Gransnet forums

Chat

2M ruling could be relaxed

(82 Posts)
12Michael Sun 14-Jun-20 07:34:47

Looking on the BBC news webpage as well as the red button on TV .
PM Boris is under pressure to relax the ruling , but he is commissioning a survey first, and pressure from back benchers .
Mick

Callistemon Mon 15-Jun-20 09:40:09

BlueSky

Masks, masks, masks! That's how they manage abroad with the 1m rule!

?

EllanVannin Mon 15-Jun-20 09:45:21

Do what you yourself feel right with, taking into consideration age and health. It's a question of using common sense really.

Happiyogi Mon 15-Jun-20 11:32:46

How do masks offer protection to drinkers or diners in a pub or restaurant setting?

MayBee70 Mon 15-Jun-20 12:38:45

You can only take the mask off at your table when eating or drinking. I assume that you wear a mask when placing your order etc. I still don’t see how restaurants and pubs can ever be made safe when indoors, though: there’s no way that I’d go into either of them, especially as they’re places that you’d spend a long time in, thereby increasing the viral load.I don’t understand why people in this country constantly questions the wearing of masks and look for reasons not to wear one. All countries that use masks are doing far better at controlling the virus. If we don’t embrace mask wearing, social distancing, testing, tracing isolating etc we’ll still have this virus long after other countries have eliminated it. I just saw a news report from a York and hardly anyone shopping seemed to be wearing masks.

12Michael Mon 15-Jun-20 15:06:38

No 10 says a review into the 2m social distancing rule will be completed "in the coming weeks".

However the PM's spokesman could not say if it would be done by the time hospitality venues in England are due to reopen on 4 July.

The government has come under pressure from the hospitality industry and its own MPs to relax the 2m rule.

The spokesman said the government was in talks with hospitality but there was a duty to ensure reopening was "safe".

The announcement comes as some shops in England reopen for the first time since the lockdown was introduced, with long queues reported outside Primark shops in London and Birmingham.

MayBee70 Mon 15-Jun-20 18:39:11

A one metre rule would pretty much mean no social distancing at all as most people tend to be 2 /3 feet away from other people. The government are desperate to find a reason to reduce it: it’s a foregone conclusion and probably the reason why the scientific advisors no longer seem to attend the daily briefing.