Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Letter fr SD Should I respond

(34 Posts)
Droopdrawers Tue 10-Aug-21 23:13:36

DH died 12 weeks ago. We were married for 25yrs. He had a complicated life before I met him. He had a child when he was very young and the relationship ended quickly. Ex partner met someone who did not want him to have anything to do with the child and they moved away. He had sporadic contact over the years but never lasted. SD announced a few years ago that she wanted nothing to do with DH side of the family and broke contact with all other relatives. Moving forward when DH passed she was informed but made no contact until I received a letter saying how upset she was that she wasn’t included in the funeral. The letter also included some unpleasant things about me and DH. I understand she is grieving in her own way and she is entitled to her opinions. My DH did not behave well in the past but he was loving and devoted to me from the day I met him. I don’t know if I should write and explain that she was not included because as far as I was aware, she wanted nothing to do with him and when she didn’t contact the family, it just confirmed it. Not sure if I should respond or will it just open a can of worms. My head is all over the place. Any words of wisdom?

timetogo2016 Wed 11-Aug-21 11:27:33

Sorry for the loss of your Dh Droopdrawers.
I would personaly bin it,you have nothing to say to her,she made her choice and she can live with it.
She may well feel guilty,but now is not the time to write to you.
please take care.

allsortsofbags Wed 11-Aug-21 12:43:48

flowers Condolences for the loss of your DH

Nannarose suggestion of 1) putting your SD's letter away for a while and 2) writing a reply and putting that away are really good ideas.

Or write 2 letters to be put away and re-read at a future date.

One letter saying everything you wish to say - probably not ever to be sent.

One letter with very simple statements of :-

I am sorry for your loss. I accept you are grieving too.

I ensured you were notified of your fathers death I will not ( please don't use can not) be held responsible for the choice you made on receipt of that information.

Whilst I am sad (the word is sad not sorry)for the lost years I am not, nor ever have been responsible for the choices of others be they you or your father.

I wish you well as you find your way through your grief.

Kind Regards ...

A card might be better as it limits the space to write and keeps you concise.

It's a softer form of the Queen's 'Never explain, never complain'

It states your position firmly without getting you into an emotional tangle that can latter keep this dragging on and I don't think anyone would benefit from that. You certainly don't need to get dragged into anything.

As someone said your SD has a family to take care of her your major role is to keep yourself emotionally safe and to Take Care of yourself.

Good Luck and I'm sure you'll find a way through this difficult time.

FarNorth Wed 11-Aug-21 12:51:46

Bin the letter and forget it.

Droopdrawers Wed 11-Aug-21 15:30:19

Thank you all for your comments. They have been most helpful. I went to my husbands grave this morning and cried my heart out. I know he would have been furious and he would tell me to dismiss it. I have decided to take the general advise and put the letter away for now until I am in a calmer frame of mind. I spoke to my BIL about this and he was very upset. He thinks she is looking for a reaction to open a dialogue to see if there is anything for her. He also pointed out that she had contact with family members as she knew details about the funeral and why didn’t she ask them to act on her behalf if she wanted to be involved. He told me to look after myself and forget the whole thing. So once again, thank you all. I will update you when or if I make a decision. Xx

Shandy57 Wed 11-Aug-21 16:43:08

I'm glad you are putting it to one side Droopdrawers, it's all so overwhelming and terribly sad isn't it.

I do agree with your BIL following my experience with my 'new' stepson, she will want to see if she is mentioned. I was horrified when he asked to see the will and worried he would try to contest it. I had given him copies of the Condolence book pages and photos to take away, I didn't even think of giving him a copy of the will at the time of his visit. I had a mirror will with my husband with the stepson as a 'long stop', and changed it as soon as I could face doing it.

Nannarose Wed 11-Aug-21 17:01:02

Thank you for letting us know, and I'm glad you have someone to talk to.

Eviebeanz Wed 11-Aug-21 17:01:26

Would it perhaps help you to ask a trusted friend or relative to help you draft a response to the letter... to be completely honest part of me says ignore and the other half says respond. If someone else were to help you it might have less of an emotional overtone to it.

Nonogran Wed 11-Aug-21 19:09:01

Sometimes we say more with silence than we ever can with words.
Ignore the letter.