Gransnet forums

Chat

Is this allowable do you think ?

(134 Posts)
NanKate Sat 09-Jan-21 13:54:46

About 4 miles from our home is NT Cliveden which has a massive estate to walk round with an Oriental, Long, Rose Gardens, plus woods to explore.

We have been going regularly for our exercise and the tickets have to be bought online and numbers are regulated. They also have a kiosk for take away coffee and snacks.

We are due to go again this coming week. We now have our coffee and biscuits brought from home in the car on arrival to avoid going to the kiosk.

DH thinks the police could say we have driven too far and are having a mini picnic. If they allowed in only those folks who live nearby, they would have virtually no one visiting as it is in countryside.

It’s a toss up whether we go or not.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 16:24:19

My point exactly! I could walk to the NT place..and in fact sometimes do but it would take me 40 minutes as it is all uphill! But I can drive in 10.

If only the guidelines had been clear & simply stipulated:
"Daily exercise can only be taken within x miles of your home. You may either walk , cycle or drive to an open space as long as it is within the mileage limit"

We would all know what to do safely and legally...and it would help the police to manage it!

Carenza123 Sat 09-Jan-21 16:33:54

We live roughly 9 miles away from Calke Abbey (National Trust) in Derbyshire, but it has been in the news recently that police have been vigilant in turning NT members and others at the entrance away, and issuing fines because of covid rules.

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Jan-21 16:38:16

I’m not looking at government guidance, rather heeding the NHS plea to stay home.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 16:38:54

Is that even if visitors arrive on foot Carenza?

lemongrove Sat 09-Jan-21 16:42:25

EllanVannin

Nobody should even be leaving the house except for chemists or hospital appointments.

This is incorrect information EV
Unless it’s simply your own rules of course.
We can legally visit anything that is open for us....including
Supermarkets, garden centres, dentists, chiropodists and all medical reasons plus exercise out of doors.

It makes sense to do a short drive to a fairly secluded green space for the exercise rather than just walks from the door where it’s busy.We need green spaces for our physical and mental health.I think sometimes the police are exceeding their powers ( Derbyshire!)
There are likely to be police or Covid wardens at beauty spots
And checking how far you have come, but NT places are probably not the same.If you have checked with Cliveden that visitors are welcome Nan then I can’t see a reason not to go and exercise there.I was trying to get a ‘well he would say that
Wouldn’t he?’ Into this conversation, but failed.?

lemongrove Sat 09-Jan-21 16:43:29

Derbyshire Police are being overly Draconian.....don’t they have much crime around there?

lemongrove Sat 09-Jan-21 16:44:17

Chewbacca

^No it's not permissable at the moment. All walks/exercise must start and end at home^

Who says HelenLouise? Could you direct me to where this is detailed in any government issued edict? This is directly from YouGov website and was updated on 04.01.2021:

Exercise with your household (or support bubble) or one other person, this should be limited to once per day, and you should not travel outside your local area.

What is the definition of local?

This is all I have been able to find as well.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 16:44:34

I think the NHS plea to stay at home does not mean we should all become unhealthy by not moving. Exercise and being in the fresh air has huge benefits.

We should not be going out to meet people, to overcrowd places or sit and chat on benches etc. It is permissable to go for an exercise walk.

cornishpatsy Sat 09-Jan-21 16:45:54

I did'nt use my car for a couple of weeks before Christmas and the battery was flat when I came to use it for shopping so now I drive a couple of miles to where I walk to keep the battery charged.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 16:46:29

Calle Abbey.

Police checked that those who arrived were local to the area, so on foot from their homes was ok.

Those who travelled from a distance were fined. As were those who travelled, parked elsewhere and then pretended they were local!

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 16:46:53

Calke.

lemsip Sat 09-Jan-21 16:51:00

I think you are quite aware it is NOT allowed!

You are only allowed out for essential shopping, so not every day...a short walk for exercise is allowed......NOT a leisurely walk lasting ages.

