Gransnet forums

Chat

Did they realise?

(82 Posts)
MiceElf Sat 01-Mar-14 10:06:32

My nephews were chuckling about a friend's new girlfriend. The reason? Her name. Jenny Taylor. It took me a while. But then I remembered a student I once has calked Lee King.

My husband once had a colleague named David Balls who called his daughter Holly. But the most unfortunate was a lad I heard about whose nickname was 'head first'. His name was Robert Slater. Fine until it's written R Slater.

Any more unfortunate names to cheer us up?

rosequartz Thu 06-Mar-14 19:50:06

I wanted to call DD2 Penelope, the older two DC said they would call her Penelope Pitstop, who was on tv at the time.

Greenfinch Thu 06-Mar-14 20:33:18

I have a friend called Joan Jones.

We had a teacher at school who was called Miss People. Late in life she married a Mr. Peaple.

I taught a Chinese girl who had the English name of Windy. We tried to persuade her that Wendy would be more appropriate but she stuck with Windy as she said her aunt had chosen it for her.

Penstemmon Sat 08-Mar-14 23:22:06

Rose that is what my dad was worried about 'WET & Windy' Wendy!

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:49:58

My DD has just told me that a former school friend of hers has a boy and a girl called Joseph and Mary!

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:51:03

I wanted to call my first DD Charlotte, my dad commented (on my miserable 3rd day) that it sounded like a pickled onion. I wept for hours and renamed her.

Flowerofthewest Thu 13-Mar-14 18:53:34

Sorry to monopolise but I had a domestic science teacher called Miss Pepper.

The leader of a local RSPB group was Tim Goose.

When my M-in-L was in hospital the three other women in neighbouring beds were Warren, Hare and Bird (my DH was Head of Natural History for our area)