Gransnet forums

Ask a gran

Too young for Alcohol?

(86 Posts)
DollyD Thu 22-Feb-24 15:29:27

I’ve had to bite my tongue I’m afraid but I’m really not happy about my Dd and Dsil buying my 15 year old (16 in a couple of months) a bottle of larger when they go out for a meal.
This seems to have started last Christmas and is now a regular occurrence.
He also goes with his Father to watch football every weekend and goes fishing with him and I’m sure the same thing is happening on these occasions.
He’s very mature looking for his age and at over 6 foot tall, could easily pass for 18 but still, he’s just a boy.
Is it just me?

Smileless2012 Thu 22-Feb-24 15:34:40

Perhaps they prefer him to have a larger when he's with them so he wont feel the need to drink with friends when his parents aren't around DollyD.

I'm glad you've bitten your tongue as this is between your D, s.i.l. and their son.

Katie59 Thu 22-Feb-24 15:42:40

There is no minimum drinking age unless it is licensed premises, even then it’s easy to get around the rules.

Shelflife Thu 22-Feb-24 15:43:01

I would 'nt worry too much about this . In the grand scheme of things it is no big deal - there are many other issues of greater importance that I hope you never have to worry about. Legally he is of course too young to drink alcohol but that is for his parents to think about - not you . You are wise to keep quiet about this. He is almost 16 and will be 18 before you can turn round ! and able to chose for himself whether to drink alcohol or not. Try not to get too involved with this , he is his parents responsibility not yours - that is one of the joys of being a GP. However I recognize your concern.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Feb-24 15:49:43

French children drink small amounts of alcohol at family meals.

It's probably better to have an occasional lager with his father or when out with his parents for a normal than them banning it completely. In that case he might do some sneaky drinking with his friends just to find out what it's like, then overdo it.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Feb-24 15:50:19

normal
Meal!

Norah Thu 22-Feb-24 16:29:11

I understand.

I'd not like this at all, and I'd say not a word.

His parents, their rules.

Katie59 Thu 22-Feb-24 16:38:58

Did you know it was legal for 16 yr old to buy his 14 yr old girlfriend alchohol in a restaurant - really.
It’s only illegal in a “bar” and that’s a different place, there really is no minimum drinking age.

rafichagran Thu 22-Feb-24 16:53:32

They are perhaps teaching him to drink responsibly.

Witzend Thu 22-Feb-24 16:56:40

I really don’t think the odd lager is going to hurt. If it were a lot of vodka shots, it’d be a very different matter.

Germanshepherdsmum Thu 22-Feb-24 17:00:49

I agree. He is almost 16 and is being introduced to alcohol gradually and sensibly in the company of his family. As a result he is likely to be far more responsible with alcohol than his friends who are suddenly able to drink for the first time and have no idea of boundaries. I introduced my son to the very occasional weak beer at around the same age and he has always been very responsible with drinking,

wildswan16 Thu 22-Feb-24 17:02:13

They sound like very responsible and sensible parents.

sodapop Thu 22-Feb-24 17:08:28

I agree wildswan16 very sensible.

Two threads today one person too old to drink alcohol and the other too young. Better make the most of the middle years smile

Katie59 Thu 22-Feb-24 17:09:58

Katie59

Did you know it was legal for 16 yr old to buy his 14 yr old girlfriend alchohol in a restaurant - really.
It’s only illegal in a “bar” and that’s a different place, there really is no minimum drinking age.

That is out of date, there is no distinction between a “bar” and a “restaurant” now you do need to be 18 to buy alcohol regardless

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Feb-24 17:27:08

I think 16 or 17 year olds can drink beer, wine or cider to have with a meal (except in Northern Ireland) - but I doubt think they can buy it. They have to be accompanied by an adult as far as I'm aware.
But it’s illegal for people this age to drink spirits even with a meal.

I think the 14 year old thing has changed to be honest - as I think you (as an adult) used to be able to buy lager beer and wine for 14 year olds to consume with a meal.

I know there are law variations around the country Wales and England I think are the same but Scotland and Northern Ireland have their own rules.

I know they can drink at home if they are over 5 🙄

It's obviously not straightforward.

Re this thread, I wouldn't be concerned to be honest.

I don't panic when our grandson likes to join in with a "toast" at birthdays and Christmas which he did from age 15 - but only at home. None of my family are big drinkers.

We have a strange attitude to alcohol in the UK. Obviously it's a drug and we are better off without it but we don't seem to have got the education side of it right I feel.

NotSpaghetti Thu 22-Feb-24 17:28:50

X post Katie sorry.

sodapop grin

kittylester Thu 22-Feb-24 17:58:57

I bet he and his mates drink already. Much better to help him learn to drink sensibly.

SingcoTime Thu 22-Feb-24 18:04:40

I would feel uneasy as well. I understand the concept of introducing them in a controlled environment with family vs with mates but I can't say I like it. Having said that, best course of action is to keep opinions to yourself. Questioning parenting decisions seldom goes well, even when intentions are nothing but loving.

Nanatoone Thu 22-Feb-24 18:13:42

I can’t see what the problem is here. The boy is with his parents and a lager (weak beer). So many youngsters don’t drink but take drugs. I know what I’d prefer.

Cossy Thu 22-Feb-24 18:21:36

I have no issue with this whatsoever. If I did I’d keep quiet as it’s none of my business. He’s almost 16 not 6!

DollyD Thu 22-Feb-24 18:22:38

Thanks for all your replies.
Even though I said I was biting my tongue, it was just a figure of speech and I’m not going to say anything, I know to never interfere.
I feel a bit better about it now I know the majority think it’s not too bad.

BlueBelle Thu 22-Feb-24 18:41:30

I d stop worrying as well, how many 16 year olds are smoking, vaping, taking drugs and drinking legal or illegal
I say don’t worry better to do it with permission that behind the families backs

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Feb-24 18:42:13

So - 16 year olds can get married, start a family, vote, join the Forces, pay taxes but they're not old enough to drink or leave education!

I'm not saying any of the above is right, btw.

Callistemon21 Thu 22-Feb-24 18:43:23

We have a strange attitude to alcohol in the UK. Obviously it's a drug and we are better off without it but we don't seem to have got the education side of it right I feel.

This 👏👏👏

Poppyred Thu 22-Feb-24 18:46:59

The OP is the parent!