Gransnet forums

Chat

Now available - Sainsbury and M & S offers

(50 Posts)
Maggiemaybe Fri 02-Nov-18 12:23:01

I know, I know that many of you don't hold with the M & S Advent calendar or loyalty cards, for various reasons.....

But for those of you who do, can I just point out that until this Sunday, you can get a voucher in store or online at Sainsburys that effectively doubles the value of any Nectar points you may have. The voucher then has to be spent in store and in specified departments during the week commencing 12 November. Yes, I think it's needlessly convoluted, but I'm still looking forward to spending my voucher on some clothes and homeware that I have my eye on.

And the M & S beauty Advent calendar is available now, £35 for £280 worth of good beauty products. You've to spend another £35 to qualify for the offer, but I've just bought some presents online that were on 3 for 2 anyway, so feel I've got a good bargain. There will of course be a few items in it that I won't use, but when you've got daughters and daughters in law that's rarely a problem!

Brunette10 Sun 04-Nov-18 12:58:22

Tish - you can spend your Sains double up vouchers and use them for Taste The Difference Wines/champagne . Puts a nice stock in your cupboard for Christmas.

morethan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 13:05:43

Oh thank you Maggiemaybe I’m in line for over £100 worth of vouchers from Sainsburys. It sent my code to a very old mobile number. I contacted nectar on line and had an on line conversation and sorted it out. (Ps I’m rather pleased with myself because as I was saying on another thread call centres and their ilk make me anxious) I had to wait a good twenty minutes but they were very helpful. We will all have to return to the tread and report what we spent our vouchers on.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Nov-18 13:11:33

Oh no, TellNo1Ok, they've run out quickly!

It might be worth trying your local M & S, they'll probably hang around longer in store. Ours didn't even have any in on Thursday, the day they went on sale, which is why I ordered mine online.

GabriellaG Sun 04-Nov-18 16:44:02

TellNo1Ok
The double up voucher by post offer ends today, Sunday 4th but is definitely available in-store (from 5th to 11th I think - check those dates on their website) grin

GabriellaG Sun 04-Nov-18 21:14:25

Nectar double-up promo.
You can change points into vouchers in store between 5th-18th Nov and spend them on any of 11 categories of goods between 12th and 18th Nov.

Bagatelle Sun 04-Nov-18 22:34:12

Thanks, Maggie, I just got mine online.

Nannan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 22:56:16

I must say i saw the m&s calendar on morning tv and it looked MUCH better than the one i treat myself to last year...grin

Nannan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 22:57:00

Which was also the m&s onehmm

Nannan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 22:59:52

I doubled up online for sainsburys but its not clear what happens next- i assumed its sending it(voucher) in post?

Nannan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:06:33

I often get 3 for 2 in boots for christmas gifts- but then i have to keep the third for myself so people dont complain ive given them a 'free' presentgrin

Nannan2 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:14:25

I use some of my sainsburys points in the year to get them off the cost of vue cinema tickets.every 500 points takes £2.50 off cost of a ticket- you can use as many as you like in blocks of 500.saves a good bit off a full price ticket.

Potteron Sun 04-Nov-18 23:25:39

If you missed the M& S Advent calendar then let me reasure you, you missed nothing. I bought one last year after reading reviews on Money Saving Expert. Waste of money, samples too small to give as gifts , not enough product in each for me to judge if had ant effect. Ive stll got some items left as I need to look them up on internet to find out what they are before can use and never have time in morning or am too tire last thing at night. I thing all the folk who rave about this must work for M&S publicity dept.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Nov-18 06:47:02

Each to their own, Potteron, but no, I don’t.

GabriellaG Mon 05-Nov-18 20:22:41

I haven't opened mine yet (saving it for 'the big day') but I believe it's much better than last year's beauty advent calendar.
My nearest proper M&S is Guildford (Surrey) and today they had 384 of tgem in stock, around the store and at all the tills. I bought 2 more plus a blue velvet pleated skirt and a mustard/blue patterned blouse with shirring across the front and back. Not a colour I'd normally ever wear but it looks fabulous.
Marks clothes are definitely getting better and better.

