Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday

(62 Posts)
12Michael Mon 24-Aug-20 06:14:32

Good Morning Everyone,
Its a dry start but a dull grey sky at the moment .
Nice easy day today some housework and watch TV cycling wise with the European Champs , and slowly by the end of the week the start of the later planned Tour De France , to predict a winner for that race is a big gamble .
With Covid -19 playing its part in the event which could effect the race as well, and the final outcome .
Take Care ,
Mick

grandMattie Mon 24-Aug-20 08:39:46

Thanks everyone. You’re right, Marydoll, I won’t rest easy until DS2 is home, but at least I know he’s being cared for.
I got DD’s title wrong... It’s “Dean for women’s ministry”. She says she is now superior to her boss in the church hierarchy, he being a mere vicar ? but it’s only one day a week so she’s still associate vicar in her parish.
DS2 managed some sleep despite bleeping and BP etc checks through the night, so it’s all going well

Kalu Mon 24-Aug-20 08:42:44

Good morning everyone from a lighter shade of grey in Glasgow. I have just had a quick look at the forecast and we are promised a calm day with sunshine to arrive later. Doesn’t stop the earworm of ?It Might As Well Rain Until September ? though. ?

Oh dear GrandmaFrench. One of the joys of having pets, they have accidents occasionally. We always had a pair of yellow labs. who shed constantly, one of the reasons they were not allowed up on sofas etc. Enough hair at floor level to vacuum!

Good news your DS2 is on the road to recovery grandMattie and congratulations to your DD. I wish her well in her new position.

I do envy you being woken by a bouncy 4yr old Pittcity Enjoy your busy day ahead.

As it’s a calm day I can finish off spray painting which was put on hold with too many windy days.

Have a good day all, hope the day is kind to those with worries and a special good luck to all children who are back at school.

Georgesgran Mon 24-Aug-20 08:47:33

Good morning from Durham - where so far, it’s dry! What a day yesterday, the rain never stopped and I didn’t even venture out to the dustbin.
On the minus side - it’s cold and we had the heating on last night and it’s on now.

DH wants to go to a Garden Centre for breakfast. I can’t eat early, but we’ll go anyway as he very rarely wants to do much these days.

New battery ordered for my car, so will pop across to the garage later and get it fitted. Hope that will sort out the ‘stop/start’ function which isn’t working.

Hoping everyone has the best day they can. X

Anniebach Mon 24-Aug-20 08:48:08

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Stilllearning Mon 24-Aug-20 08:48:11

Morning from cool South Lanarkshire, big adventure for me today. For years pre lockdown I went into my youngest daughter’s on a Sunday for lunch and stayed till Tuesday, looking after her two children. It was a lifesaver for me after my husband died after years of Alzheimer’s. All came to a shuddering halt in March of course but today we trial a new pattern where I go in on a Monday afternoon, she takes a short break from her work from home for a coffee and catch up and then picks up the children from school (I can’t, she says the school gate is mayhem). I’ll help with their homework and give them their dinner, then drive home.
I have missed them so much but do have butterflies, why is that??
Good wishes to all and good health to everyone who need it

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:06:36

Good morning Mick and all

Grey but dry here in S E Essex.

We went for a late Sunday lunch yesterday, only us and the friendly waiting staff at the beginning. DH phone rang and it was a video call from eldest AC and wife in Africa and they had a connection with their DD (our eldest GD) in Denmark it felt like we were all in the restaurant together. It made our weekend, they want us to go to theirs for a month or so as they are in a low risk area, apparently the flights and airports are empty but I am very nervous, no decision making anytime soon.

Off to the gym this morning then I have a manicure and pedicure booked, no doubt it will be a good chance to catch up with local —gossip— news.

Keep safe and well folks ?‍♀️

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:07:34

So after all the tutorials on another thread I still cannot strike through ???

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Aug-20 09:13:25

Good morning from a sunny and slightly breezy South Yorkshire. It's a huge improvement on yesterday's weather, which was somewhat wet by the afternoon. ?

Not a lot planned for today other than to plant some pansies we bought from our local garden centre yesterday. I'd better get them in today as the forecast for tomorrow is not good at all. I noticed on our trip out on Saturday that some leaves on certain trees are on the turn - it looks as if autumn is starting early this year.

