Gransnet forums

Chat

OK, where is it?

(145 Posts)
Chewbacca Thu 16-Jul-20 12:42:41

How many places are there in a kitchen for a 10" bread knife to disappear into? It was in the knife block yesterday morning; I know this because I used it to slice the loaf for breakfast toast. This morning it had gone. I've searched the dishwasher, drawers, the bin, the bread bin. Nada. So.... who's got the bread knife?

Marydoll Thu 16-Jul-20 22:49:58

Chewy, by any chance is my sweater in your washing machine? wink

Bathsheba Thu 16-Jul-20 22:50:03

Well I think he's also run off with my bottle of Bud Light that I'd put in the fridge. It was there yesterday morning, rolling about on the bottom shelf, then when I went to get it in the evening it had gone!

And no, DH wouldn't have nicked it - I mean, come on, it's low alcohol, get real!!! He was happily sitting in his favourite armchair with a bottle of Stella wink

Bathsheba Thu 16-Jul-20 22:52:40

Read the thread, read the thread, read the thread.....

So anyway, whaddya think has happened to my Bud Light? It's clearly not with Chewy's knife, so... Anyone seen it? Got any ideas?

Chewbacca Thu 16-Jul-20 23:02:21

Hang on folks whilst I go and have another rummage in the washer. ..... Marydoll's chartreuse jumper, Bathsheba's Bud Light, kittylester's tea tray and Doodle's ice cream scoop. .....

SusieFlo Fri 17-Jul-20 08:46:20

Whoever’s taking them will be very small and wearing red velvet shorts belonging to my 2 year old that went missing c.1982 from ours.

kittylester Fri 17-Jul-20 08:48:09

I've found the tea tray too! Our cleaner put it away in it's cupboard! Why? confused

4allweknow Fri 17-Jul-20 09:09:38

Try the oven!

Theoddbird Fri 17-Jul-20 09:23:42

The Borrowers.... They also love socks wink

NotSpaghetti Fri 17-Jul-20 09:25:29

My husband found a large kitchen knife outside a house just 300yds up the road from here. Lying on the pavement!

He came home and called the police (in case...) and obviously didn't touch it. However, apparently they "don't collect knives anymore". ?‍♀️

Scottiebear Fri 17-Jul-20 09:31:16

Our upstairs phone disappeared for months. Nowhere to be found despite several extensive searches by both DH and myself. Only to reappear months later in a fairly obvious place we had both searched more than once.

weeducky Fri 17-Jul-20 09:34:39

Funnily enough I was just going to write that I lost the metal plug from the utility room sink, searched everywhere, from dustbin to shed...lo and behold when I went to hang out the washing it fell on to the grass!!!...it was glistening!
@Chewbacca

Dianehillbilly1957 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:38:52

If there's a man living in your house check the garage and man sheds!!

barbaranrod Fri 17-Jul-20 09:39:34

i have found this page most amusing as i thought it was only me who lost cutlery ,and for it to turn up in the most amazing places ,(once found my best serving spoon in my bed ),dont ask ,,so thank you for making me feel normal

DanniRae Fri 17-Jul-20 09:48:02

I was once visiting a friend and when it was time to go home I went to pick up my reading glasses from the window sill where I had left them. They were not there so my friend and I started searching - we couldn't find them anywhere. Then I glanced at the window sill and they were now there. This is a true story and "NO" we hadn't been drinking!! confused

blondenana Fri 17-Jul-20 09:50:06

I lost a remote control belong to ,my bedroom TV i searched everywhere, i usually left it on my bedside table or in a shallow drawer in the bedside table
I looked for several weeks and couldn't find it, looked in my laundry basket,in case i had picked it up with sheets etc for washing, all the drawers and wardrobes. nowhere to be found,
My daughter bought me a new one from Currys eventally.
A few days later i opened my bedside drawer, having opened it several times since the remote disappeared, and there it was, right at the front,
There is no way it could have got stuck underneath anything the drawer is only about 2 inches deep, and i had completely emptied it at one point,very strange,
Also had a large knife disappeared, never to be seen since

Craftycat Fri 17-Jul-20 09:55:39

Let me know if you find them as mine have walked too!

DeeDee60 Fri 17-Jul-20 09:59:29

I have a habit of putting remote controls in my handbag. Then searching everywhere. Sounds like it might be in the bin? Have you found it. Also definitely do the elf thing sad

Flakesdayout Fri 17-Jul-20 10:14:41

I have lost my favourite peeler - think that may have gone out with the vegetable peelings. As others have said retrace your steps. Has it gone into another drawer, in the bread bin, behind the bread bin, Put out with the house waste in a bin. My mum lost her handbag once. I found it in the spare bed, all tucked up. As for socks - that must be another thread. Hope you find it.

Chewbacca Fri 17-Jul-20 10:15:38

I have a mental image of The Borrowers clutching their sides with laughter and pointing at us whilst we scurry round the house in ever more frantic circles, searching for the items they've hidden! The little buggers! grin

jocork Fri 17-Jul-20 10:17:22

When my son was still a student and was home for the holidays he lost his student railcard more than once. The first time it turned up in the footrest of a recliner chair - fell in then chair folded on it!
The next time we couldn't find it anywhere, then a friend called to say she'd found it inside a book she'd had with her when at my house!
I'm still missing a cereal bowl which disappeared about a year ago when I had a friend's son staying with me for a few weeks. He swore he hadn't broken it (my first thought) and offered to replace it but I knew that would be impossible as it was an old one formerly my mother's! I still expect to find it somewhere strange eventually.

threexnanny Fri 17-Jul-20 10:27:21

Having just turned- out my bedside cabinet drawer I can recommend looking for lost items in there. Not just misplaced stuff but things I don't remember buying in the first place!

Nannyme Fri 17-Jul-20 10:32:27

I made a mask, really proud of it, now I cant find it anywhere, and no I’m not wearing it, I think it may have gone out with the rubbish.

Mapleleaf Fri 17-Jul-20 10:33:48

Late last year, I couldn't find my ladle. DH and I searched the kitchen, looking carefully in the utensil holder where it should live, the cutlery drawer, the baking drawer. Zilch. Nowhere to be seen. So, we bought a new one. Of course, the old one turned up exactly where it should have been in the utensil jar. That jar had been emptied during our search for it...??

Saggi Fri 17-Jul-20 10:34:16

I’ve lost a couple of small sharp paring knives.... thrown out with peelings is all I can guess...... as that’s where I found he third one to ‘go walkabout’... try you dustbin!

Hellis Fri 17-Jul-20 10:37:46

I'd lost several pieces of cutlery, peelers etc over a few years from the kitchen drawer. One day I heard my good scissors fall down behind the drawer as I shut it, so removed t he plinth board from under the cupboard. Along with my scissors I found all the missing items plus things I didn't even know I had lost