Gransnet forums

Chat

Harry laying a wreath.

(214 Posts)
Namsnanny Mon 09-Nov-20 10:57:47

I read he asked for a representative to lay a wreath at the Cenotaph, but courtiers refused, as he is no longer a representative of the RF.
It was said the Queen wasn't informed.

I do feel sorry for him. Even though he must have given the choice he made considerable thought beforehand.

Does anyone know if perhaps he made a symbolic 'wreath laying' on line?

Obviously thats about all he could do given Coronavirus and his new life!

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Nov-20 12:06:12

Quite a long article here for anyone interested. Tells you about the photographer Lee Morgan who took the photos.

distincttoday.net/2020/11/09/fashion-and-celebrity-snapper-behind-harry-and-meghans-la-cemetery-photoshoot/

merlotgran Mon 09-Nov-20 12:09:39

Just another trashy opportunity to keep themselves in the celebrity limelight.

Harry seems to have lost his sense of dignity.

Anniebach Mon 09-Nov-20 12:10:36

They are not HRH, and disabled servicemen are included in
the ceremony .

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:13:13

I thought the same as you eazybee.

Ellianne Mon 09-Nov-20 12:13:32

Thanks NotSpaghetti.
Hmmm that guy's CV and website!

NotSpaghetti Mon 09-Nov-20 12:16:12

I didn't look at his website Ellianne but it's always interesting to see who chooses particular photographers I think.

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:17:25

Thanks for the link NotSpaghetti; now I'm even more disgusted.

I hope come the review that regardless of what H&M want, they're not given the opportunity to once again become working royals and represent the RF.

Trisha57 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:21:50

He looks like a lost soul to me........I really can't see anything good coming out of all this.........sad. And yes, I know he made his choice, as have all of us when it comes down to it, but that doesn't stop me feeling sad that he seems to have been manipulated. Just my opinion.

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:30:15

I agree Trisha it is very sad that he's been manipulated for him, and his family. It's bad enough when this causes estrangement in a family and so much harder when it's in the glare of publicity.

Ellianne Mon 09-Nov-20 12:35:10

so much harder when it's in the glare of publicity
Yes, his wife is the one perpetuating that.

Smileless2012 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:37:08

Yes she is.

Iam64 Mon 09-Nov-20 12:37:58

He served for ten years and has been heard to say they were the happiest years of his life. In service is when he first began to dream of leaving the RF

His work with Invect games and his commitment to his role with the Royal Marines shouldn't be dismissed as publicity seeking. I wondered yesterday how he would commemorate Remembrance Sunday. I'm pleased he had the opportunity to do so.

Lucca - always good to have someone with similar thoughts on these let's bash Harry threads.

Anniebach Mon 09-Nov-20 12:41:45

He laid Flowers for Australia and Canada, bugger the U.K.

merlotgran Mon 09-Nov-20 12:43:38

Where has anybody dismissed Harry's work with the Invictus Games as publicity seeking?

When I asked upthread if there were any remembrance services/parades on the same day I was wondering why they didn't just attend a local one rather than set up a photo opportunity.

I find attention seeking behaviour distasteful on this occasion.

Anniebach Mon 09-Nov-20 12:49:07

Pity he didn’t lay flowers for Napal and India, when he was in the army he had his own personal guard , Gurkhas

Ellianne Mon 09-Nov-20 12:51:05

let's bash Harry threads
You're wrong there Iam64, if you read carefully this is not such a thread.

Anniebach Mon 09-Nov-20 12:53:44

Criticising hypocrisy is not ‘bashing’ .

He certainly recovered from the terror he experienced when a
camera clicked.

Shrub Mon 09-Nov-20 12:57:52

Veteran’s Day in the USA is a Federal holiday on 11th Nov.

PollyDolly Mon 09-Nov-20 13:01:16

H made his bed.......he must lay on it! He was manipulated by M from the outset! There seems to be nothing that he can do alone without her hanging onto him! IMO he had no place in the Remembrance Service in London yesterday either by representative or in person.
The dynamic between William & Kate and that between Harry & Megan is completely different; makes you wonder just how insecure Megan must be.

Lollin Mon 09-Nov-20 13:02:22

Peace on earth confused

henetha Mon 09-Nov-20 13:17:22

He's made his choice. Only time will tell if it was the right one. I only know that I felt sad that he wasn't laying a wreath at the ceremony in London yesterday. I really missed him.

Lucca Mon 09-Nov-20 13:23:14

Ok so what would have been the right thing ? Leave his wife at home ? Then she would have been criticised for ignoring the occasion ? Not had a photo taken ? Then people would have shouted about him not doing anything.

As for this thread not being about harry bashing....everything has been dragged up again about him being manipulated etc etc. Any minute now there’ll be a go at Diana.

Grumpygran12 Mon 09-Nov-20 13:24:25

I never cease to be amazes by the informed insider knowledge of the Sussex's marriage, relationship,reasons for actions etc displayed predictably by some (thankfully not all) on these threads. Whenever there is an appearance or mention of Harry/ Meghan in the media it's obvious what the inevitable responses will be here.
Keeps the internet busy I suppose and offers a distraction from all the bad news.

Chardy Mon 09-Nov-20 13:31:51

How is this not an H&M bashing thread when people say how she is manipulating him? We don't know that.

Don't know if anyone saw Jennie Bond talking about the Diana Panorama interview. I was struck by the parallels between how she was treated when they got engaged, and MM. It may be the Queen, it may be the courtiers, but the RF don't seem to be a very welcoming bunch. It's 2020, not 1920

Ellianne Mon 09-Nov-20 13:38:47

What I take away from this particular thread today, and the GNs who have posted, is a general feeling of sadness. I really don't know what the right thing should have been, maybe just one public photo of Harry alone in the cemetery, not a half an album with Meghan in them.