Gransnet forums

Books/book club

Books for boys?

(43 Posts)
Telly Sun 26-Nov-17 17:15:56

Anyone recommend some books for a 10 year old boy who can read well but does not really enjoy it? We were talking earlier in the year and when I said people read for pleasure he laughed. I did buy David Walliams but to be honest I found it revolting and although he found it amusing, not enough to stick with it! Anything that he might find a tiny bit engrossing??

Riversidegirl Wed 29-Nov-17 08:50:45

Beano annual. Never fails, and so cheap these days!

Teetime Wed 29-Nov-17 09:40:05

I've bought my nephew a book on film making using the mobile phone. Admittedly he is a bit older but there are many on Amazon aimed at various ages.

JackyB Wed 29-Nov-17 11:52:56

If no one has mentioned it yet, how about some audiobooks to listen to in bed instead of reading? Some people take things in better if delivered through the ears.

(Although 10-year-old boys are probably the worst at hearing what is said them, come to think of it!)

Telly Mon 04-Dec-17 13:50:29

Thanks again all for the positive replies. I have bought a selection from the suggestions, including a set of Beast Quest for Christmas so keeping fingers crossed!
Nelliomoser - what a funny little person you are!!

Eloethan Tue 05-Dec-17 01:15:42

I don't know why you think *Nelliemoser is a "funny little person" unless you are referring to her view re male/female book choices.

If so, I think she had valid concerns as to whether the suitability of children's books should be decided on the basis of a reader's gender. I think probably more and more people are starting to question that sort of way of doing things.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 06:18:03

Of course boys and girls read different books I would have been bored out my head reading football or beast stories and probably not be the ardent reader I became You have to find what interest you and although some girls will like Biggles a lot probable won’t
I also think you have to accept some children aren’t great readers and you can’t make them into loving books just because we did and we think they should Some children can read well but don’t enjoy reading and that should be ok
I had two girls who loved reading and a boy who never got anything out of it and never went past the Guinness book of records that he could dip in and out of
Don’t waste money on what you think he should be liking

NanKate Tue 05-Dec-17 07:27:32

My DS is a children's author and his publisher Pengiun/Puffin actively encourage him to write books which will appeal to both boys and girls.

He makes sure that he has strong female characters, a mix of ethnicities and people with disabilities, so that the books are inclusive.

He also keeps every chapter short so that the child feels they have accomplished something when finishing each chapter.

There is a lot more to writing that just a good story.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 08:42:28

Of course Nankate but you have to expect that many girls still like school stories and many boys still like violence and horror and off course some girls like horror and some boys like fashion there should be no hard line about what they choose but there still needs to be something for all, they can’t all cross over and be gender blind Of course stories should reflect society with black white and brown kids and kids with disabilities that’s a different thing to the actual storylines However I m sure the original poster isn’t wanting a politically correct thread I just wanted to say not ALL children love books or want to be big readers and if Telly s grandson has made it quite clear he doesn’t enjoy reading story books why labour the point by buying them just because you feel they should I personally would suggest she goes for a factual book that he can dip in and out of.

MiceElf Tue 05-Dec-17 09:10:40

Nelliemoser is correct. Defining reading choices by gender is a nonsense. Children, like adults, read what interests them. Many adults rarely read, preferring film, music or drama for their entertainment. I read far more history and biography than novels. That’s my choice. He is clearly a competent decoder and presumably understands what he reads, so look at what his interests are and choose a variety of texts (graphic novels, instruction manuals, sports biographies, archaeology or whatever) so that he will enjoy his present instead of groaning over another gift that will never be looked at.

annodomini Tue 05-Dec-17 09:41:03

Like Nelliemoser, I was a Biggles fan. Ever since, I've been a pilot manquée! But I also enjoyed the Chalet School, and the Abbey School series. From 11 onwards, I read John Buchan's adventure tales though I now abhor their casual racism and imperialism. In other words, there's no telling what is suitable for individual children, but let them loose among a range of books and they will (or maybe won't) find what they like. This Christmas, annuals would be a good start.

NanKate Tue 05-Dec-17 10:56:37

Bluebelle I sincerely hope I am not coming across as politically correct, I am far from this !! I was just reporting what the Publishers ask for.

BlueBelle Tue 05-Dec-17 11:05:43

Not at all Nankate and in my own way I was agreeing with you just meaning there still are divided interests and it can’t all be asexual as the world seems to think everything should be nowadays why can’t there be the full range of girly books boyish books as well as adventures for both, even old Enid Blyton always had boys and girls on the adventures and a dog so she didn’t over favour humans, she d have updated to a kid in a wheelchair by now Mind you she was good at slapping teddy and having cigarettes in the kitchen too whoops

lemongrove Tue 05-Dec-17 12:42:07

Boys grow up and become men.My DH and other male relatives do not read the same books as me ( or rarely) so we must suppose the male and female brain do go for different things ( who’d a thunk it?)

NanKate Tue 05-Dec-17 17:46:15

I’m pleased Bluebelle at your comment. I’m definitely not gender fluid or any other fluid. ?

singingnutty Sat 06-Jan-18 12:21:58

I took out a subscription to The Week Junior in the hope of encouraging my 12 year old grandson to read as he doesn't like fiction much. However, his 9 year old brother who loves reading devours it every week! You can get a trial sub for a few weeks so it might be worth trying.

Telly Sun 07-Jan-18 12:34:07

Diary of a Wimpy Kid is going down well!

Sue007007 Fri 15-May-20 15:58:14

Hi I know this thread is old but just wanted to add that my grandson, who is a reluctant reader, recently really enjoyed Captain Fat Beard and the Pickled Onion Pirates by S K Sheridan.