Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Queen Elizabeth hosting the American President so soon after her recent bereavement

(112 Posts)
IslandGranny Thu 03-Jun-21 18:33:30

I just heard in the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is hosting the Bidens at Windsor castle this coming weekend. I just think it’s far to soon to expect her to do any sort of public duty. How can she be expected to make conversation or listen to other people, it’s too much for anyone in that situation. I remember not being able to function at any level after my husband died. I wasn’t safe to drive and goodness knows what rubbish I spoke to people. Emotionally you are all over the place. What if she feels sad and cries. For goodness sake it’s like some sort of torture putting her on show and expecting her to perform for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. I’m surprised Prince Charles hasn’t stepped in, he’s more than ready to do state occasions.!Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least.

Daisymae Thu 03-Jun-21 21:37:16

I don't think that there's any danger of the Queen falling to pieces in public. Most of the royal family are nothing if not self controlled and resilient.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Jun-21 21:41:24

Hmm. Unless HMTQ is a good actress she seemed to delight in Trump’s company when he visited!

MawBe Thu 03-Jun-21 21:43:39

She is a consummate professional Urmstongran plus the soul of good manners.

2020convert Thu 03-Jun-21 21:43:41

She is our Queen and has always shown herself head and shoulders above everyone and everything during her reign. She said she’d serve use for life, I believe she will (health permitting) so keep calm and carry on, hy should anyone consider she’d do anything less?

Urmstongran Thu 03-Jun-21 21:49:44

Indeed she is Maw.
We have as a nation very gratefully come to expect nothing less.

I still think these photographs illustrate genuine enjoyment!

Calendargirl Thu 03-Jun-21 21:56:25

Although she must miss her husband, it’s perhaps a relief that she doesn’t have to worry about his health any longer.

As for hosting the Bidens, I would imagine it will be quite low key as it is so soon after the Duke’s death, it’s not like she will be making up beds and cooking meals.
I’m sure Charles and William will be sharing hosting duties.

Nonogran Thu 03-Jun-21 22:02:56

From what I've seen of HM in the press, since PP's demise, I think she looks relaxed & well. More cheerful too. The worry about PP's health is behind her & she's moving forward. Good for her.

Kim19 Thu 03-Jun-21 22:08:13

My husband's funeral took place on a Wednesday. I returned to my office on the Friday afternoon. Don't ask me why but I most certainly knew that if I didn't do that I would not have gone back at all ever. Have never understood this but it was most certainly the 'right' action for me. Had a few hiccups along the way in the immediate aftermath but colleagues quietly supported me. HM obviously has a driving force within her. Amen to that.

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 22:12:46

PP had been a "creaking gate" for quite a while which would have given her the time to brace herself for when his actual time was up. I think there'd been a couple of scares which she'd have prepared herself for.
Latterly it would have felt like a grieving period when he was in hospital for longer than usual.

flump Thu 03-Jun-21 22:21:32

Does anyone seriously think the Queen said what was written underneath that photo? It was posted by a Trumpist and that group of people have one thing in common with "the man who would be king" - complete and utter delusion! I would hope HM is more discerning.

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 22:24:38

Urmstongran

Hmm. Unless HMTQ is a good actress she seemed to delight in Trump’s company when he visited!

We have a term for that kind of smile in our family, Urmstongran which means plastering a beaming smile on your face when doing your duty under very difficult circumstances.

As for the interviews - that is just fake news. Of course she didn't say that.

Kim19 Thu 03-Jun-21 22:27:44

EV, do you really think that anticipating a prospective situation (death in this case) equates to the real thing? I'm not sure that is the case.

Galaxy Thu 03-Jun-21 22:28:03

Yes I have done that smile many times.

Urmstongran Thu 03-Jun-21 22:28:36

Yes I agree the quote was probably daft.
But I think her smile reached her eyes & was genuine.

Anyway.
Back to Biden....

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 22:34:35

But I think her smile reached her eyes & was genuine.

Of course. She's a professional who has had years of practice at smiling.

maddyone Thu 03-Jun-21 22:43:43

I feel for her having to do this, but of course she may want to do it.

Luckygirl Thu 03-Jun-21 22:54:07

Duty has been the theme of her life. It is possible that carrying on that habit of a lifetime is what is seeing her through.

Talullah Thu 03-Jun-21 23:01:27

Luckygirl

Duty has been the theme of her life. It is possible that carrying on that habit of a lifetime is what is seeing her through.

Agreed, Luckygirl

As for Trump, I'll not forget the moment he lost his Queen.

www.nytimes.com/2018/07/14/us/trump-walks-front-queen-elizabeth.html

EllanVannin Thu 03-Jun-21 23:01:42

I'm sure that at 99 you'd anticipate death considering the man was ill Kim. The Queen isn't stupid and would have been prepared for any eventuality.

MayBee70 Thu 03-Jun-21 23:07:19

Urmstongran

That’s really weird in that, the things The Queen supposedly said about Trump sound just like they could have been written by Trump himself. Uncanny.

Lucca Thu 03-Jun-21 23:07:44

“ for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. ”

Well I’ve seen some prejudice on GN but this ?! Blimey.

Pots and kettles spring to mind,..

Callistemon Thu 03-Jun-21 23:22:04

That’s really weird in that, the things The Queen supposedly said about Trump sound just like they could have been written by Trump himself. Uncanny.

"It was a wonderful, wonderful thing she said; just truly beautiful, very very nice. I'm just like a son to her, and I just have great respect for her. And she loves me. I'm just lovable"

Msida Thu 03-Jun-21 23:26:49

I have never seen her smile so mu h rece3!!

hollysteers Thu 03-Jun-21 23:33:14

Prince Philip spent most of his time away from the Queen at Sandringham anyway before ill health and lockdown changed his plans to Windsor. Apparently his closest female friend was Penny Mountbatten, his carriage driving companion. The Queen was used to long periods without him and I don’t think he was the easiest person to have around. Not exactly Darby and Joan, although he was a great support through the years.
As mentioned before, it’s not as if she has to cope alone, without much help, as we might do.
The Queen is going to be a very very hard act to follow and I would not like to be in that person’s shoes.

Pittcity Fri 04-Jun-21 08:40:48

The Bidens will make the visit easy. It will all be choreographed and they will follow the script.
They have had much personal tragedy in their lives and will know what to say.

As others have said it is the work that the Queen has done for almost 70 years and so she can be on automatic pilot. She has none of the domestic worries that we have.