Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Thursday

(86 Posts)
12Michael Thu 15-Oct-20 06:24:39

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and dry outside this morning in Brackley .
Today , usual bus trips out ,and then return to watch the Giro stage .
Tried to sort out frost free freezer yesterday, hoping I have resolved the water problem.
Take Care ,
Mick

LauraNorder Thu 15-Oct-20 08:15:41

Good morning Mick and all from dry, cool and wind free Anglesey. Builders already have the big mixer going, hoping it’ll all be finished by the end of the month, we’ve been living like moles since July.
Happy Anniversary grandMattie, enjoy your meal out.
Glad you lips are getting better Scentia keep smiling.
GrannyGravy, I know what you mean about being nervous of things we enjoyed so much before the lurking lurgy came along.
Lovely stories from the farm Sheepandcattle. We had some balwen sheep years ago when we ventured in to the good life for a while.
Hope your daughter will be okay Beauregard, poor teachers are having to be brave.
Hope everything will be fine for you dragonfly, as if it’s not tough enough.
Wishing you all a pleasant day.

Grammaretto Thu 15-Oct-20 08:17:20

Good morning all from the hospital carpark in Edinburgh.
I have to wait until I hear from DH if he is to be kept in or let out. It is a small procedure but with all the extra covid worries it isn't easy. I brought a flask and sandwiches but hope I don't need the loo!
Happy anniversary grandMatte and enjoy your family meal.
That was a turnaround Dragonfly I thought you were being let off.
It isn't raining so that's a good thing to report.

aggie Thu 15-Oct-20 08:21:14

Good Morning all, it is lovely and bright here , maybe because I’m a bit late getting up !
Our bowls club hasn’t started this year , our hall is being used for overflow from the Primary School, so out of bounds for everyone else
The hairdresser is coming this afternoon to give me a tidy up , I missed her last visit due to a very painful earache, so I’m overdue for shearing . So glad she can fit me in before she is closed for four weeks .
My eldest GS is part time in the kitchen of the local Gastro Pub so he is out of a job from Friday too , more time for his studies ???

Annapops Thu 15-Oct-20 08:23:06

Good morning all from Melrose today. We did get away yesterday to our lovely snug cottage in the borders. We feel so fortunate to be here having our last break for some considerable time. Yesterday we visited Abbotsford, the home of Walter Scott. What beautiful gardens they were. Autumn is truly one of my favourite months, especially on days when a little sun peeks through too. The colours in nature are so spectacular.

A big thank you for all your congratulations regarding GD1 who will embark on her Royal Ballet journey in January. I'm sure I'll keep you informed, they'll be no stopping me. She's only eight years old and witnessing how hard she worked during lockdown on her dancing and gymnastics displayed such dedication for such a young child.

A 5 mile walk today, the weather should be dry and we're sure to enjoy some wonderful scenery.

Have the best day you can today and I'm looking forward to reading about all your exploits when we get back to the cottage later. Stay safe.

Annapops Thu 15-Oct-20 08:25:57

Happy Anniversary GMattie. Have a wonderful day.

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 08:26:59

Good morning all from a cold Glasgow. My good friend Alexa tells me, it's -1° outside.❄️

Due to the rain yesterday, I never got into the garden, hopefully today.
The plan is to clear the raised beds and plant shallots and onions. Nothing ever goes to plan, so we shall see. I'm easily sidetracked!?
Grandmattie, snap! it was our 43rd wedding anniversary a few weeks ago. I can't believe DH has lasted that long. That man is indeed a saint ?!!

Welcome to all the newcomers, I have lost track over the last few days, but it's good to see new members posting on *Mick's lovely thread.
sheepandcattle, you definitely have a lot to keep you busy.
The farmer ? beside us, is up and out a the crack of dawn, come hail or shine. The very early morning starts and working outside in the cold does not appeal to me at all!!?

