Gransnet forums

Chat

Can't remember where I left my Sense of Humour

(68 Posts)
May7 Fri 29-May-20 14:36:51

I've always had a weird sense of humour. I can find the funny side of anything and so can my DH. Its what attracted me to him years ago. (he thinks it was his dashing looks ha) We tease and laugh at each other constantly. Banter starts and then it just keeps feeding. Its got me out of sticky situations too.

However, I've lost my sense of humour over the last few days. I've looked for it everywhere.....under the bed, in the fridge (that's usually where lost things are found in this house) and in the bits and bobs drawer but alas all I can find is my tiny violin and the noise of that is irritating the hell out me

I need my Sense of Humour back please. I've tried to send a message to St Anthony he the guy of lost things but hes self isolating and knows that I'm not a believer so no luck there then. I need it back. If anyone else has borrowed it please return to its loving owner ASAP
Anyone else lost theirs?

Sussexborn Fri 29-May-20 14:47:02

Did you remember to say please to St Anthony? He’s a stickler for good manners or so I am told.

You could try “with the help of God and two policemen”. That used to work for my Granny.

Katyj Fri 29-May-20 16:39:43

Lost mine too,must be with yours somewhere! I realised a few days back I haven’t laughed for ages can’t remember when, even the funnies sent from friends via WhatsApp etc don’t even interest me never mind make me laugh. I’m hoping when we can get out and about again it’ll help ?

grandMattie Fri 29-May-20 16:48:11

Is st. Jude the one you need? Or the French use St. Expedius. Perhaps you try him?
Not really having one, I feel like Margot in The Good Life at times, having to have everything explained with diagrams too... ?

AGAA4 Fri 29-May-20 16:52:10

Maybe they have been stolen. Mine disappeared a few days ago. Should we call the humour police?

EllanVannin Fri 29-May-20 16:54:19

I can still laugh thank goodness, even at the expense of a neighbour who's paranoid when anyone walks anywhere near him, but he takes my laughing in good part.

I can be talking ( at distance ) to him one minute and the next minute, he's hopped into his car because he sees someone yards away coming towards where he is. I think it's hilarious.

DiscoGran Fri 29-May-20 17:20:04

It'll be down between the cushions on the sofa. ?

shysal Fri 29-May-20 17:24:22

Try watching an old 'Would I Lie to You' on TV. There is usually one on some Freeview channel. I defy anybody to keep a straight face when watching. Very funny and no swearing. I always have a few recorded programmes to fill an odd 30 mins and to cheer me up.
Hope you find your SOH soon. flowers

Chewbacca Fri 29-May-20 17:25:24

Have you been hanging around the News & Politics thread at all May7? I've found that I've lost my sense of humour there a few times but it tends to come back when I go elsewhere.

MerylStreep Fri 29-May-20 17:40:41

No. Mines still alive and kicking ? I suppose it helps that I live in my non-covid bubble. I don't read ( except on here) listen or watch anything to do with the virus.
I have laughs every day with my great neighbours over the fences. All the laughs are non- coved related.

lemongrove Fri 29-May-20 17:46:10

Chewbacca tin hats are handed out when you check into the news and politics threads ...... very few posters have the mindset that we must agree to disagree on certain subjects.☹️
I do understand May but try and hang onto a positive world view even if you can’t manage any humour.It will return of it’s own accord, a bit like a runaway cat.?

DiscoGran Fri 29-May-20 17:50:22

Watch Soul Boy on catch up BBC 1. It'll cheer you right up. Lovely people helping a teenager who's been in care since age 6 find his way in life via music and dancing.

lemongrove Fri 29-May-20 17:55:43

I’m enjoying watching The A Word....always funny, touching
And generally uplifting.

Sussexborn Fri 29-May-20 17:57:38

When our rabbit went missing we were told to leave the hutch door open so he could find his way home. Perhaps if you leave your front door open your sense of humour will turn up when you least expect it. Or you may find someone has nicked your silver.

CraftyGranny Fri 29-May-20 18:03:40

Chewy I think you right about the N&P threads. I always loose my SOH if I am reading the thread, but mostly loose my temper, so don't go on anymore.

I seem to have lost my ability to start a conversation these days. There is just nothing to talk about. Been nowhere, done nothing. News is ridiculous etc

CraftyGranny Fri 29-May-20 18:08:46

May7 have you looked under the sofa. We find all sorts under there

PamelaJ1 Fri 29-May-20 18:35:36

AGAA4 - no point calling the humour police. They have been furloughed. If you are lucky you may get a webchat.
You’ll only need an hour or two.?

May7 Fri 29-May-20 18:48:17

Thank you for your suggestions.
ST Jude I believe is the PS of lost causes. Hopefully I'm not there yet.

Yes I have been lurking on the N&P and I've learnt so much from so many knowledgeable people especially when there are links to follow. I have to say the debating usually makes me chuckle so can't blame that I'm afraid.

I think it's because we are in a strange sort of limbo really. Our plans are on hold (as are everyone else's) and I am a Plan A then B then C sort of a person.

I used to cry with laughter at some of the threads on here but they seem to have dropped off. I'm not surprised given the state were all in.

I'll keep looking...it will be lurking near the surface somewhere.
Chins up everyone

Oldwoman70 Fri 29-May-20 18:58:27

If you have been reading the N&P threads then I think your sense of humour has gone into hiding in an effort of self preservation. When mine did a runner, I avoided GN completely for a few days and it returned, bruised but willing to try again.

Oopsadaisy3 Fri 29-May-20 19:18:02

I thought St.Anthony found lost tea spoons? I think St Jude is the one you should be asking.........
I could be wrong .

tidyskatemum Fri 29-May-20 21:40:10

Yes, isn't St Anthony lost property and St Jude lost causes? We rediscovered our sense of humour the other night. We've both been suffering from brain fog. In DH's case he keeps calling things by the wrong name and when he described the window cleaner as the washerman I just got the giggles. We both ended up almost crying with laughter and could barely stand up. Even though it was ridiculous it made us feel better!

cornergran Fri 29-May-20 23:41:31

I think it’s one of those things that just appears when you stop looking for it may7. As the stress reduces your sense of humour will take its place. De-stress, maybe stop reading some threads and it will be back and surprise you. smile.

whywhywhy Sat 30-May-20 01:23:28

Sense of humour? What is that? I got married and mine just leapt out of the window! Hopefully it will return once the divorce is finalised!

Oopsadaisy3 Sat 30-May-20 09:03:32

We get a steady supply of funny emails, we don’t watch the News and we try to watch up beat programmes. It works for us.
It’s hard to be optimistic when TV and the Press are determined to depress us.

silverlining48 Sat 30-May-20 09:30:36

St Jude is definitely he of lost causes....hopefully your loss of sense of humour will return post haste.