Gransnet forums

Care & carers

Employing someone?

(117 Posts)
MrsJamJam Mon 26-Mar-18 18:07:04

I would value a few opinions about this issue. My mother, aged 90, is quite physically challenged with Parkinson's but of full mental capacity. She lives in a retirement flat independently, but we have used a local agency to provide her with a carer for an hour four times a week to help with shopping, cleaning, tidying, laundry and general domestics. She doesn't yet need personal care. She has of course developed a close and chatty relationship with the regular carers and they have been telling her how hard life is managing on minimum wage.

Of course, the hourly rate she pays the agency is about double this, but I feel it is important that the agency provides us all with peace of mind. Mother now wants to stop using the agency and just pay the girls cash directly. Would cost her less and give them more. She is very cross with me that I do not agree. I should add that she can well afford the current situation, it is not a case of limited resources.

I am very worried on several counts. The agency provides insurance cover and background checks on all staff. The agency complies with all employer obligations, I believe that just paying cash direct is regarded as the black economy and is illegal. If there is any problem I can require the agency to sort it out.

What do others feel?

annifrance Tue 27-Mar-18 10:08:05

Why not discuss it with the carers? they might be the ones to point out all the pitfalls mentioned before such as insurance, tax etc., and would prefer to remain with an agency that makes life a lot easier for them in some ways.

Telly Tue 27-Mar-18 10:09:36

If the careers want to go self-employed and undertake to pay their own tax etc. then it is up to them. Plus of course their employer will pay them holiday pay and a contribution to their pension which they will not get as self-employed workers. Of the agency is managing them and supplying cover when they are on leave or sick so it is not just ripping off the staff. Your mother would be exposed to unregulated people coming into her home. The idea of giving cash is really not on, then when does it stop? The carers should not be discussing this with clients.

ReadyMeals Tue 27-Mar-18 10:17:58

I don't see what's wrong with having a personal relationship with the carers to the extent of discussing wages etc? She doesn't have to give them extra, it's up to her. Unless of course she is no longer mentally competent and a relative has power of attorney, in which case it will be that relative's decision.

Jaycee5 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:19:54

I am very glad that my mother uses a good agency. It has been a lifeline for her and they have been helping her for long enough now that they go out of their way. The woman who runs the agency will go to the hospital with her and write down what the doctor says because she won't remember and when she asked the doctor to he did it on a scrap of paper that she couldn't read. Her favourite carer will take her and not charge if she has to wait a long time.
It sounds as if the carers are using emotional blackmail on her. What protection would she have if they stepped that up if she was no longer using an agency? Would she be able to sack a carer if she ran into difficulty?

sue01 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:25:23

Oh dear. Please beware. This is exactly what happened to my Dad.

When Mum died he got a cleaner from a local agency. Within weeks, she told him she could no longer manage on what the agency were paying her... and would have to leave him. Unless he paid her - a lot more - directly to her.

He did what she wished and paid her directly.

She then told him that one of her gentlemen - and she only worked for widowers - had told her he was going to leave her money in his Will.

She knew how lonely my Dad was. She also knew that most evenings, he would pop up the road to his local for a pint.

She turned up there too.

He then told us he was planning to leave her £25k in his Will.

At this point I became concerned. Not about the money - that was his to do with as he wished - but by the thought that he was being groomed by this woman.

I hadn't a clue what to do - so I phoned the local police. And I'm so glad I did !

The woman and indeed her whole family were well known to the police.

I then phoned our family solicitors... and to my horror, they confided that this sort of thing happens all the time... but families are largely powerless... as no actual crime has been committed.

We never told my Dad. It would have broken his heart. And he never got round to changing his Will.

But as far as I know this woman is still probably plying her trade.

Cold Tue 27-Mar-18 10:26:17

If the careers want to go self-employed and undertake to pay their own tax etc. then it is up to them. Plus of course their employer will pay them holiday pay and a contribution to their pension which they will not get as self-employed workers.

The risk is that the person will not meet the threshold for self-employment that HMRC set - it is quite defined. Bogus self-employment is something that they have been cracking down on recently. Therefore the elderly person might find themselves regarded as the employer and be held responsible for:
- tax and NI collection
- employers NI
- paid holidays
- statutory sick pay
- maternity leave (where applicable)
- possibly pension contributions

A lot of people who employ nannies etc have found that they have to implement the above

GracesGranMK2 Tue 27-Mar-18 10:29:54

I don't agree redicalnan. Where you there? Do you know who started the conversation or what was said? My own mother, because she lives in a very small world, will pick up on anything to have a conversation with others and her carers are a big part of her life. She would not see empathising in an over-the-garden fence chat as in any way crossing any boundaries. Perhaps your experience with your Mum is not like that but I can assure you it is not unusual for those mums I have come across as I have met fellow carers.

I am sorry that SS have not been more supportive MrsJJ. The service should be there for all. Let's hope we see some changes in the future.

luluaugust Tue 27-Mar-18 10:34:56

Like your mum mine was completely with it well into her 90's and had the cleaners whole life story in very short order. They do start to look on them as friends. I think you can only stick with what is easiest for you as you are the main carer in all this. Sit down and explain carefully everything that your mum would have to do to change her help over and what might happen if she did, you could agree with her its a lovely idea but could disadvantage her helpers in the end, hopefully you can fend this one off.

Lilyflower Tue 27-Mar-18 10:35:53

Your mother is paying above the odds for certain care when she needs it. If she puts herself in the hands of others she is at their mercy. The first thing they might do is report her for acting illegally or threatening to do so if she doesn't up their rate. At the very least they will want holidays and may well be ill with no obligation to provide cover. These carers will have a pension aspect to their pay. Will your mother want to pay that? And their employer's tax and NI?

