Gransnet forums

Chat

2M ruling could be relaxed

(82 Posts)
12Michael Sun 14-Jun-20 07:34:47

Looking on the BBC news webpage as well as the red button on TV .
PM Boris is under pressure to relax the ruling , but he is commissioning a survey first, and pressure from back benchers .
Mick

harrigran Sun 14-Jun-20 09:49:09

I would not be in any hurry to relax the two metre rule.
New outbreaks in China and in Rome prove that the virus does not go away.
I am so worried about DD who has had to be out and about all week travelling on public transport and being in her aunt's house. My sister has steadfastly refused to isolate.

Houndi Sun 14-Jun-20 10:11:25

The WHO said it couldnt be transmitted from animal to human ans China have far to much influence with them

Gajahgran Sun 14-Jun-20 10:14:39

We will be sticking to the 2m rule. The guidance from the government is only advisory. Everybody has to do what they feel is necessary to keep themselves safe. Some will not do so obviously.

Esmerelda Sun 14-Jun-20 10:23:37

I do so agree with Gajahgran ... however, please get it into your heads that wearing a mask with NOT keep YOU safe. It is for the benefit of others so you do not infect them! So, if you want to reduce the risk to all then everybody should be wearing masks (ie on public transport). Can you see that happening with the population in general?

Elegran Sun 14-Jun-20 10:26:28

JE you say "The risk of catching the virus now is very small. I read that only one person in 1,700 is infected now." When the virus first reached this country, while people were mingling unsuspecting and unconcerned, even fewer of the population were infected - hardly any. Because everyone was close together and not observing any distancing or other precautions, it spread rapidly around the people they came into contact with.

There was a reason for keeping 2 metres apart - anyone coughing, sneezing, or even puffing and panting (joggers?) in your direction sends droplets that far in front of them. Further than that the droplets are more likely to fall to the ground. Stay apart and stay safe. Wear a mask if you are going to be closer. With small children, make the mask a game - children will accept it if it is fun.

Now that the first wave of infections has subsided because though it has not been totally observed, lockdown has ensured most people at least do not get as close together we are back to the situation we were in at the start of the year. The whole cycle could restart if we all get too close to one another again.

THE VIRUS HAS NOT GONE AWAY. IT IS STILL CIRULATING AND THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION HAVE NOT YET HAD IT. DON'T GET COMPLACENT.

Elegran Sun 14-Jun-20 10:31:21

Gajahgran " Everybody has to do what they feel is necessary to keep themselves safe. "

I would add to that " and to keep everyone they meet safe too"

Annaram1 Sun 14-Jun-20 10:33:38

The UK is still a very dangerous country as far as the virus is concerned. We had the second highest number of deaths from it in the world until a few days ago when we were
overtaken by Brazil. President Bolsinaro does not believe the virus is anything more than a dose of flu and so any distance between people there is not imposed.
I think 2 metres apart is the safest as this is a such a dangerous time for us.

Elegran Sun 14-Jun-20 10:37:36

If complacency sets in we will relax our guard and the numbers of infections (and hence of deaths) will rise again. We definitely don't want to overtake Brazil again! Let them keep their second place!

lemsip Sun 14-Jun-20 10:39:37

at least 2 metres for me.... keep yourself safe.

Daisyboots Sun 14-Jun-20 11:01:47

In Portugal it is still 2metres apart plus masks have been compulsory since shops started to open on May 4th. It's not difficult to accept the rules when you see the number of infections and deaths really dropping. There has been a small spike in cases in the Lisbon due to some workers living and working in close proximity and this has been dealt with and cafes and takeaways have been closed.

4allweknow Sun 14-Jun-20 11:02:18

Daisymae I too am mystified about the school thing. A childminder I know has been having childrens of all ages come to her house and mix with her own child. Absolutely no social distancing, all play equipment in use and the adults when calling to collect the child/ren sit and have a chat round a small garden table. And, these are key workers! How does that fit with school closures?

Gwenisgreat1 Sun 14-Jun-20 11:11:50

Furret - I think New Zealand took action early, there were comparatively few cases there.

If it helps the economy, I suppose I'd better go with it, but for the main part I will still be self isolating.

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 11:21:04

Gwen The reason there were very few deaths there was because they took action early. We could have done the same.

