Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Older Love

(113 Posts)
dorsetpennt Sun 26-May-13 10:02:29

I was on line in M and S food yesterday behind an elderly couple, probably in their late 70s. He was tall with a wonderful head of white hair, quite distinguished looking - she was very small maybe 5 foot 2 inches at the most with a sweet little face. She was trying to persuade him about something and was teasing him in a very flirty manner. At one stage she stroked his face then nestled into him, just like a young girl. All the time he was smiling with great fondness and cuddling back. It was a lovely scene. She saw me watching and smiled back at me - I commented that it was lovely to see them so happy. 'We've been married for 55 years' she replied.
It was lovely to see people of this age still so in love. However, it also made me sad as I've been on my own since my divorce in 1984, I brought up my children completely on my own. I would have so loved being like this couple.

HUNTERF Fri 14-Jun-13 15:18:18

petallus

I don't think that my father's ex had much love for him when after 18 months she wanted me to take Andie away.
I don't think they were suited for each other from the start.

Also she did not even start to suggest where I was going to live etc.

Dad was upset that she asked me to leave and also about the theatre tickets I had bought them for her birthday which cost about £30 each.

The £30 ticket was the least of my worries. I was going to see the show at some point anyway so I just went with him.

Frank

Movedalot Fri 14-Jun-13 15:58:50

petallus I don't know how to define love but there is no rational reason why DH and I get on so well and enjoy each others company. Therefore it must be love grin

Good for you PRINT. It is lovely isn't it? I am sure we are not alone but sometimes I think it needs to be said along with all the other good things.

petallus Fri 14-Jun-13 16:08:14

I like that kind of love Movedalot

nanaej Fri 14-Jun-13 16:50:33

DH and I have been together since 1966. Married for 42 years. Loads of ups and some downs but always decided we were better together than apart. We hold hands, arms round shoulder/waist(? hmm) when out and often snuggle when in!

Movedalot Fri 14-Jun-13 16:53:29

Nothing better than a good snuggle smile

kittylester Fri 14-Jun-13 17:47:47

I admit to loving Dh but not to being old! grin

Movedalot Fri 14-Jun-13 17:58:18

Go Kitty but why 'admit' - be proud! smile I hope its been a long marriage.

kittylester Sat 15-Jun-13 07:31:42

Only 42 years moved, do you think it will last? No one did at the beginning as we had only known each other three weeks when we got engaged.

HUNTERF Sat 15-Jun-13 08:05:49

I met my future wife when I was 11 and we were married 13 years later.
She was the daughter of the headmistress of the school I went to.
People did say it was very risky marrying somebody who you had met at 11 and some even said I should try other girls first as I had never had a relationship with anybody else.
Sadly she passed away 29 years later with cancer but there was no sign of the marriage breaking up.
Mind you she must have been the best. The headmistress of my school said she was.

Frank

Movedalot Sat 15-Jun-13 11:54:09

Kitty we do have a lot in common then, DH proposed to me after 12 days! He never makes a decision in a hurry but said he didn't want to lose me. We arranged the wedding very quickly once we decided to get in before the end of the tax year so people thought we 'had to get married' and yes, some thought it wouldn't last.

I think it might last if you keep working at it grin

HUNTERF Mon 17-Jun-13 16:30:06

I get fed up of people say that you are far better off widowed than divorced.
They say the mortgage on the house was paid off with the life assurance and you get a widows pension from your spouses occupational pension scheme as well as inheriting the estate of your wife's parents.
Probably financially things are evened out but it does not make up for your wife's death at an early age.

Frank

Oldgreymare Mon 17-Jun-13 19:56:59

Six and two threes, perhap?