GabriellaG Mon 05-Nov-18 20:23:59

*them blush

toscalily Tue 13-Nov-18 11:10:51

I went into Sainsburys yesterday to use my double up vouchers and stocked up on wine for Christmas, well worth doing, but not simple. I also had a £6 off voucher for a £40 spend which did complicate matters further. I was in the queue for so long thought I was taking root grin as several people in front of me also had vouchers. When my turn came I checked I could put it through as one shop & use all the vouchers, which the SA confirmed. Between SA messing up, till throwing a wobbly, supervisor being called and still having trouble I must have been at the checkout for 25 mins. Felt very embarrassed & sorry for those behind me. When all was finally sorted out and I moved on I realised the lady behind me had a pile of clothes and was clutching a load of vouchers too, SA looked a bit stressed when she saw them.

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Nov-18 13:23:49

I’m looking forward to spending mine tomorrow, before we go to the cinema. Perhaps I’ll allow an extra half hour, just in case. ?

Brunette10 Tue 13-Nov-18 14:17:51

Just back from my double-reward voucher shop. Voucher worth £50. Got 8 bottles of wine for Christmas time (maybe before} wink came to £52 so only handed over £2. Very good offer I reckon. Fair cheers you up!

KatyK Tue 13-Nov-18 15:04:39

Disappointed that you can't spend the Sainsbury's voucher on food.

Mabel2 Tue 13-Nov-18 16:01:21

We've bought an ikea advent calendar, there is a voucher for the store in each one, varying amounts I think. It's tucked away out of dgd reach atm. They also do a very good deal on live trees, you get a £20 discount voucher with each tree that you can spend in January sales. We have a load of nectar points to redeem but don't want to shop in sainsburys due to their extremely poor customer service.

Maggiemaybe Tue 13-Nov-18 16:36:34

I like the sound of the IKEA deal, Mabel. I’ve just had a quick google and apparently you should be given a £5 voucher at the till when you buy the calendar, as well as the one for at least £5 inside.

If I were you, I’d see the Sainsbury’s double-up as payback time if you’ve had bad service, and make the most of the points you already have.

Maggiemaybe Thu 15-Nov-18 17:25:52

Well, the whole double-up offer turned into a bit of an adventure for us! Firstly, we only received one £20 voucher, instead of the six I'd ordered, and my emails to Sainsburys were ignored, after the initial reply saying we'd get a full answer within 24 hours. I found out myself by googling that there was a known issue with some customers and further vouchers would be sent by this week, Sainsburys claiming they'd emailed all affected customers to explain and apologise (no, they hadn't).

The extra five £20 vouchers popped through the letterbox on Saturday, phew, so off we went to spend them. Oh my goodness.....

We'd no designated till point in our superstore, which was very busy, and we came across one bewildered couple queuing for the third time, because their vouchers and/or goods kept being rejected. They said they would just be glad to get out of the place! When it came to our turn as well it all went pear-shaped. The assistant scanned the £120 worth (exactly) of goods, then said we could only use two vouchers of the same denomination per transaction so asked us for £80. The supervisor had to be called, who said the assistant should have put them through as three separate transactions, so she tried that. Getting the prices wrong every time and constantly saying we could only use one voucher and would have to pay the balance. Jumpers, shoes and knickers flying everywhere as they went back and forth across the till. grin Ten minutes later, as one lot had come in at £41 and I'd paid the extra £1, we still had two £20 vouchers and goods worth £39. Apparently we could only use one voucher now because the total was below the sum of two of them, even though I would have waived the change. No, not allowed. So I paid the £19, rather than have the people behind us (who fortunately were very cross on our behalf, and not at us!) held up any longer. The whole fiasco took 15 minutes, and I still had to buy another jumper and queue again to get rid of the last voucher.

I got home to find we've only got two receipts, but the good news is that we have been awarded Nectar points on everything paid by voucher, but not on the cash payment, which is the opposite to what should have happened.

And of course we have lots of rather nice freebies!

Now, where's that wine?! wine grin

seasider Thu 15-Nov-18 19:17:30

I used my double up vouchers today to buy a computer game DGS wanted for Christmas. It saved me £40 !

Maggiemaybe Fri 16-Nov-18 14:27:19

I couldn’t resist going back for more today and it all went like clockwork this time. ? I got all the family’s Advent calendars, including the last Lego one on display - I wasn’t sure whether I could have all the chocolate ones as the terms specified “Christmas non-food”, but they went through. And a Mary Poppins dvd to show the grandsons before the sequel comes out. And again, I was given points on the full amount, so I’m a happy bunny!