Take care and ? for those of you feeling unwell or anxious at the moment.

Marydoll Mon 24-Aug-20 09:13:46

At least you can write in itallics! wink, far more useful! grin

Mapleleaf Mon 24-Aug-20 09:22:48

Grannygravy, you almost did it then, but you need two dashes immediately before the word you want to strike out and two dashes immediately after the word rather than just one dash either side of the word. ?
-- then another two -- (but no spaces like I've put here before and after the word/phrase if that makes sense. If I'd not put a space before and after, all you would see is the strike through).

Kalu Mon 24-Aug-20 09:25:20

You lucky besom Marydoll. What a brilliant present from the keeper. From one cheese lover to another, enjoy the experience of making your own cheese. ??

No wonder you are excited Stilllearning The worst part of lockdown for me is not having that normal part of my life with DD1 and her girls. I’m sure you will have a wonderful day being with your DD and GC again. You will certainly sleep tonight!?

Kalu Mon 24-Aug-20 09:30:45

Grannygravy I finally mastered strike through on my iPad with a bit of faffing, backspacing to bring the two dashes closer together which solved the problem. Good luck ?

Gelisajams Mon 24-Aug-20 09:33:50

Grannygravy I can’t do strike through either!

Serendipity22 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:45:38

Good morning everyone from sunny Yorkshire, yes, you read correctly, I wrote SUNNY, hahahaha.

Just sat outside to eat breakfast and say a cheery "hello" to people passing, wow, it feels wonderful.

Going on a 5 day holiday today, staying in a log cabin with hot tub, so as you can all imagine, due to the past 6 months this 5 day break is going to be extremely welcomed.

Hope you all have a lovely week, doing whatever you feel like doing, well, obviously within the guidelines, but we can all still have a positive day, week.

smile

Megs36 Mon 24-Aug-20 09:50:09

Good morning all, our Pre Diamond wedding (actual date is 27th) picnic yesterday was perfect, all the family 12 in total, most not seen since Christmas, as mentioned before, all arrived with food and celebration cake made by granddaughter who is a pattissierre (?spelling) , also video of greetings, weather was good except for one short sharp shower.Lots of sanitising wipes and social distancing so no hugs which has made us sad because it could be months before we see most of them again.

Taichinan Mon 24-Aug-20 09:53:04

Good morning Mick and all from the Angus coast where there is a hint of blue in the sky. Well, that was a lovely day yesterday! At last I have met my daughter's new man and his three teenage sons, and they are every bit as lovely as I expected. The two families meld so well and it was such a pleasure to be with them all. We had a lovely time wandering around a Perthshire beauty spot and taking lots of photos. Next weekend they all hope to come to me for a run on the beach and giant strawberry tarts before NM (New Man) and family have to head south again. I think this is definitely a relationship for keeps ❤️

Back down to earth and it looks like there may be movement on the tai chi classes with a committee meeting scheduled for this week. It's dependent now in availability of halls or outdoor places. We will obviously have to have smaller classes - but it's a start.

GrandMattie I'm so glad to hear that your DS is improving and ? you get him back with you today. Congratulations to your DD. You must be very proud.

Hope everyone's plans work out today, whatever they may be. ???

Urmstongran Mon 24-Aug-20 10:02:13

Sun’s up here! ?
Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s a misty start, warm though!

I’m late, been chatting to our youngest daughter on the phone for almost an hour - back to school for her (work) and our grandson goes in year 4 on 7 September whilst the baby of the family who will be 4y next January starts in reception. She seems too mini!

Then my neighbour came on he landing and we’ve been chatting ‘over the garden fence’.
?

Time to get a quick shower and we’re going downstairs to Juan’s for breakfast. Pitufo with tomato and olive oil plus a cup of his finest sombra coffee (cafe con leche is a bit too strong for me I like baby coffee!).

Started a new book. A complete change for me. It’s an autobiography called ‘The Girl with the Dancing Horse’ by Charlotte Dujardin. Apparently she won gold in dressage in the 2012 Olympics. Considering I’ve never been on a horse nor watched horse events I’m finding her story fascinating! Who knew that once a horse’s mane is plaited, it’s then rolled up and stitched in place so it holds firm should the horse shake its head?

