Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Queen Elizabeth hosting the American President so soon after her recent bereavement

(112 Posts)
IslandGranny Thu 03-Jun-21 18:33:30

I just heard in the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is hosting the Bidens at Windsor castle this coming weekend. I just think it’s far to soon to expect her to do any sort of public duty. How can she be expected to make conversation or listen to other people, it’s too much for anyone in that situation. I remember not being able to function at any level after my husband died. I wasn’t safe to drive and goodness knows what rubbish I spoke to people. Emotionally you are all over the place. What if she feels sad and cries. For goodness sake it’s like some sort of torture putting her on show and expecting her to perform for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. I’m surprised Prince Charles hasn’t stepped in, he’s more than ready to do state occasions.!Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least.

Anniebach Fri 04-Jun-21 08:42:27

And we don’t have the worries she has

Parsley3 Fri 04-Jun-21 08:55:14

Good heavens, surely the poster of the above pictures of ER and Trump doesn’t believe that the Queen actually said these words. It is common knowledge that her default position is “no comment”. Still, it gave me a laugh this morning.

Annsan Fri 04-Jun-21 11:06:35

She is a grownup woman and knows what she is doing!

Urmstongran Fri 04-Jun-21 11:16:45

It gave me a laugh too in the light of day. A silly post from me and I apologise for it.

Paperbackwriter Fri 04-Jun-21 11:18:08

It's all connected with the G7 thing so an ideal opportunity to entertain the Bidens without making it a full-on banquets-and-parades state visit.
I don't think the queen is likely to start blubbing when she's in company either! I mean, can you actually imagine her doing that? I get the impression she and the older royals find the idea of showing any emotion attention-seeking and rather vulgar.

jaylucy Fri 04-Jun-21 11:22:43

Duty or no duty. I can't see HM do anything she would not be comfortable with.
The Bidens are possibly the best for her to see - they too have experienced grief themselves.
People grieve differently in different ways and quite honestly, anyone that saw the tv coverage of when Prince Philip left the hospital that last time can only believe he was on borrowed time, so for some, the grieving would begin at that time.

nanaK54 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:25:35

It's time to put on make-up
It's time to light the lights
grin

icanhandthemback Fri 04-Jun-21 11:33:15

Despite not being elected, the Queen does her duty to the country better than any elected official but I doubt that she would host a visit by the Bidens if she wasn't up to it. However, this is a really important visit if Britain is hoping to negotiate a trade deal with America and win over President Biden to smooth the way.

HC30 Fri 04-Jun-21 11:38:43

Seriously American muppets?
After the the behaviour of Philip, Charles and Andrew you give the royal family high moral ground? Unelected royal family vs democratically elected president who has been open about his son's drug use....
Anyway more importantly why are they travelling...like Chatles and Camilla did to Greece when UK citizens cannot do so..?

Riggie Fri 04-Jun-21 11:43:27

This is her job and it will all be highly organised.

Newatthis Fri 04-Jun-21 11:44:11

So - I am a little confused over this as I thought the USA borders were still closed to UK citizens and vice versa (I haven't seen my daughter for 18 months, she lives in the USA and we're not permitted to travel) due to COVID. I know he is the president but is there one rule for one and one for another?

maddyone Fri 04-Jun-21 11:54:13

Yes Newatthis, you’re right, one rule for us but another for others. How can the British people be basically told that they shouldn’t travel when this is going on? The G7 meet again next week with a delegation from India attending, and they’re not even members of the G7. Meanwhile many people who have booked to go to Portugal this summer are being told that they shouldn’t go really.

Janeea Fri 04-Jun-21 11:56:50

Muppets? What a horrible thing to say! My Mum wanted to get on with her life after Dad died, that generation were tough I think

greenlady102 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:01:23

Urmstongran

It will be her first meeting in person with a foreign head of state since the pandemic hit, and the first since the death of the Duke of Edinburgh in April.

Amazing to think this will be the 13th POTUS she has met.

I think she ‘flicks a switch’ and goes into ‘work mode’. She can (somehow) hold her emotions in check. Duty comes first.

One has to admire how she does it - especially at her age.

I don't think she "flicks a switch" Not all people deal with grief in the same way and I got really fed up with all the people who wanted to hug me and assure me its alright to have a good cry IN PUBLIC! I mean what is she supposed to do? hide in a corner and howl for a "suitable" amount of time?

Anniebach Fri 04-Jun-21 12:04:38

HC30 drug use is acceptable but a broken marriage isn’t?

Pippa22 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:11:06

Island Granny, I think you are being very disrespectful in name calling the American President. He seems a really decent man, what a pity he had to wait so long before he got his position and the chance to make positive change.

Regarding the HM , she must have conducted so many duties in the public eye when feeling under par in her long life that I think she just gets on with it because that what she does. She is obviously a very resilient lady. All credit to her.

Callistemon Fri 04-Jun-21 12:13:04

Urmstongran

It gave me a laugh too in the light of day. A silly post from me and I apologise for it.

That's ok Urmstongran
I hope you didnt mind me writing Trump's speech for him either
grin

Nanette1955 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:17:15

IslandGranny, your post made me smile, but I think you’re sadly underestimating our amazing queen! She makes her own decisions, and from what I know to try to stop her doing that is not a wise idea. I too lost my wonderful husband a few years ago, but grief and mourning are very different for everyone so I don’t think we need to worry for her. X

Theoddbird Fri 04-Jun-21 12:25:18

The Queen is an amazing and highly intelligent woman. She was back to work not long after her dear husbands death. She dedicated to life to her country when she was quite young during a radio broadcast. She has never gone back on those words and never will....

EllanVannin Fri 04-Jun-21 12:26:32

I had to return to work 2 weeks after my H's death as at the time all I got was £54 a week widow's pension ( 1994 ). Probate took a while because there were complications from his late father's Will and 6 years tax to sort, so I had little choice.
My own salary was paid monthly so I had a couple more weeks to wait for that. Under these circumstances you have no choice but to be strong !

However, I hope in the near future to be reimbursed courtesy of the DWP who screwed up on the pensions from the past.

Shazmo24 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:33:04

President Biden has had major heartache too...losing his first wife and young daughter in a car crash & then losing another child to brain cancer. If anyone has the empathy its him. Maybe she will appreciate being able to talk through the sadness with someone who understands

greenlady102 Fri 04-Jun-21 12:33:04

IslandGranny

I just heard in the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth is hosting the Bidens at Windsor castle this coming weekend. I just think it’s far to soon to expect her to do any sort of public duty. How can she be expected to make conversation or listen to other people, it’s too much for anyone in that situation. I remember not being able to function at any level after my husband died. I wasn’t safe to drive and goodness knows what rubbish I spoke to people. Emotionally you are all over the place. What if she feels sad and cries. For goodness sake it’s like some sort of torture putting her on show and expecting her to perform for those American Muppets who won’t appreciate her sacrifice anyway. I’m surprised Prince Charles hasn’t stepped in, he’s more than ready to do state occasions.!Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least.

I think you just can't judge anybody by your own needs and behaviour

Pittcity Fri 04-Jun-21 12:56:45

"Surely her time of bereavement would be a year or so at least"

She's 95 and knows that she's not immortal. I'd get on with life if I was her!!

Kestrel Fri 04-Jun-21 12:59:35

She has been looking quite sad for a year or so now - I think she may have been coming to terms with the imminent loss of her hubby for quite a while before he died.

nanna8 Fri 04-Jun-21 13:11:31

You have to admire her, don’t you? She has a wonderful sense of duty and is as tough as they come!