David1968 Tue 27-Mar-18 11:01:46

Mrsjam jam, has someone in the family signed an agreement with the care agency? If so, there's usually a clause about not employing the carers privately. So there could be "legal" problems if your mum tries to do this?

GrannyParker Tue 27-Mar-18 11:02:00

Having been a carer, firstly it is against the rules of any agency for careers to discuss their financial situation, it leaves the door open for accusations of seeking gifts, and in many cases that is what it is. It can be tricky, you do form friendships but this was always a big no no.

If she employs them directly, she is their employer, which means she responsible for all the statutory responsibility of any employer, checking Right To Work, tax, NI, enrolment in a pension scheme and making a contribution, she will have to retain their P45, do annual tax reporting, pay employer NI contribution, maintain the required records, have employer liability insurance pay sick and holiday pay in accordance with a contract of employment, then there could be maternity leave, long term sickness if it happened.

It’s a lot of responsibility and would cost her, as the agency introduced the career there would probably be an introduction fee to be paid to the agency. It’s not as simple as giving them cash in hand every week, which might be what they are after. That gets the employer in trouble.

The big concern is the career discussing their finances, they should not put that concern on their clients, even if the client starts the conversation. It’s not fair that your mum has been given this dilemma. Personally I would have a gentle word with the carer and ask them not to discuss their finances with your mum, or have a talk to the agency, I would worry that they are looking for financial gifts.

Nvella Tue 27-Mar-18 11:11:55

Usually when using staff via an agency you have to pay a hefty penalty if you then poach that person to work for you direct. It’s usually in the agreement with the agency

Tessa101 Tue 27-Mar-18 11:28:57

My sister has carers for her MS.We live different ends of the country but when I’ve visited her and the carers are there they do seem to have formed a very close bond and discuss personal things so I’m not surprised wages has come up. However I would be a tad suspicious of there reasons for bringing this up. I would presude your mum to steer well away from paying cash it will create many issues and as others have said there’s no back up or support when there free lance and they will have no one to answer to.Dont be riled by some people on here majority of GNS are lovely helpful people.

GabriellaG Tue 27-Mar-18 11:32:09

I agree with you MrsJamJam
The agency would probably ask why your mother no longer wanted assistance and would ultimately find out that these ladies were getting cash in hand.
They wouldn't be paying tax and I personally don't agree with that.
I have, since retirement, worked as a PA and was paid into my bank account and paid all taxes. My colleague, who worked the other days of the week, insisted on being paid by cheque with the payee name omitted.
The lady was from Thailand and lived in a house which was organised by a 'boyfriend' and he cashed the cheques. It's funny how the 'private' carer economy often operates in this underhand way. I met a lot of it and there is a strong grapevine so you can often meet the same people in different counties hundreds of miles apart, as I have.
Agencies give peace of mind.

widgeon3 Tue 27-Mar-18 11:34:37

I phoned ACAS and was informed that for the very limited number of hours a week the cleaner was required ( average 3-4) she would be regarded as self employed and I would not need to pay NI, holiday pay etc.
Please let me know if I am wrong, anybody out there!
Have been employing cleaners for years but it is only with the latest change-over that all these extra payments are mentioned

aggie Tue 27-Mar-18 11:39:39

We have carers from the nhs and find them brilliant , non moaning and cheerful , never speak about other clients . On the other hand we employ sitters from an agency who moan about wages and speak about other clients who employ and pay them privately , and asking us to do the same , we haven't done so because the agency send another sitter if the first isn't available and of course the checks and insurance are there . The agencies do pay peanuts but we do give the girls extra at set times where appropriate

GabriellaG Tue 27-Mar-18 11:45:00

NB. For the avoidance of doubt, the carer specifically mentioned in my post was a meticulous worker and I worked with her on many occasions, however, our principals did not pay her the rate I was paid nor did they pay holiday entitlements or double rates on Sundays but there was nothing she could do about it.
Being under the radar isn't a good thing.

GracesGranMK2 Tue 27-Mar-18 11:46:32

Carers from the NHS? I didn't know there was such a being.

GabriellaG Tue 27-Mar-18 11:49:02

I'd get her to sign and date in a receipt book for the money you hand over.
These people may be getting benefits and cleaners can often earn £10ph which should be declared.

MissAdventure Tue 27-Mar-18 11:51:20

Me neither.
My mums carers which were sorted out when she came from hospital were an agency. (not a particularly good one, either)

aggie Tue 27-Mar-18 11:56:21

The nhs carers come in four times a day to get OH out of bed washed and dressed , toiletries during the day and returned to bed , the agency ones just st with him so I can go to art class , shopping , breathe . I am maybe not giving them their correct title ? I can assure you they are extremely caring ,maybe GracesGran you should get out more

aggie Tue 27-Mar-18 11:58:16

They were sent when we finally extricated him from a Nursing Home

MissAdventure Tue 27-Mar-18 12:01:13

Ah, maybe that's the difference then.. it sounds as if your husband is getting a good care package, though. smile

Situpstraight Tue 27-Mar-18 12:06:02

Widgeon, if you are self employed , you must have more than 1 client, if you are working for just one person then you are classed as being employed by that person and they have to fulfill all the obligations of an employer.
If your cleaner has several clients then she is responsible for her own Income Tax etc. But you really should get a receipt from her when you hand over her pay, she should also invoice you for her work.

GabriellaG Tue 27-Mar-18 12:07:24

Granny23

I tbink you're treading in deep water there.
Not a good idea.
Carers talk and it might get back to the agency via those who hear and are jealous. The carers might then be interviewed about accepting monetry gifts.
That's one of the reasons why SS don't let any one carer get too cosy with clients. They rotate carers so that doesn't happen and you cannot specify which carer you want.