Hope Monday is good to us all. I will read all the posts when I’m down in Juan’s! Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Nannytopsy Mon 24-Aug-20 10:07:52

My phone won’t do strike through but computer will.

Lucy127 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:16:00

Morning all from sunny Shropshire Hills.
Sun is making its way round the hill and will soon be full on us until it sets. So lucky.

Have had loads of mixed weather so it’s extra great to see blue skies and sun.

Today we travel to pick our Golden Retriever puppy. How hard that will be. Grandchildren have no idea and won’t until we bring her home on 1st October. Great times ahead and a lot of hard work. If you can recommend a good dog training book or dvd please let me know. Any good tips are welcome.

Hope you have a good day. For those with struggles I wish you every success in overcoming. All the very best.

EllanVannin Mon 24-Aug-20 10:30:42

Good Morning All x
Sun and cloud intermittently but brighter than yesterday when I had to put the light on at 8pm ! Winter draws on grin

An hour of jangling in Oz this morning, 8am-9pm, caught up with everything. Always a good start to the day.

I'll give D here a ring later to see how they all got on in Durham over the weekend. I have an acquaintance on the crime forum, who I've known for over 8 years and who lives near to where Ruby-Lou is, she will be meeting up with D on the next visit there, so that'll be nice for them both I'm sure.

Not a lot on the agenda today, don't need any shopping and todays meal is organised----same as yesterday grin
Tidying up must be first and foremost, then if the cats stay out I can get some hoovering done. Must see what prescriptions I have to order too.

So glad that a diagnosis can now be made GrandMattie, it's always worrying regardless of age, but things can only improve now and once he's home and medicated he'll be fine.

Good to learn that you're on the mend again Marydoll but you really must take it easy---now and again smile it gives the heart chance to heal.

This time next week you won't have to worry about hating Monday Gillybob, a long weekend. Last one of the year sad
Considering that life has been topsy-turvy this year it's flown by---strange.

Must get showered and dressed now before the day's gone so take care everyone and stay safe. xx Have a good day.

GrannyGravy13 Mon 24-Aug-20 10:34:12

Urnstongran I spent many Sunday/Saturday mornings 5am start plaiting horses manes and tails along with varnishing hooves, loved every minute though I do not think I shall be repeating it any time soon. We have recently sold our remaining horse as DD is too busy with GC, our five year old GS is nagging for a pint as he is already a good little jockey.

Urmstongran Mon 24-Aug-20 10:43:18

I bet you’d love the book GG13!
I imagine your grandson is nagging for a pony as he’s a tad underage for the pub!
?

Grandmabatty Mon 24-Aug-20 10:48:25

lucy my first ever dog was a golden retriever and I loved her wholeheartedly. We had her for 16 years and she was a joy. Puppy stage involved lots of chewing. She needed lots of exercise but have me so much love. Her party piece was, when visitors arrived, she would run off and find something to present to them, thus the retriever part of her name. Usually underwear! ☺

GrannySomerset Mon 24-Aug-20 10:50:20

Not a lot on the horizon today apart from the inevitable washing. Yesterday’s visit from young relatives was a joy and we did appreciate their taking the trouble to come to see us. They celebrate their first wedding anniversary today (we didn’t get to the wedding - too much for DH) and seem very happy and together despite one being a third year medical student and the other flogging through accountancy exams. They will have earned their future.

As the weather changes it seems obvious that any form of social life will become much harder and I can see an autumn of coffee and tea invitations becoming the norm. Must resurrect my baking skills!

Gwenisgreat1 Mon 24-Aug-20 11:25:14

Good Morning all from SUNNY Harrogate!! Think it's out good day for this week!! Had DGS yesterday. He's such a cute little boy, Down Syndrome and all. He had a Canary fit when I wouldn't let him go walking the dog with DH. The route they go he wouldn't be able to handle. It was bribery with an ice lolly that eased it. He then emptied the lego bricks over the floor, to build them up, counting all them. I couldn't stop laughing when he gets to two-ty, and two-ty-one!

Hope everyone is feeling well