Gransnet forums

Chat

Any views on faith healing?

(147 Posts)
Jane10 Mon 19-Dec-16 15:50:55

I was idly thinking about this yesterday. You don't hear much about it these days. My Dad a, fairly cynical GP, certainly had a few examples of patients who had made miracle recoveries that he couldn't account for scientifically. It led him to have quite an open mind about these things.
Do any of you have any experience or views on faith healing?

TriciaF Mon 19-Dec-16 16:45:01

I don't know if it's the same, but I've heard of some unexpected recoveries from serious illness as a result of prayer.
You never know though if the sick person would have recovered anyway, over time, and it was just coincidence..

Synonymous Mon 19-Dec-16 17:04:08

Oh yes, I am a firm believer in prayer and have been aware of some instances of amazing healing. However when you pray the answer is not always for healing on earth and for the Christian believer ultimate healing is to actually be in the presence of their Lord where He is. smile

Ana Mon 19-Dec-16 17:09:18

So, it's a win-win thing, really, if you're a believer...?confused

Jane10 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:14:38

I read some serious studies that found that prayer does seem to have a positive effect. This was prayer at a distance for individuals the people praying didn't know.
I also found studies that showed the power of laughter too though! In fact I incorporated 'having a good laugh' into the aims for one group that I ran and found a measurable reduction in anxiety among group members. That's off the point though!

Synonymous Mon 19-Dec-16 17:19:41

Anya absolutely! Definitely win-win! smile

Jane we also know of instances as in your first paragraph and have taken part in many a prayer chain stretching and criss-crossing right round the world.

janeainsworth Mon 19-Dec-16 17:40:31

I don't believe in the power of prayer, nor a God who decides whether or not to answer such prayers.
For every miracle recovery there are thousands who don't recover, despite their friends and relatives praying fervently for them.
What do you say to a young mother who has lost her child to cancer, despite being a committed Christian and praying desperately for her child's recovery?
That it's 'part of God's plan' for her to suffer such a grievous loss?

Ana Mon 19-Dec-16 17:46:10

I'd like to hear Synonymous's response to your question, jane.

Anya Mon 19-Dec-16 17:48:32

Anya calling synonymous I hadn't posted on this thread.

Anniebach Mon 19-Dec-16 17:55:03

I disagree with some sorry. It is never Gods plan to choose anyone to suffer . We go wrong in believing the answer to a prayer must be the answer we want or the prayer has been ignored . rather like a child who asks a parent for something because it is what they want but the parent knows what the child wants is not best for the child I suppose

harrigran Mon 19-Dec-16 17:56:09

Absolutely do not believe. Miraculous recoveries are probably a misdiagnosis initially.

GillT57 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:56:50

I am with you Janeainsworth.At the risk of offending some, I find it hard to believe in a God who allows so much tragedy, terror and murder in his name. If the power of prayer was so wonderful then we would not have the situation in Syria.

GillT57 Mon 19-Dec-16 17:59:44

But, getting back to the OP, faith healing as in the successful use of placebo drugs, has been proved scientifically. Many people have professed to feel better or be cured after seeing a faith healer or having reiki treatment, perhaps it is simply the fact of a practitioner spending time to listen and focus on the patient that effects the body to heal itself?

Ana Mon 19-Dec-16 18:04:35

Possibly for aches and pains and minor ailments, but not for terminal illnesses surely?

Jane10 Mon 19-Dec-16 18:08:24

I don't know. What about 'laying on of hands' sort of thing? Is there some sort of latent power in some people?

Wobblybits Mon 19-Dec-16 18:10:38

I don't believe in faith healing in the normal sense. But I am sure that a persons frame of mind does affect recovery, a positive approach will speed recovery and if faith healing provides that, it has to be a good thing.

Synonymous Mon 19-Dec-16 18:11:00

Jane As a Christian I know that we have a merciful and loving God and am content to rest in Him. I started writing my reply to you but think it better to send you a link to an article which is the best explanation I have found to help in this and all other situations. It is quite long but if you can read it through to the end it will give a really good and comprehensive explanation and much better than I could ever do. blush
I am very happy to help with anything else if you are truly interested.
This is the link: creation.com/why-us-the-problem-of-evil

Charleygirl Mon 19-Dec-16 18:11:01

I am in the same camp as janeainsworth - I do not believe.

Synonymous Mon 19-Dec-16 18:14:40

Sorry Anya I meant it for Ana - clearly have "fat or fly away fingers" smile

Christinefrance Mon 19-Dec-16 18:16:07

There are more things in heaven and earth etc. Although I was a health care professional I do think that faith and a positive outlook help enormously. There are a lot of fraudsters about who exploit families and sick people but there are also those whose gift or skill helps in some way. I would never discount the power of mind over body but retain a degree of scepticism.

Luckygirl Mon 19-Dec-16 18:16:21

I am a firm believer in the power of the placebo effect. I think that much alte3rnativce medicine (and faith "healing") works because the patient is given attention and a caring interchange.

When I was ill there were friends who I knew were praying for me - I am an agnostic, so did not see this as having a direct effect - but, it was heartening to me that they cared enough to bother, so that was entirely positive. It did not make me better, but made me feel that I was not alone.

Annie - I hear your argument about the parent/child relationship; but find it mildly ridiculous that a believer is onto a win:win situation. Whatever god does or does not do, and however unacceptable it might be, it is always just fine by a believer as that is god's will. Hmm - I remain unconvinced! - but respect your POV.

Synonymous Mon 19-Dec-16 18:21:11

Jane When a Christian takes part in "Laying on of hands" it is done in the name of Jesus from whom comes all power.

Going for dinner now but will be back later. [dmile]

Jane10 Mon 19-Dec-16 18:22:48

The advanced cancers that my Dad was so amazed to find had just gone were absolutely not misdiagnoses. There was clear evidence on scans. One thing in common among those cases (and only a very few over many years in practice), was that they all had a sort of rash. It would have been fascinating to research what was going on but he was just a busy GP but so happy for these lucky few.

Lazigirl Mon 19-Dec-16 18:26:33

I used to be a committed Christian and went to a few evangelical "healing services". What I witnessed was what I would describe as a type of hysteria, with people falling over when hands were laid on them. I think psychologically it may have helped some, but I never saw any actual physical evidence of healing. It just left me cold as I felt people were being emotionally manipulated, but admittedly I am quite cynical and prefer to have some evidence about such claims. I would like to have the sense of peace and security that those with a strong faith enjoy, but I just can't go along with it.

janeainsworth Mon 19-Dec-16 18:27:06

I accept that our immune systems can be affected positively or negatively by our state of mind and that prayer may induce a feeling of optimism, and that may be enough to tip the balance and allow the body to repair itself.
But I think it's dangerous to believe that prayer itself especially prayers by other people, can turn around pathological processes.
synonymous thank you, I'll read your link later.