Gransnet forums

Bereavement

Sudden death of my granddaughter

(53 Posts)
Nansypansy Sun 12-Feb-23 09:13:50

I am at a loss to help my daughter. Her daughter passed away unexpectedly on Christmas Day aged 28. So far there is no reason. But it is my daughter I am so concerned about. She is utterly bereft and I fear for her. My other granddaughter who is 25 is very stoical and on the surface coping. My son in law is in bits about it but doing his absolute best to keep her sane. She has bad days and worse days and I just don’t know what I can do. She won’t take anti depressants and prefers sleeping tablets. I am now persuading her to take the antidepressants and check with her dr. To see whether her other medication will mix. My son (her brother) passed away 20 years ago at 34 (brain tumour) she doesn’t understand how much tragedy has befallen our family.

LucyLocket55 Thu 16-Feb-23 13:44:52

How very hard for you and your family. Deepest sympathy and condolences x

Franbern Fri 17-Feb-23 09:44:56

nansypansy Such a sad story. I feel for you all, and you are all trying cope with this tragedy in your own way. It is such very early days.

My youngest son, died in an accident some twenty years ago, aged 25 years. That first couple of years was so very hard, despite the fact that Ihad is five older siblings still here. It takes a verylong time befoe a parent can start to come out of tht shock and mourning, Two years at least - so this being just a very few weeks - no wonder your daughter is totally and absolutely bereft.

For me, all I wanted to do was to talk about my lovely son, to whoever would listen, over and over again. Surrounded myself with photos of him, No, I did not want to talk to a Counsellor (only wanted to talk to people who had actually known him), refused anti-depressants (felt all theyw ould do would put off that horrific time), did accept sleeping pills.

My hubbie, (his Dad) and I were separated, so did not have any real on-going support. Kmew that my other children were also desperately trying to cope with their loss, each in their own way.

I would say not to push for her to take anti-depressants, just be there for her whenever she wants and talk about your g.daughter. Allow lots and lots of time, the first year is the hardest, remembering all the things that should b e happenng and no longer are, the secondyhear is only slightly easier. But life does go on........Celebrate her birthday, have photos of her around your homes, and do remember that your other g.daughter is also having to cope with losing her sister

The fact that I burst into tears reading your post, relating it so much to my son - even after twenty years, shows how it remains with us always. BUT......you all owe it to that g.daughter/daughter/sister to live your lives.