Gransnet forums

Chat

Please can I have permission to either scream or cry?

(87 Posts)
phoenix Fri 12-Jun-20 20:27:00

Hello all,

Things not going well, don't seem able to get my point across without an argument, but of course Mr P doesn't do arguments, he just shuts down.sad

I don't seem to have a husband, just a housemate.

Sandrax Sat 13-Jun-20 20:42:35

Try writing him a letter and leave him alone to read it and think about it. It will help you keep your temper and calm so you don't shout or cry.
It might help him take your concerns seriously.

annsixty Sat 13-Jun-20 20:57:32

Is there something else going on besides reluctance to see the GP?
You need to get to grips with things by a serious conversation .

Choose your moment but also choose your battle, don’t waste it on unimportant matters.

Atqui Sat 13-Jun-20 21:13:51

knspol yes indeed- be careful what you wish for! My H doesn’t know the meaning of discuss. It’s full blown argument As in row , or nothing.

Joesoap Sat 13-Jun-20 22:24:16

He must be my Husbands twin! Mine will argue about anything, can not agree with anything I say, he must say the opposite, and must always be right, its infuriating.

Pommiegran Sun 14-Jun-20 09:10:46

I suspect I am a bit like Mr P ! I find confrontation very hard, and do just close off. My other half often complains he has a housekeeper rather than a wife, because I am expected to respond well to his every request, whim, peeve or even compliment. The best approach (for me), is not to confront or criticise, or try to obviously improve. Keep Calm and Carry On !

Peardrop50 Mon 15-Jun-20 17:45:34

Phoenix, sorry if my post sounded flippant, the fact that you haven't come back indicates that things are more serious than I thought. Hope your Mr P is okay.
I'm afraid my Stepford wives moves to make a calm and happy environment with my Mr P lasted 3 weeks. He put on a dark wash load this morning with two of our lovely, white, fluffy towels, now not so lovely, slightly grey towels.

phoenix Mon 15-Jun-20 19:17:12

Thank you all.

He just won't talk!

I thought I'd made a bit of progress with getting him to agree to have an eye test, but no.

He is very good at saying "yes" to stop the conversation, then back tracking. sad

To be honest, I can't see much changing.

FarNorth Mon 15-Jun-20 19:38:07

In that situation, I wouldn't feel like talking to him - I'd be too dispirited. sad

annep1 Mon 15-Jun-20 19:48:18

Sometimes we just have to give up and accept things as they are. We can't force people to take care of their health, unfortunately.

phoenix Mon 15-Jun-20 19:52:17

Wise words, annep1

Farnorth I'm starting to feel that way. sad We have the odd occasion where he will have a laughing sort of moan about work colleagues that he has been on conference calls with, but anything personal or important, forget it.

merlotgran Mon 15-Jun-20 20:25:29

I'm often in the 'leave him to it' camp as well.

The reason all has been peace and harmony chez merlot during lockdown is because all DH's outpatients appointments have been put on hold. Three months of not having to persuade him that it's not really a pain in the a**e to make the effort to go and it's all for his own good and he should be grateful etc., etc., has been bliss.

With the easing of lockdown I just know it's all going to start again soon. hmm

Men!!