Gransnet forums

Bereavement

My husbands funeral tomorrow how will I cope?

(134 Posts)
1summer Wed 31-Aug-22 20:56:58

Sorry to trouble you but its my husbands funeral tomorrow and I am having a blip! I have organised everything with my children and they keep saying it will be a wonderful celebration of his life. They did say they would stay with me tonight but said I would be fine but I am not. I feel sick and shaky thinking I can’t go through with it, it seems so final.
Visitors today tell me that after tomorrow I can start grieving I can start a journey of recovery. I want to shout no no no, I don’t want to be on this journey and will never recover.
I almost feel like running away and not going tomorrow but I won’t I have to do this for my family.
I just want him back.

SueDonim Fri 02-Sep-22 18:42:41

I’m glad you coped with a very difficult day, Isummer. I hope the stories that others related to you will give you some comfort in the future. Take care of yourself. flowers

Norah Fri 02-Sep-22 15:02:13

You did so well. Take care. flowers

Fleurpepper Fri 02-Sep-22 14:35:30

Well done you. I am so glad the day went as well as it could, and that you found you could cry. Wishing you all the best for the nex few weeks and months, as it will be hard, very hard at times. Take care and look after yourself. x

Blossoming Fri 02-Sep-22 13:54:15

Glad you managed to get through the day okay flowers

Shelflife Fri 02-Sep-22 13:02:31

Thank you for coming back to us - very thoughtful of you. So many people here have you in their thoughts , I hope that helps just a little. I have not been in your position so can only imagine how you feel, but I send you strength and my thoughts. Look after yourself and take advantage of any help offered.

Aveline Fri 02-Sep-22 11:35:56

Sounds like you and do many others gave him a wonderful send off. It will be nice to reflect on how well thought of he was. I'm sure family will be rallying round. No rush for anything at all. Take your time and see how you feel.

Greyduster Fri 02-Sep-22 10:53:31

I’m so glad you and your lovely family got through yesterday okay, Isummer. The day after DH’s I just wanted to be left alone. It’s not going to be easy, but you will find the strength to put one foot in front of the other with the help of family and friends. I am not easily moved to tears, even now, but, four months on, it’s the random acts of kindness and generosity, and there have been many, from people we knew and hardly knew that tend to tip me over the edge.
An arm around your shoulder, dear lady.

Wheniwasyourage Fri 02-Sep-22 10:37:27

Just read this thread for the first time today, but thinking of you now. Sending flowers and hugs to you, 1summer.

Beautful Fri 02-Sep-22 09:55:32

Glad you managed fine ... there will be days you reflect on different things ... happy times ... sad times ... funny times ... each one a gem ... like I have said earlier if you want to cry cry , if you want to laugh laugh ... when I speak about my lovely husband I am fine , others I cry ... then I say to people if I cry don't worry , I mean that ... some people won't want to mention your husband , for fearing of hurting you, but I say I don't mind shows they remember him aswell ... yes will have your good days , your bad days I know ... talk to your husband ... I do I moan & even nag him at times, even ask for advice . I tell him about things. My daughter & son in law had a photo picture done for me with loads of photos of him, our family & pets may I add, it is on the wall , everytime I get up of a morning I say morning, everytime I go to bed I say Good Night & God bless, I do when I go out & come back in ... when I go out & before I go to bed I always say ... no having parties !!! ? This helps me a lot , you may fine others things ... take one day at a time ... God bless

crazyH Fri 02-Sep-22 09:11:14

Isummer flowers

sodapop Fri 02-Sep-22 09:06:33

A tough day for you Isummer but you did find the strength to get through it. So good to hear all the lovely memories of your husband it must have been tiring for you. Another difficult day today but you still have the strength to do this for your husband. After all this don't rush into anything but take time to rest and reflect on all your own memories. Take care thanks

Kalu Fri 02-Sep-22 09:05:37

I can’t begin to imagine how you must be feeling 1summer but I wish you strength and much love to help you through the days ahead.

MissAdventure Fri 02-Sep-22 08:59:35

It's just my thoughts on the time immediately after the funeral, so I hope I don't upset anyone, but I think we have a period of numbness in order to be able to take in all that has happened, and do what needs to be done.
For me, there was a period after that I found awful to cope with.
I just withdrew more and more, and felt I wasn't coping - it was all encompassing.

It was very bleak, but well, I did get through it, and it is 'normal'.

Again, just keep trudging when you can, and don't on the days you can't. flowers

Aldom Fri 02-Sep-22 08:56:26

How thoughtful of you to come back. Thank you. You found your strength for yesterday. I hope, with the support of family and friends, you will find strength to walk into the future. GN is always here for you too. flowers

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Sep-22 08:47:34

Thanks for coming back. You did well. Today will be a little easier.

Smileless2012 Fri 02-Sep-22 08:43:18

You did so well 1summer. I cannot begin to imagine what a difficult day it must have been. Now you can take time to as you say reflect, and remember all the wonderful times you shared flowers.

1summer Fri 02-Sep-22 08:39:21

Well I got through yesterday, I was ok all morning and kept thinking I can do this. I went to pieces when I saw the coffin and cried throughout most of the lovely service. Seeing other people cry when talking about him or reading a poem was hard.
The funeral directors told me we had about 150 people inside and outside (worried as venue afterwards had only catered for 60 but it was fine).
I then spent about 4 hours not only talking to family and friends but lots of old schoolfriends and work colleagues of husband during his career and it was so nice to hear stories and anecdotes of husband and all the lovely things people said about him.
I came home absolutely physically and mentally exhausted but happy that I coped aswell as I did.
Today we are going to the cremation to look again at the flowers, put some of them on family graves and memorials and bring mine to him home. Then later today I will rest and reflect. Maybe today not the day to look to the future.
Thank you for your support.

Alypoole Fri 02-Sep-22 08:34:18

Me too x

Fleurpepper Fri 02-Sep-22 08:03:20

Yes, here too

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 02-Sep-22 07:56:59

And mine. ?

Calendargirl Fri 02-Sep-22 07:21:06

I hope the funeral went as well as it could.

It’s over now, and you can take it easy today.

Still in my thoughts.

LauraNorderr Thu 01-Sep-22 22:13:49

Can’t begin to imagine 1summer, thinking of you x

Nandalot Thu 01-Sep-22 21:34:23

So sorry for your loss. Thoughts and prayers are with you"

rubysong Thu 01-Sep-22 21:24:42

I hope the funeral went well 1summer and you felt the love and support of those who attended. I'm sure it has been a long, emotionally draining day. Hope you are able to get some sleep. Your friends on GN are thinking of you. XX

Aveline Thu 01-Sep-22 21:08:24

I hope it went as well as possible and that you're managing to relax a little back home. Let us know how you're getting on.