Gransnet forums

Chat

Perfume favourites and why?

(142 Posts)
Missfoodlove Thu 23-Apr-20 11:02:06

I have a “ signature” perfume Nuxe Prodigieux, I find the scent uplifting and really sensuous.

For every day I use scents from Jeanne en Provence, their perfumes are from £8-£20 a bottle, the smells really make you feel as though you’re in Southern France, light, delicate,feminine floral notes.

Special occasions it’s Juliet has a Gun Lady Vengeance, it is so provocative and empowering.

What are your favourites and why?

JuliaM Fri 24-Apr-20 15:04:02

Heaven Scent by Helena Rubenstien from my Teenage years, no longer available.
Chamade and Shalimar from my days when l was free from my abusive first husband, and having some good times once more. Anais Anais as it reminds me of my Mum, it was her favourite. Alien, a Modern everyday perfume, which my Daughter bought me for my Birthday, and J'adore, although im starting to tire of it now and prefare Lady Millions instead!

My Daughters friend works for a company that make copies of some of the leading perfumes and often when shes wearing one of these, its difficult to distinguish it from the original, alothough they are not allowed to give them a similar name, and are all known by their Numbers, all retail at around 25% of what a bottle of the original would cost, but of couse tyeir chemistry cannot ever be exactly the same, as this is a very closely gaurded manufacturers secret.

Tempest Fri 24-Apr-20 15:05:06

Chanel Coco Eau de Parfum.
When I was younger Rive Gauche Eau de toilette.
I find the Eau de toilette strength no longer lasts on me, the fragrance just evaporates. Has to be Eau de parfum.

Grannyboots1 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:10:17

First perfumes Youth Dew.
Beautiful
Real favourite is Dolce & Cabana Light Blue

Tedd1 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:12:08

My favourite is La Vie est Belle by Lancôme although some of you have mentioned perfumes I haven't heard of so maybe I will try something new!

Baloothefitz Fri 24-Apr-20 15:41:11

I too suffer from migraine & some perfumes are like nerve gas for me ,especially Samsara & Dune . At work my nightmare on a night shift is a colleague going for her break ,smoking then covering herself with a heavy perfume .In Canada in many work places the wearing of perfume is not allowed because of the effect on migraine sufferers. Strangely mens aftershaves dont seem to have such a sick inducing smell ,so I have often worn those on nights out . I recall Gingham & Heaven Scent from my teenage years also ,very nice.

Lettice Fri 24-Apr-20 15:43:45

Like Canklekitten and a couple of other posters, Rive Gauche has been my favourite for many years, alternated with Clinique's Aromatic Elixir. I just like 'em. Only drawback to perfume wearing is that everybody else gets the benefit and I cannot smell it after a little while. But I love it when I open a long closed wardrobe/cupboard and get that whiff.

heath480 Fri 24-Apr-20 15:47:22

I remember Fidji by Guy Laroche,think it is still available,my flat mate in the early 1970’s always wore it when she went out,I loved it at the time.I used to like Rive Gauche around the same time.

Missfoodlove Fri 24-Apr-20 15:54:58

I’m sitting in my favourite spot in my garden just getting some beautiful smells of Wisteria and spring blossom and reading all your responses.

It’s so lovely smelling different perfume and finding “ the one”.
I feel now I want to explore Jo Loves, Aqua Manda and many others you have mentioned.

I should have mentioned in the original post I buy Jeanne en Provence from a site called Notino, they are super speedy and cheap.

If any of you fancy trying the Juliet has a Gun range they do a perfume library of 12 mini perfumes for 20 euro, it takes about a week to come direct from their website.
It makes a lovely gift.

Thank you for responding and keep them coming.

GrammaH Fri 24-Apr-20 16:04:49

Jo Malone's Lime, Basil & Mandarin for the daytime though Superdrug sell one that smells almost identical for a fiver so I've always got a bottle of that in my handbag. In the evenings & for special occasions I wear Estee Lauder's Modern Muse. I just saw an advert for it on tv when it was new, tried it & loved it. I have A LOT of it as DH always buys me a gift set for Christmas & birthdays without realising how much I've got in stock! It's been lovely seeing posts reminding me of old favourites like Aqua Manda, Fidji & Tresor

Scrumptious Fri 24-Apr-20 16:25:09

Coco Chanel after years of wearing it it still makes me go ahhhh when I first spray Have tried many others Givenchy my all time favourite when I was younger but a few raunchier ones for clubbing Lulu, Obsession & even Joy

Coppernob Fri 24-Apr-20 16:29:51

Givenchy Ysatis for day time.
Kenzo Jungle for evening.

