Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My DS2 would have been 30 tomorrow

(122 Posts)
phoenix Sun 28-Apr-19 17:17:34

Hello all, and sending good wishes.

Feeling a bit low, DS2 took his own life aged 19, in 2008.

As OP says, tomorrow would have been his 30th birthday. Remembering what I was doing 30 years ago today (jogging up and down the corridor in the maternity unit, trying to get things "going" so that I didn't have to go to be induced the next morning! grin)

But also wondering about what might have been. Would he be married, with children of his own? He and his dear friend Theresa used to joke that if neither of them were married or in a relationship by 30, then they may as well marry each other!I

I miss him, the person that he was, and the one he might have become.

Always loving you, my darling boy.

Bathsheba Sun 28-Apr-19 19:08:30

Phoenix I am so very sorry. Such unimaginable pain, such heartbreaking loss ?

Love to all of you who have experienced the loss of a child flowers

Cherrytree59 Sun 28-Apr-19 19:13:50

My heart goes out to you Phoenix and other Gnetters who have 'lost' a young child or an adult child thanks

We all hope and expect that our children will out live us as parents.

annodomini Sun 28-Apr-19 19:15:50

Dear phoenix, I don't know how you kept going but I, for one, am very glad you did. You live with loss but make us happy ?

lemongrove Sun 28-Apr-19 19:18:24

So very sad Phoenix but the young man he was lives on in your memories of him.
?

grannyactivist Sun 28-Apr-19 19:53:20

The 'what ifs' and 'I wonders...' don't go away do they? And I'm glad - it signals that the connection will always be there. Sending you a (((hug))) Phoenix, you can use it straight away or save it for tomorrow. smile

BlueBelle Sun 28-Apr-19 20:07:12

Dear Phoenix I am so very sorry and to anyone else who has lost a child small or older it’s unimaginable and my only wish is that I go before any of my children or grandchildren I don’t think I could bear it
To all bereaved on here my love and thoughts x

Callistemon Sun 28-Apr-19 20:08:49

Phoenix the 'what ifs' are always there
flowers x

Kandinsky Sun 28-Apr-19 20:14:05

Dear Phoenix & any other g’netter who has lost a child. I’m so desperately sorry, the heartache must be unbearable.
sending you much love xx

Iam64 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:16:32

Phoenix, sending love as I can't find words that express my feelings on reading your post xx

Nandalot Sun 28-Apr-19 20:18:20

flowers Thinking of you. x

Urmstongran Sun 28-Apr-19 20:19:04

Bless you phoenix and kathsue too. Unimaginable heartache for you both to bear.

Your son would have been 30y tomorrow phoenix? A milestone birthday and not surprisingly you’ve turned to ‘what ifs’ and revisiting memories of your dear boy.

They say grief is the price we pay for love.

I shall think of you tomorrow. x

Nannylovesshopping Sun 28-Apr-19 20:20:08

So sad for you and all others who have lost their dear
children, the pain is unimaginable.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Apr-19 20:20:29

Kandinsky X posts. ? for you

Fiona86 Sun 28-Apr-19 20:32:16

I was feeling miffed about being directed to gransnet based on my age as I don't have grankids yet but this message has given me a reality check. I could so easily be in your situation (my daughter had a big wobble) and I am so sorry for the situation you are in. We love our children so much.

SueDonim Sun 28-Apr-19 23:28:57

I'm so sorry, Phoenix. The pain must be unbearable. sad

Eloethan Sun 28-Apr-19 23:31:28

So sorry phoenix.

merlotgran Sun 28-Apr-19 23:35:50

flowers phoenix

GrandmaKT Sun 28-Apr-19 23:43:46

Oh Phoenix flowers. I am constantly amazed and humbled to hear the awful things people on this website have had to endure. You are always there for everyone and make us smile and laugh every day.
Our children are so precious. Will think of you tomorrow.

grannyqueenie Sun 28-Apr-19 23:48:31

Thinking of you phoenix and others too who've had such sad losses in life. flowers

GrandmainOz Mon 29-Apr-19 00:04:33

Oh Phoenix I feel so much for you. I also lost my beloved son to suicide.
He was 20. It will be six years in June.
My heart bleeds for youflowers

Sara65 Mon 29-Apr-19 06:54:32

I’m sure it doesn’t get any easier, an unbearable loss for you.
You must be, like so many others of you, enormously brave, thinking about you all, who have lost a child

TwiceAsNice Mon 29-Apr-19 07:02:19

So sorry Phoenix memories so bittersweet. My son would have been 39 in February this year. He died just before his 5th birthday from cancer. Not the same I know but I still remember how much he suffered at the end and miss him every day. Thoughts and prayers for you today

downtoearth Mon 29-Apr-19 07:22:59

phoenix
I understand,my first daughter would have been celebrating her 40th last year,she didnt survive due to brain damage at birth and l wonder at how/who she would be.My second daughter like your son took her own life in 2004 and approaching her 40th birthday,people move on,but to us mums it never leaves you the wondering and the what ifs and the holes left in your life big hugs for all the mums here that are in a club we never wanted to join flowers

Anja Mon 29-Apr-19 07:54:36

‘What might have been’ is so sad. I only found your post today. I hope you survived such a heartbreaking anniversary flowers

Harris27 Mon 29-Apr-19 08:16:01

My sister lost her son th same way she doesn't say much now but near his birthday she goes very quiet. She too often wonders what he would have done or how his life would of panned out. She is a brave woman like you has got on with her life but has quiet moments of reflection and I think this is like you. Bless you try and keep the good memories going and keep them with you always. Thinking of you X