Gransnet forums

Books/book club

What are you reading now 2

(450 Posts)
MargaretX Mon 12-Jun-17 15:02:44

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it!
And so sad that Margaret Forster has died last year. I will read all her books including non fiction again sometime.

Grandmamaoftwo Mon 09-Mar-20 12:28:58

I'm in the process of reading The Confessions of Frannie Langton by Sara Collins, this is her debut novel and was shortlisted for the Lucy Cavendish Prize. It's a well written thought provoking novel.

Susie42 Sat 21-Mar-20 14:08:46

I'm reading The Devil's Slave by Tracy Borman, which is a standalone sequel to The King's Witch, the books are set in the time of James I and the Gunpowder Plot. I'm also reading the latest Mark Billingham, and re-reading Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy by John Le Carre. If I have to self-isolate I have all the Rebus books by Ian Rankin and will probably read the complete series again.

I also borrow books on line from the library using the Libby app.

roundcubeone Mon 17-Aug-20 19:52:38

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

WOODMOUSE49 Fri 28-Aug-20 13:38:06

The Understudy by David Nicholls.

Read 'One Day' years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. Just watched the film.

Hadn't realised he'd written another book until I heard someone talking about it on the radio a few weeks ago. Bought it and I started it yesterday whilst the downpour was happening, It has me hooked but weather good today so now back off outside to get some gardening done.

Whilst I am an elderly computer geek, I do have a dedicated love for 'real' physical books.

fevertree Thu 03-Sep-20 11:05:47

I was lucky enough to be sent an advance copy of Richard Osman's (yes, the Pointless presenter) debut novel The Thursday Murder Club, publication date today.

It reads a little bit like the Alexander McCall-Smith books about the lady detective, in that it is sweet and funny and gentle and meanders and sometimes not that much happens. But the story is in fact barreling along underneath the every-day lives of the main characters, all 'people of a certain age'. (meaning - not young). In fact I'm surprised that the publishers haven't yet got on to GN to promote it ...

Richard Osman might well have gleaned ideas and impressions for his characters from listening to the bit in Pointless where Alexander Armstrong says to participants "Tell us a little bit about yourself".

Altogether an enjoyable read.

annodomini Thu 03-Sep-20 12:05:35

I have the latest book ("All the Devils are Here") by one of my favourite crime writers, Canadian, Louise Penny. If you haven't made the acquaintance of her character DCI Gamache, his family and Québecois community, I recommend starting at the first book, 'Still Life'.

Furret Fri 04-Sep-20 09:38:17

Just started reading a book by Richard Osman (yes, he of that mind-numbing Pointless programme). It’s called The Thursday Murder Club and judging by the few chapters I’ve read promises to be a Good Read.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Sep-20 10:22:39

Oh, I didn’t realise that was already out, Furret. Apparently there was a bidding war for the film rights and Steven Spielberg won. Not bad for a first book.

I love Pointless. smile

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Sep-20 10:28:02

I’m reading Clock Dance by Anne Tyler. I’ve had it on my shelf for months and can’t think why I’ve left it so long. As ever, she can make something out of the most ordinary life, and there are unexpected laugh out loud and gasp for breath moments, coming from nowhere in an everyday situation. One of my favourite writers.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Sep-20 10:29:32

Sorry, fevertree, I see now that you mentioned Richard Osman’s book first.

TerriBull Fri 04-Sep-20 10:32:11

I loved Clock Dance Maggie, always mean to read more Anne Tyler, I've only read a couple of hers so far, she writes about small town America very well.

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Sep-20 10:46:09

I’ve read all but two, TerriBull, including the latest one. I know she’s not to everyone’s taste though. I usually like a bit more action myself, but always enjoy her writing.

Furret Fri 04-Sep-20 11:23:30

maggiemaybe don't you think that Alexander whatever his name is must be the most boring man outside of Yorkshire? ?

Maggiemaybe Fri 04-Sep-20 14:18:52

He’s not the most charismatic, imho. grin Richard’s got a lot more about him.

Furret Fri 04-Sep-20 14:40:53

Agreed

sunilbhaiya72 Wed 09-Sep-20 22:32:25

I enjoyed The Miniaturist, but wasn’t so taken with The Essex Serpent.

Callistemon Wed 09-Sep-20 22:51:33

Furret

maggiemaybe don't you think that Alexander whatever his name is must be the most boring man outside of Yorkshire? ?

Perhaps because he's always very pleasant and not acerbic.
He is a comedian too but perhaps Pointless pays well!

Furret Sun 13-Sep-20 08:28:46

Callistemon you clearly didn’t get the reference to outside of Yorkshire or you wouldn’t have relied ‘perhaps because...’.

Greyduster Sun 13-Sep-20 09:32:53

Reading ‘The Bridled Tongue’ by Catherine Mayrick. Set in Elizabethan England, there’s an element of “Oh for Gods sake, get on with it!” about it, but I’ll stick with it.

Maggiemaybe Mon 14-Sep-20 08:40:36

Furret

Callistemon you clearly didn’t get the reference to outside of Yorkshire or you wouldn’t have relied ‘perhaps because...’.

I clearly didn’t get it either. Why not enlighten us?

Lucca Mon 14-Sep-20 09:06:57

Furret

Outside of Yorkshire ? Explain?

Lucca Mon 14-Sep-20 09:08:27

A week into lockdown God was spotted walking round Yorkshire. When asked what he was doing he said “Working from home “.

Callistemon Mon 14-Sep-20 09:43:22

Maggiemaybe

Furret

I clearly didn’t get it either. Why not enlighten us?

I didn't get it, sorry, and I still don't, really.
confused

Lucca Tue 15-Sep-20 16:37:21

Furret ! You owe us an explanation !

marialovely Tue 29-Sep-20 10:45:35

I'm looking for books to read or download onto my Kindle
I've just finished The Co op's got Bananas by Hunter Davies and its hard to follow it! repelisplusdescargar.net/ gta5apk.biz/