The macaroons were a great success yesterday, however I'm still trying to remove the coconut from my teeth!? I may have been somewhat greedy over indulged.
I have been asked for my Mars Bar recipe, which I will post later from my PC. Due to my lack of dexterity, I find typing on my tablet difficult.
Unfortunately it is highly calorific too!
These are recipes from when I was newly married. A little does you know harm.
Life is pretty awful for us all at the moment, little treats help.
My neighbours of course will benefit too!?

The third Doghouse member has been released from incarceration this morning. Just one to go.

Finger crossed for those posters and family members awaiting Covid test results, a worrying time. N Sturgeon's update today is not something I'm looking forward to.?

Wishing everyone, a very pleasant day, what ever your plans.

Jaxjacky Thu 15-Oct-20 08:29:40

Good morning Mick and all from a clear S Hants. Happy Anniversary GM enjoy your day and meal. Hi to all new posters, what interesting lives people lead, lovely to read.
Company visit this morning to price up fitting our new kitchen ?they offer a good price and can do it relatively soon. I’ve promised myself a new greenhouse, but not until I’ve cleared the garden spot for it, so I’ll start pm today.
Have a calming day today all.

Taichinan Thu 15-Oct-20 08:31:02

Good morning Mick and all who follow. I hope you managed to sort the problem with your fridge/freezer successfully. Time will tell, no doubt. It's grey here on the Angus coast, but I hope it's going to be bright grey! Yesterday afternoon was glorious and I sat on the bench for a while by the pond, watching the fish and soaking up the vitamin D. Happy anniversary Grandmattie and enjoy your meal out. Beauregard sorry your daughter is quarantined. It does make it feel so real, doesn't it, when it comes so close to home. I'm just coming to the end of two weeks after the DD of one of my tai chi ladies tested positive. We are all 60+ (and the rest!) so felt I had to cancel classes for two weeks. Can't wait to re-start next Wednesday evening! Sheepandcattle - welcome. I missed your arrival, so now looking forward to tales of derring do down on the farm. Where is it, by the way? Glad to hear your treatment is re-starting Dragonfly ?. I have no perticular plans for today, but a friend brought me a couple of plants of "different" fuschias to pot up for the patio so I shall have to get on with that. Have a good day everyone and I hope the sun shines where you are. ???

Urmstongran Thu 15-Oct-20 08:32:40

Good morning everyone from Malaga where it’s already sunny ?

I didn’t post yesterday. We had some very sad news about our next door neighbour here. His wife telephoned me and told me he has been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. He is such a lovely chap. They won’t be back out here again now & have decided to put their apartment on the market next week.

Hey ho. You never know the day do you? It’s the end of an era. They bought their place before us. We all had some great times together.

Hope Thursday is kind to us all. I shall sit with my second cuppa and read all your posts from today & yesterday. Keep safe everyone that’s the main thing. x

Nortsat Thu 15-Oct-20 08:35:37

Good morning Mick and the GM team from a bright east London.

I have work to finish today and then a bit of housework, I think. The young woman who cuts my hair is coming on Saturday morning... it’s a really necessary visit.
We are shielding now ... although there hasn’t been any NHS letter ... we feel for us, it’s the right approach.

GrandMattie happy anniversary. ?Have a lovely dinner this evening.
Sheepandcattle I too very much enjoyed hearing about your plans and activities on the farm.
Lockdown 2 good morning.
Thinking of Bluesapphire and gilly and all facing challenges today. Have a good day, everyone. ?

GrannySomerset Thu 15-Oct-20 08:36:37

Hairdresser coming to tidy up DH later this morning so I need to get on with sorting him out. I have a BP check at the surgery this afternoon and expect too high readings as when I am under pressure it always shows. I expect a week of taking readings three times a day is coming up.

Beautiful morning so plan to fit in some garden tidying and of course there is always the inevitable ironing .......

