33

Primrose53

We had hardly any money when we got married. My engagement ring was about the cheapest in Ratners with a diamond so small you needed a magnifying glass!

My wedding ring was equally cheap. Gold band with engraved pattern similar to engagement ring. I stopped wearing the engagement ring years ago as it got very thin. The wedding ring was going the same way so my husband bought me a Russian wedding ring. Three rings in one in white gold, rose gold and yellow gold. 47 years married but not overly sentimental about either.

We were the same. No money so had cheap engagement ring and wedding rings from Ratners. Forty years later DH gave me an eternity ring which I love. We cashed in the wide wedding rings and I now have a thinner one. DH doesn't like wearing rings so we didn't replace his.