BUR they really pushed the 2m distancing rule. They had songs/jingles about it for their school children and the police even issued one.

It saddens me that we too could have clamped down hard when infection rates were low... but we didn’t.

4allweknow no social distancing in reception and Y1 and no PPE either. Your childminder might be breaking lockdown rules or there again it could be just another example of Boris-think?

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 11:28:28

Like many countries, New Zealand had models that showed that a potential coronavirus outbreak could be devastating if no action was taken. Unlike some other countries, New Zealand responded relatively fast.
When Ardern announced on March 14 that anyone entering the country would need to self isolate for two weeks, it was among the toughest border restrictions in the world. At the time, the country had six cases.
When, on March 19, Ardern banned foreigners from entering the country, there were 28 confirmed cases.
And on March 23, when Ardern announced that the country was going into lockdown, there were 102 confirmed cases -- and no deaths

Juicylucy Sun 14-Jun-20 11:31:55

I feel for all these shop owners that have painstakingly purchased and displayed the 2M rules all around there stores, some of them stuck on there floors and windows. What a cost and complete nightmare for them to get them removed and 1m ones to be displayed.

Furret Sun 14-Jun-20 11:33:33

JenniferEccles

The risk of catching the virus now is very small.

I read that only one person in 1,700 is infected now.

So that leaves 1699 still at risk or am I missing something?

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 12:06:54

Grandad1943

My wife and I are being told, under legislation, we cannot visit our daughters or their families in their homes and also we must keep a two-metre distance from all others wherever we go.

However, we witness now night after night on our televisions large numbers of protesters totally disregarding that legislation while carrying out large scale violence and disruption while little or nothing is done to stop them.

This government appears to have totally lost all control of the Covid-19 restraint situation, and for me now "Enough is Enough."

Someone in authority needs to get a grip.

I agree.

It is extremely frustrating.

Callistemon Sun 14-Jun-20 12:10:26

New Zealand's population is half that of London.

Some island countries have had no cases at all.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jun-20 12:25:35

It appears there were many who ' stuck their fingers in the air' when it came to distancing as was observed during what should have been PEACEFUL demonstrations for BLM
I refer to those who , clearly were not there to support BLM, but cause as much disruption as possible and distancing being the last thing on their mind.

sarahellenwhitney Sun 14-Jun-20 12:35:59

Juicyluicy
Why remove ? I enjoy grinnot having other shoppers breathing down my kneck. bliss

GreenGran78 Sun 14-Jun-20 12:41:33

The police broke up an illegal ‘rave party’ in our local country park, the other night. They estimated that there were around 1,000 people there. Many now seem to be taking the attitude that, as they haven’t caught it yet, it has gone away. Either that, or they are finding it exciting to gamble with their own, and their family’s health.

I will still try to keep to the 2 metre rule, not matter what Boris decides, but I fear that another Spike is on the way after all the illegal activities going on.

As for the ‘bubble’ rules......well, one size doesn’t fit all. I feel that the ‘sensible’ people, and there are still some around, should decide for themselves what is safe and suitable for themselves.

SaraC Sun 14-Jun-20 13:50:44

From what I can make out, it seems as though there is an almost complete breakdown in public trust, compliance or order in England at the moment. A parody of a Prime Minister who was more concerned with propaganda than policy and now that he has, by dint of relying on an unscrupulous anarchist of a senior advisor, got the ‘top job’ doesn’t have a clue how to manage it. Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland clearly no longer trust the directives from Westminster, and the public in England appear to be taking matters into their own hands. This is not going to turn out well.... I am so disillusioned with the ‘democracy’ in what was once such a well respected country.

Stella14 Sun 14-Jun-20 13:59:51

In all of the talk about reducing the distance to one metre because it will “make things easier”, the emphasis is on the rule, on changing ‘the rule’. This is about health and the risk of death, not the bloody rule!

Bluecat Sun 14-Jun-20 14:13:27

If droplets used to travel 2 metres, are they now going to travel only 1 metre?

Seems ridiculous to me. Just done so places like pubs and restaurants can re-open, regardless of health risks.

JCFrance Sun 14-Jun-20 15:06:29

@AJKW the distancing rules vary in France from 1 metre to 1.5 metres. Also population density in the UK as a whole is twice that of France and England three times that of France.
Better to be safe if possible.