Gransnet forums

Chat

Childcare

(66 Posts)
Edge26 Tue 05-Jan-21 18:31:25

I supported my son, DIL and DGS's aged 3 and 6 months during last lockdown and still saw them although I was'nt in their bubble as my partner lives with me so i probably broke some rules although i did'nt mix with any one else and i am retired. My DGS started Nursery yesterday but DIL informed me this morning that nursery is being shut down the same as Primary schools. We had agreed childcare when my DIL goes back to work in a fortnight. Because of this new variant of Covid and the stay at home policy I suggested to my DIL that we keep to the rule and when she goes back to work then we start the childcare and said we can facetime etc. She really took the hump and basically said what's the difference between last lockdown and this one and said for me not to contact her and DGS again. I was so upset, I have been there for them all over the years. My son will probably agree with her, I'm surprised he has'nt got on the phone to me to have a go. My son and I have been having problems since last July as he was'nt happy when i asked him if myself and my partner could have time to ourselves and he suggested that my partner was the instigator and they had words and are now not speaking and now have been having anxiety problems Should I have done things differently. Any words of advice would be most welcome.

ElaineI Wed 13-Jan-21 13:57:04

I'm not sure what your DiL is objecting to. If DGS has only just started nursery and it has closed and you are starting childcare in 2 weeks why can't she look after him for another 2 weeks like she was doing? Childcare is hard work and I think sometimes our children don't appreciate that people slow down a bit as they get older. DH has a nap after lunch and 2 DGC don't, currently 1 does normally but sometimes not so who is the one who has to look after them I wonder! We do our best but have lots of suggestions "you could do this and this and that!"

GreenGran78 Wed 13-Jan-21 14:35:56

I certainly wouldn’t have agreed to mind a toddler and a baby, and my family wouldn’t have dreamed of asking me to. At your age it isn’t fair to you or the children, and your health is likely to suffer from the strain, without the added problems that Covid brings.
I do ‘t Know if your son’s father is alive, but there certainly seems to be some animosity towards your partner, for whatever reason. I know that you want to continue to see the children, but allowing this ‘entitled’ couple to tell you how to live your life is not a good idea, and is bound to end in tears.
If they had any thought for your welfare they would sort out their own childcare arrangements, and allow you to do the occasional bit of childminding on your own terms. Why did they have a second child and take it for granted that you would carry the load? You should be enjoying your retirement, not tuning yourselves ragged after small children.

4allweknow Wed 13-Jan-21 14:37:12

So you are going to still carry on with childcare but not for another 2 weeks when DIL returns to work. Why is everyone upset?

buylocal Wed 13-Jan-21 15:28:29

The problems began when the pattern of both parents working full time began. Parents no longer expect to bring up their own children. The current status quo is awful for children, parents and grandparents. Bringing up children is grossly undervalued as a way of spending time. Having said that we are where we are. I look after my grandchildren more than I would ideally, because I love them and am determined they should not be in daycare until they are at least 2 and a half. I do this for me (my peace of mind) and for the emotional health of my grandchildren. I don't do it for gratitude from my S or DIL - although I have to say they are appreciative.

Tweedle24 Wed 13-Jan-21 16:09:18

I hate to criticise someone else’s son and daughter-in-law but, it is not you who should have done things differently. They sounds either thoughtless or selfish or both.

My daughter has looked after her own grandchildren but her daughter will not now allow this as it is putting my daughter, her mum, at risk. Both my daughter and her partner have medical problems which make them vulnerable. Of course they are all missing each other but, they are looking after each other’s welfare and that is how it should be.

TillyWhiz Wed 13-Jan-21 16:35:24

I think there's such a panic going on at the moment with parents juggling work and childcare and the restrictions making it harder. But we mustn't be made to feel guilty. I too have had a bit of pressure in the last week. I'm living alone but I do have volunteering and I was left with the feeling that that wasn't important. I've made it clear it is and we have come to a compromise. I still have the guilt feeling but know it will all pan out because I've had this regularly in the last 10 years!!

Esspee Wed 13-Jan-21 17:23:41

4allweknow. You must have missed the bit about the OP having to ask her son if she and her partner could have some time off, the son then abusing both the OP and her partner whom he now doesn’t speak to.
The OP doesn’t want to continue this abusive arrangement. It is causing anxiety and risks her relationship with her partner.
Despite being assured that she is not being unreasonable in her concerns she has again caved in to the selfish demands of her son and daughter in law.
That is why everyone is upset.

Jennyluck Wed 13-Jan-21 17:49:28

SylviaPlathssister Totally agree with your post.

59viper Wed 13-Jan-21 20:01:33

Absolutely spot on. There is only one side at fault here and it's not yours.

59viper Wed 13-Jan-21 20:06:42

Oh dear then you and your relationship are beyond help. Your son needs to grow up and fast.

Saetana Wed 13-Jan-21 23:12:00

Tell your son and DIL to go forth and multipy - after treating you so badly why on earth would you want to help them? Its not even allowed unless your two households are in a support bubble, which it appears you are not. If people choose to have children then they should sort out childcare without having to rely on elderly parents to provide it. Your partner should be your first priority - not proving childcare for ungrateful adult children, in a situation when this is not a good idea anyway!

Hetty58 Wed 13-Jan-21 23:20:22

What a selfish son and DIL. They should be concerned for your safety, above all else!

Edge26 Wed 13-Jan-21 23:29:58

Thank you all for your kind and truthful replies. It has made me look at things in a different light, as sometimes you start to doubt yourself and think maybe I'm in the wrong. x

welbeck Thu 14-Jan-21 00:16:12

MamaB247

If your DIL and son have a child under 2 they can form a bubble with you anyway. They couldn't in the first lockdown.

my reading is that the child has to be under one year old, on the date 2nd Dec 2020.

Toadinthehole Thu 14-Jan-21 08:46:49

You’re not wrong Edge. As someone up thread said, being a mum and homemaker should be classed as a job. Instead it is undervalued to the point people who would like to stay at home, ( and I’ve known plenty of them), can’t because they can’t afford to. Of course, there’s the other types who have children, and still want their careers. Completely baffles me, but that’s another thread! It sounds like your DIL is in the latter group...but of course, you care about your grandchildren and want what’s best, even if their mother appears not to. Please look after yourself. We don’t really have much choice at the moment ?