Dwmxwg Thu 15-Oct-20 08:36:45

Good morning
Another newbie who has been quietly enjoying this thread for some weeks. Thank you MaryDoll for the invite to join in.
We are in North Surrey (or near Heathrow as my DH says),where the sun is shining.
Our plans to to take my parents to lunch have been scuppered as youngest DGS2 sent home to self isolate. As we do the childcare for my single parent DD he is with us, DGS1 on his way to school with grandad is not amused.
So a day of home schooling which involves reading and sums which have a Star Wars and Hot Wheels theme to make it fun.
Apologies for my name - seemed like a good idea at the time!

Marydoll Thu 15-Oct-20 08:40:17

Nortsat, it's Lockdown1 now!

Dwmxwg, welcome! ?

GrannyOwl5 Thu 15-Oct-20 08:40:53

Good morning everyone from a grey and damp north Kent. Not been out yet, but feels a bit cooler.
Off out shortly for a manicure; it’s well run with strict precautions in place with only one customer and manicurist in the salon at a time, so always feel safe.
Having our bathroom re-done next month so have been checking out colour schemes and tiling patterns on line, but will need to visit our local tiling shop at some point - sooner rather than later.
Welcome to all the newbies - love the tales from the farm, Sheepandcattle . Happy anniversary GrandMattie and enjoy your meal. Wishing everyone a pleasant and safe day.

Nortsat Thu 15-Oct-20 08:44:32

Forgot two things ...
Dragonfly it’s good to hear there’s some movement in your treatment plan. ?
Welcome to new posters ?

harrigran Thu 15-Oct-20 08:52:28

Good morning from a sunny NE after heavy overnight rain.
Slept the night through which was a bonus.
Had a most enjoyable lunch yesterday and the twenty year old Champagne was like nectar.
Happy anniversary grandMattie.
Talking of reaching Ruby and Golden anniversaries, DH's friend has just celebrated his 70th wedding anniversary last week.
It is my sister's birthday today so I will visit and place her gift on the doorstep and retreat up the drive.
Take care.

Anniebach Thu 15-Oct-20 08:52:48

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Taichinan Thu 15-Oct-20 08:54:38

Welcome dwmxwg. I have a feeling that name will become shortened in its use in very short order! Enjoy your home schooling today. So sorry Urmston for your news.

grannysyb Thu 15-Oct-20 08:57:17

Bright and chilly here. Sitting in carpark before upholstery starts at 9.30. I have to get here early as the community centre is next door to a GP practice with a shared carpark. Happy anniversary to those celebrating. While I'm sitting here I have to struggle through more pages of my book group book, 469 pages! We will be zooming next Monday, I wonder how many will have finished it! Hope everyone has a good day.

Grandmafrench Thu 15-Oct-20 09:05:54

Good Morning everyone from sunny, blue and windy S of France.

Hope that you got some proper service for your DH after all that nonsense, Ann678. Posts like yours make me sad - but I bet you’re not the only one having to battle extra hard at the moment.

Morning imaginethis, hope you will keep posting on this lovely thread. Not heard of your breeds of sheep, sheepandcattle - except for the Lleyn. The Z breed - dare not refer to your post for the name again or I’ll lose this one - seem to have it all, good colour and a lovely character reference! We had one very naughty little Soay sheep who was the same dark brown colour. Coco was her name and given to us by an English farmer in France, due to her constantly escaping and causing him unnecessary work. All our sheep had names but we always had less than 30. Sounds like you are very fond of yours - they are certainly characters!

I reckon Grannyowl and Ellan should collaborate on a Living with Squirrels book. They do make me laugh. We had nut trees when we lived in Northern France but never ever saw a squirrel anywhere - maybe something to do with the fact that anything that moves amongst God’s little creatures is likely to get shot by the mindless idiots (“hunters”) who take over the countryside rendering it unsafe for far too many months in this country.

Yesterday got a bit out of hand. Started sorting photographs and frames, moved onto shelf clearing and cleaning the study and then decided to decorate, so today’s the day. At this rate we will never finish what we started, but must try harder.

