Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Help p!ease

(85 Posts)
Blue45Sapphire Fri 09-Mar-18 17:49:46

My DH died last week. How do I cope at his funeral? I feel sick at the thought of it.

Blue45Sapphire Tue 17-Apr-18 08:48:48

I'm having second thoughts about that particular cruise; have just looked through that particular ship's brochure for next year and have found virtually the same cruise on the same ship for £3000 less! So think I will book that one instead, I'd be a fool to take the more expensive one. Going to neighbour 's coffee morning today, then probably pop out to shops this afternoon as I need some plastic storage boxes (just starting to declutter!) Treating myself to a day out shopping tomorrow at nearest large shopping mall, so will treat myself to lunch - and wine! Also have £20 in vouchers to spend in M&S. Dreamt about DH last night, had little smile on my face when I woke up and remembered my dream...

MawBroon Tue 17-Apr-18 09:13:23

That is the right sort of dream to have Bluesapphire
I once (sadly only once) felt a very gentle pressure all down my side in bed, as if he was “spooning”. That left me with a smile too.
A friend with no religious beliefs once told me it is the departed one’s way of assuring you that all is well.
Hold that thought flowers

Blue45Sapphire Tue 17-Apr-18 20:10:52

Oh, Mawbroon, I felt that too, the night after he had died, it was really weird. I called out and asked if that was him. No answer, sadly. After going to a neighbour's for coffee this morning, I came home and booked my cruise straightaway; my friends were very supportive and told me it was an excellent idea. Not until June next year, but something to look forward to. My daughter and I are also planning to go to India sometime, I've always fancied going, and DH never wanted to.

Blue45Sapphire Tue 15-May-18 19:12:10

Someone tell me whether I'm being silly or not, but it would have been DH 's birthday tomorrow and I've bought him a card. I just wanted to wish him a happy birthday, wherever he is.....and tell him he is much missed and loved. I will be having a busy day, bit of tidying up in the garden in the morning, cinema in the afternoon, and then my two DGDs are staying over as their mum and dad are out to a pub quiz. Then I walk them to school the next morning.

phoenix Tue 15-May-18 19:36:46

Not silly, Blue45Sapphire, just doing what feels right at the time.

Early days, my dear early days. Just do what feels right for you, and bugger the rest of them! flowers

Jane10 Tue 15-May-18 19:40:03

Not being silly at all. It's a lovely idea. How about planting something in the garden for him? A nice flower or bulb or something (I'm not a gardener!).
When my Dad died a nieghbour planted a white lilac tree from my Mum for him in the communal garden. We live there now and it's always such a pleasure when it flowers.

Blue45Sapphire Sat 09-Jun-18 21:41:43

Our Silver wedding rose is flowering beautifully this year. It was planted in 1997. It would have been our 46th anniversary this year. Cut the grass today, then sat in the sun and had a (large) GT! Just had steak and red wine, and am watching the rugby.

Jane10 Sun 10-Jun-18 06:25:20

Sounds like a good day Blue45sapphire. A milestone too. sunshine

pheasant75 Tue 26-Jun-18 11:34:54

I lost a mother and a close friend some while back took me along time to get back to normal if you ever can ,there are bodies out there who can lend support and help i would suggest you make contact they are there to help, friends are OK but you will probably need extra help through this difficult time,memories are always there