Gransnet forums

Chat

My sister Margot, the labrador and the cake.

(118 Posts)
fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 07:25:10

Looking at some of the lovely dog pictures on the Pets forum made me remember a funny thing that happened many years ago.

My sister Margot was staying with us and she decided to bake a cake.

Well that cake turned out to be so hard and horrible nobody could eat it,

In a huff, my sister said "well the dog will enjoy it anyway".

We had a golden labrador as as many will know, they will eat anything - they are know as garbage cans.

My sister took the cake down the yard to the dog .

Later we watched from the window as the dog dug an enormous hole (insultingly deep) and dragged the cake into the hole and buried itgrin

My sister had to concede that the cake must have been pretty bad.

Marydoll Thu 26-Mar-20 07:29:39

Thanks, Fatgran, for something cheery to read.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 26-Mar-20 07:30:25

How funny ???

Beechnut Thu 26-Mar-20 07:34:37

? I wonder if it’s still there fatgran57

Curlywhirly Thu 26-Mar-20 07:46:58

Oh I can certainly confirm that labradors are greedy! A few years ago, when ours was about 1 year old, our DS and DIL came for dinner. As both DH and DS are just as greedy as the dog, I had cooked 2 chickens. Carved up one and just the legs off the other, leaving the remains of that one on the kitchen table, to cool. We were eating in the dining room and DIL was sat facing the dining room door, which was open, as the dog likes to lie on the threshold watching us eat (she's not allowed in the dining room). Suddenly DIL's face was a picture - she looked horrified. I turned around to see what she was looking at, and there, proud as punch with her prize, was the dog, complete with a nearly whole chicken clamped between her jaws! The dozy thing was too naive to run off and hide with it so she could eat it before we found out, she was so pleased with herself, that she just had to show us all what a clever girl she was! Needless to say, she never got to eat it (well not then, I retrieved it, and sliced it up for her dinner for next couple of days!). Believe me nothing edible was safe, but have to say as she got older, she managed to resist temptation and is no longer the thief she was!

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 07:58:24

Beechnut I wouldn't be surprised if one day it was exhumed - I still live in the same house and am a keen gardener. It would be a real archaeological find . grin

Curlywhirly smile

oldgoat Thu 26-Mar-20 08:08:54

Talking of inedible food, I made a batch of gingernuts in Domestic Science at school . They were absolutely rock hard but my Dad put them to good use by smashing them up and giving them to his pigeons in place of grit.

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 08:12:18

oldgoat smile

NannyJan53 Thu 26-Mar-20 08:22:20

When we were kids and playing in the garden. My friend came round with her Labrador.

Suddenly he came in the garden with a massive piece of cheese in his jaws, my Mum had in the kitchen.

We managed to take it off him, scraped off the teeth marks, and put it back! Mum never knew ( I think) smile

Bathsheba Thu 26-Mar-20 08:26:21

My daughter and her partner used to spend Christmas with us, and we still laugh about the first Christmas with their golden lab as a 6 month old. He was banned from the dining room while we ate Christmas dinner, but managed to sneak into the kitchen (we'd forgotten to shut the door properly shock), jump up and grab the Christmas cake, the whole cake, and eat all of it before anyone noticed. So no cake for us that year, haha!

He wasn't even sick, and was still clamouring for his dinner at 6.00 - the cheek of it!!!

Beechnut Thu 26-Mar-20 08:27:14

Scraped off the teeth marks ????

NannyJan that’s priceless ??

sodapop Thu 26-Mar-20 08:38:08

gringrin fatgran that's funny, cheered me up this morning.

Ellianne Thu 26-Mar-20 08:54:46

Our daughter and sil went on honeymoon and we brought the wedding cake back to ours from the venue. Ooops, it was demolished and eaten by a very naughty golden lab.

DanniRae Thu 26-Mar-20 09:04:29

I really loved your story fatgran - it made me laugh so much my husband came in to see what I was laughing at grin

Many years a go when I had a black lab she ate all the Christmas mince pies that were on the kitchen table to cool - it was Christmas Eve and we were all in the sitting room watching tv!!

fatgran57 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:16:57

Seems like labs are the main culprits for stealing food.My sister's cake must have been REALLY badsmile

Mollygo Thu 26-Mar-20 09:23:53

Our dog was a Bitsa, but the minute we left the house she would rush into the kitchen and empty the bin. We had round turning door knobs so I’ve no idea how she did it. In the end we locked the bin in the back garden.

Jaffacake2 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:29:33

My dear mum,long gone now, was a loving mum but a horrendous cook. Under our kitchen table was the dogs box. She was a border collie. As kids struggled to chew some of the meats mum tried to cook and would pass them under the table to the dog. Unfortunately poor dog couldn't cope either and would gag. Put that dog outside was the shout from mum with no idea what was going on !
She made a yummy treacle pudding !

00mam00 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:35:59

When still a puppy, our goldie grabbed a bag of frozen peas off the worktop and had eaten quite a few before we could rescue it. The peas came out still whole in her poo.

hereshoping Thu 26-Mar-20 09:36:16

When we moved house, we had to clear out the garage and there was damaged bag of cement powder with some spilling out. We caught our little Jack Russell eating it and had to drag him away. There were no ill effects so we must have got to him in time.

Janiepops Thu 26-Mar-20 09:40:28

My elderly aunt told me this story. They had the vicar and his wife round to dinner (1940’s) . For pudding she had made Spotted dick balls. When serving, one was dropped and rolled behind the cooker!! They fished it out, wiped the dust off, poured custard all over it, and served it up! My aunts ( three teenagers at that point!) couldn’t stop giggling! Happy times!

Janiepops Thu 26-Mar-20 09:42:01

Sorry, no doggies in story grin

ninathenana Thu 26-Mar-20 09:42:50

Sorry a cat tale not a dog.

Not long after we were married our cat came over the high back garden wall with a butcher shop carrier bag in his mouth. Obviously it smelt of meat but when we retrieved it from him it contained tomatoes !
We later discovered he'd gone in a open back door 5 houses away and had grabbed the bag from the kitchen table.

CleoPanda Thu 26-Mar-20 09:51:53

Such hilarious stories. I’ve been in stitches. Thanks for the light relief.

Lindylou23 Thu 26-Mar-20 09:52:01

One Christmas my daughter dog boxer Cross, ate a whole box of Roses wrappers aswell, in the morning as nature took its course they were coming out still in wrapper, my daughter and son in law were betting on which colour would come out next.

elleks Thu 26-Mar-20 09:53:03

Having the family over for Sunday dinner, and I did a beef roast. Found the cat chewing the end of the joint, so I just cut it off and served the rest.