Someone on this thread mentioned frozen turkeys being promoted by the supermarket delivery driver ? Made me think of C........ coming ever nearer. Can’t say I am much of a turkey fan now. It was different in years gone by, especially if there was a huge gang for lunch on the 25th. I did do the full C lunch for 15 one year, with two big tables. It was fabulous but Blimey, where did I get the energy? And I worked full-time. Not sure what we’ll have this year, but the meat always comes from a butcher and not the supermarket since the fateful season when we picked up a turkey a couple of days before C, went to wash it and prepare it on C Day (we stick to our meal on the 25th and not on the evening of the 24th as is tradition in France). A part of the bird was green! Thankfully we had a large leg of lamb on standby, but really not what we had planned. We were fortunately able to march into the supermarket the following day (one day holiday here). We were refunded but the Manager never said anything which approached an apology. Shops in this country don’t ever apologise for anything. So, from then on, always the butcher for anything special - they seem to care more about their reputation.

Only problem with a butcher is that he asks how many it’s for and you have to lie! If not and there’s just two of you, you will be offered a bird which in a poor light could pass for a pigeon! No one here looks at leftovers after their celebratory meal, a large bird being lifted in and out of the fridge for cold cuts, sandwiches, curries etc., When there’s just the 2 of us, we usually say 6.

In the UK we always ordered a lovely Norfolk turkey from our local butcher. Certainly not cheap but delicious. A few days ago I was looking at the price of festive food in my British magazine. I almost fell over when I saw that Waitrose are now selling turkey crowns for £65. That would buy 2 or sometimes 3 good quality 3 course meals with wine here. I’ve obviously lost touch completely with how costs have increased in the UK

Well, our evening chat with our President resulted in his confirming night time lockdowns of businesses, shops, restaurants, cafes, entertainment in many major cities, including southern ones like Montpellier, Marseille, Toulouse and Aix. The second wave is upon us, apparently. We shall continue taking care and trying to keep upright on our surfboards then, to ensure that “it” doesn’t flatten us. Nothing for it but to keep on going, I suppose.

Take care everyone and - remember.....you’re British!! A French friend said that to me the other day when I was moaning. It did make me laugh, but I don’t mind feeling like a stereotype if it means that I can keep going and not get defeated. I’m sure that we can do this ??

Hugs as always from French France ??

Grandmafrench Thu 15-Oct-20 09:07:41

And Mattie wishing you both a very Happy Anniversary! ??

Grandmafrench Thu 15-Oct-20 09:14:03

So sorry, Urms. Yet another reason for us all to seize the day. Keep safe, please.

Grandmabatty Thu 15-Oct-20 09:23:35

Good morning All. It's chilly in Polmont this morning. I've dropped off dgs at his granddad's for the day and I've just devoured a plate of porridge with blueberries and honey. This scot doesn't do porridge with salt! The dishwasher is purring away in the corner. It's the closest I'll get now to a pet unless I buy one of the robot hoovers. ? I have, yet again, no plans for today. I might go into the summer house and put the garden furniture away as it's a dry day. I'm a bit fed up this morning but I have no particular reason to be so. A coffee beckons then we'll see. Welcome to all the new posters from a fairly new poster. Have a good day all.

Gelisajams Thu 15-Oct-20 09:23:59

Good morning from Morecambe Bay. We are just about to go for a walk, delayed because it started to rain. We are still deliberating where to go this weekend. It’s now between the Lakes or Scarborough. If we deliberate much longer we’ll be in lockdown and not got anywhere! Will take someMarydoll macaroons with us when we go.
Wishing Mr and Mrs Mattie a Happy Anniversary
Take care and stay safe everyone ?

dragonfly46 Thu 15-Oct-20 09:24:52

Sorry to hear your news Urmston you never know what is round the corner. I remember when one of our group of 5 from uni was diagnosed. It was indeed the end of an era. flowers