Gransnet forums

Chat

Did they realise?

(82 Posts)
MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 10:06:32

My nephews were chuckling about a friend's new girlfriend. The reason? Her name. Jenny Taylor. It took me a while. But then I remembered a student I once has calked Lee King.

My husband once had a colleague named David Balls who called his daughter Holly. But the most unfortunate was a lad I heard about whose nickname was 'head first'. His name was Robert Slater. Fine until it's written R Slater.

Any more unfortunate names to cheer us up?

apricot Sat 01-Mar-14 19:21:07

I've known a Hazel who married Mr Nutt,
a Dr White,
a Jeremy Fisher,
a Rudi
and a couple called Jo and Joe.

shysal Sat 01-Mar-14 19:26:14

I have heard of Beryl Berrill, Frances Francis, Kerry Perry and Royce Rolls.

Flowerofthewest Sat 01-Mar-14 19:30:43

The midwife who delivered my DGS insisted that her daughter, who runs a playgroup, has two children named Cinderella Sparkle and her sister Tinkerbelle!!! She also said that the weirdest names she has come across as a midwife are 'Spade' and 'Bicycle'

My DGS's middle name is Danger and his little sister's middle name is Hero, think I have mentioned this before though.

annodomini Sat 01-Mar-14 20:20:30

One of my DGSs ought to be named Danger, but he and his brother don't have middle names.

Greenfinch Sat 01-Mar-14 20:29:23

I knew Rhoda Horsey and Olive Branch.

shysal Sat 01-Mar-14 21:10:48

A Methodist minister I knew went to Africa some years ago (I forget the country), where he found some children were named just because they liked the sound of the words. Two of them were called Helicopter and Jam Sandwich!

rosesarered Sat 01-Mar-14 21:14:16

Ah yes, ana The Cliff Tragedy by Eileen Dover [good book!]Also The Bus Conductor by Miles Standing, another good read.

rosesarered Sat 01-Mar-14 21:16:28

Wonder if there are any real life Max Headrooms out there?

Ana Sat 01-Mar-14 21:26:55

roses, yes, there were a lot of those books going around at one time - can't remember any more apart from 'Fifty Year in the Saddle' by Major Bumsore, but that's not really relevant to this thread...grin

Penstemmon Sat 01-Mar-14 21:30:27

My brother had a classmate called Neil Down.

Gill did I teach you?? I taught a Russell Hobbs.

Was at college with Henrietta Bull.

MY cousin was a Jenny Taylor and until tonight it never occurred to me. She uses her married name now!

Good friends have a cousin called Doris Morris.

GillT57 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:13:51

Penstemmon, he was at school with me in Wanstead, were you there?

harrigran Sat 01-Mar-14 23:25:06

My Aunt was called Olive Hall but my father insisted on calling her Olive oil or Oyl because Popeye was the cartoon of the time.

numberplease Sat 01-Mar-14 23:50:08

Apricot, your Mr. Nutt wouldn`t have happened to be a vet, would he? We had one years ago in Heywood, Lancs, called Peter Knutt, and his wife was Hazel!

Flowerofthewest Sun 02-Mar-14 00:12:48

Used to work with a number of African women. One was called Misery - her mother said that she gave her nothing but misery when in the womb!
Another was Memory.

Soutra Sun 02-Mar-14 04:43:52

Anybody who has lived in Scotland will have known as I did a Heather Bell and/or a Heather Glenn I expect.

BlueBelle Sun 02-Mar-14 08:29:12

Well I had to say the Jenny Taylor a number of times to get it, thought I was really thick

This one is absolutely true I had a consultant when in a military hospital overseas called Aldis Balls, the woman in the next bed to me used to whisper 'old conkers is on his rounds'

I went to school with a Raine and Gail

henetha Sun 02-Mar-14 11:48:20

My mother had a friend called Minnie Orange, and I went to school with a girl called Pearl Frost which I thought was beautiful. But the best one is my grandmother's maiden name which always made me giggle when I was young... she was called Florence May Shute.

Pittcity Sun 02-Mar-14 12:43:42

My DH had a friend called Paul Margolies.
There was an Ina Bucket on our school honours board.

Lona Sun 02-Mar-14 16:23:44

My hairdressers is owned by a married couple called Nicola and Nicholas , who are both stylists.

rosequartz Sun 02-Mar-14 22:02:35

Someone who worked at DH's old firm was listed as Carl Bunkle.

Brummiegran Sun 02-Mar-14 22:40:05

I worked in the Child Benefit Office and saw some wonderful names: Rose Bush and Mars Barr to name but two. I also came a Mr Onion who insisted it was pronounced O'nion!
grin

Brummiegran Sun 02-Mar-14 22:41:37

I meant came across Mr Onion( need to preview!)

Hunt Sun 02-Mar-14 23:11:51

The man who made my husband's special shoes was called Mr. Clogg

janeainsworth Mon 03-Mar-14 00:24:38

I once had to introduce Roger Knight to Roger Day.

Thistledoo Mon 03-Mar-14 09:41:52

I was in school with twin girls called Hilary and Valerie.