Most perfumes bring me out in a rash but these two I know I’m alright with.

4allweknow Fri 24-Apr-20 16:43:10

Chanel 5 is my favourite. I do have what is to me, an awful lot of perfumes so I am inclined to vary between 3 I have open. Others are still sealed awaiting their turn.

nannafizz Fri 24-Apr-20 17:08:36

Oopsadaisy3
I remember Anna Sui with fondness , I used to wear it years ago - absolutely loved it . Where do you get it from? I’d love to try some again.

langelei Fri 24-Apr-20 17:10:55

I used to love Penhaligon's "Lily of the Valley". Sadly all perfumes seem to leave me with migraines now. Unfortunately I have a brand new, unused, cellophane wrapped bottle laying in my draw, now unloved and looking for a new home. What a waste! sad

AlisonKF Fri 24-Apr-20 17:51:03

I still love Je Reviens but don't know what happened to it. The name seems to have been bought by an inferior manufacturer. All I can see online is eau de toilette. Does any body know if the authentic perfume is actually available?

glammagran Fri 24-Apr-20 18:02:09

Opium gave me a rash all over my neck.

I had to ask someone in an office if they could not use LouLou as I was allergic to it.

Current favourite is Bamboo by Gucci but would like the smell to last longer than it does

Acciaccatura Fri 24-Apr-20 18:20:03

My all time favourite is L'eau D'Issey and a current favourite is Beautiful by Estee Lauder.
Now that we are not going out, I'm not wearing my best perfumes. Does anyone know how long they last?

J52 Fri 24-Apr-20 18:21:08

All time favourites Channel No5 and Miss Dior. But I came across Elizabeth Arden’s 5th Avenue and now wear it in the summer.

hollysteers Fri 24-Apr-20 19:03:48

Although I love makeup and dressing up, I think there are far too many scents on offer, it’s too confusing! It would suit me if we had say three categories, floral, musk and maybe limey (which I like). Probably I would have been happy in communist Russia with no choice, I’m the same with supermarket food shopping? My sense of smell has deteriorated too.
However someone mentioned Paloma Picasso, I liked that and I used to like Paris.

katie1 Fri 24-Apr-20 19:04:45

Chanel No.5. I have worn it all my married life. I once suggested to my grown up children if I should perhaps try another scent. They were unanimous in telling me'No!', they said whenever they smell it on someone else it reminds them of me, and my scarves smell of it and it will always be me ?

hollysteers Fri 24-Apr-20 19:06:02

And ‘celebrity’ scents are just annoying.
BTW I read recently that scent, not perfume, can be kept in the fridge. It’s annoying to open a box and find the scent has gone orf.

Dollymc1 Fri 24-Apr-20 19:22:22

My favourite is Liz Earle no 15, I just love it, it's quite 'spicy'
My other two faves are Lancome, La vie est belle and Tresor
Someone upthread asked if anyone remembered Oscar de la Renta, I loved this one when I was younger and spotted it for sale in Bodycare and bought a bottle for old times sake

Nannytrace Fri 24-Apr-20 20:01:35

Armani Mania. It’s the only perfume I’ve had where I have bought repeat bottles. It is such a lovely fragrance. When my granddaughter was born, I always made sure I wore it when I saw her so she should associate that smell with me. She is now 10 months old and I’m hoping it will help us to reconnect when lockdown is over. She’s still so small and I worry if she will remember me without any contact. I’m banking on Georgia Armani to assist with the reunion. Love that baby girl.

t42and24t Fri 24-Apr-20 20:10:32

Chance by Chanel,Llair du temp and to take right back to 70s Avons Wishing !!!!!!

Bijou Fri 24-Apr-20 20:52:26

Coco Chanel but my granddaughter always buys me Chanel No 5. Years ago I liked Quelques Fleurs and Jolie Madame. Ones taste changes over the years and perfumes come and go.
At one time I used Helena Rubenstein products.