JenniferEccles Sat 09-Jan-21 16:53:15

Lots of people on here believe it’s not permissible to drive short distances to exercise, but if that’s true, wouldn’t the government have ordered National Trust properties to close, or wouldn’t they have decided themselves not to keep their grounds open?

As I said earlier the vast majority of them can only be reached by car.

I feel people are overthinking all this exercise issue.

Peasblossom Sat 09-Jan-21 16:54:26

Those of you who are slating Derbyshire Police, they have had a hell of a job with the numbers travelling to the Peak District from all over the country. Car parks full, parking in village streets. A number of NT and other properties that people travels miles to.

They’re not draconian. Not if you live in Derbyshire and can’t go out because of all the people who want to be in a place where thought nobody else would go. Except hundreds of people though exactly the same thing.

Why do so many people think “”but it’s only me” and not see that lots of only mes make a crowd ?

Jaxjacky Sat 09-Jan-21 16:56:16

PECS I do a short circuit twice in the afternoon, if there’s anyone else around, I cross the road. cornishpasty I just run my car in the drive once a day.

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 16:57:15

Again I say proper clear guidance from the government would have clarified all this. Why can't they issue clear information???

lemongrove Sat 09-Jan-21 17:00:52

JenniferEccles

Lots of people on here believe it’s not permissible to drive short distances to exercise, but if that’s true, wouldn’t the government have ordered National Trust properties to close, or wouldn’t they have decided themselves not to keep their grounds open?

As I said earlier the vast majority of them can only be reached by car.

I feel people are overthinking all this exercise issue.

??Yes.

Greeneyedgirl Sat 09-Jan-21 17:01:12

I agree JenniferEccles, you drive to most, most are open, and numbers are limited because they require booking. I don’t see a problem if it is near to your home.

lemsip I think it is pure conjecture how long a daily walk should be, nowhere is a time limit stipulated.

This is the problem with the guidelines, each person may interpret differently.

lemongrove Sat 09-Jan-21 17:02:30

Peasblossom
Derbyshire Police are re-thinking their strategies apparently.

PollyDolly Sat 09-Jan-21 17:05:05

Hardly essential travel is it? When will people get the message????????

Ellianne Sat 09-Jan-21 17:08:34

We should not be going out to meet people, to overcrowd places or sit and chat on benches etc. It is permissable to go for an exercise walk.
Exactly PECS, even if we have to drive a tiny distance.
I drove to this National Trust managed path today and walked my dogs for over an hour. I met one man and his dog, and a horse rider in the distance.
As I said on a different thread it was preferable to walking to the closer seafront and having contend with joggers, walkers, dogs on leads, pushchairs, wheelchairs etc.

Chewbacca Sat 09-Jan-21 17:10:10

I live in an area that attracts many visitors, both for walking and canal boating. The locals are currently up in arms because a harrier club has decided to hold a running event this weekend through our village. Approximately 50 runners ran through the village, dodging in and out of customers queuing patiently to go into the butchers and bakers, up onto the hills and down into the next village, where they caused the same problems. When a local councillor phoned the harrier club to complain she was told "They're running in single file, 2 metres apart, so it's fine".

PECS Sat 09-Jan-21 17:10:56

Jaxjacky and that is fine and dandy and I often do similar.

However when there is a big, safe , open space available for people to exercise, and that would reduce the number of people in parks or roads, but requires a car drive of 10 minutes it seems counter productive to prevent its use. I personally feel safer in these bigger open spaces than walking locally.

welbeck Sat 09-Jan-21 17:12:33

i heard a scientist give a simple explanation of airborne transmission on the radio. it was quite startling.
if you walk past or near somebody who is smoking, you will smell the smoke. even from a distance, even outdoors. he said what is happening is that you are taking into your lungs the same particles that the smoker lately had deep in their lungs.
and then remember the virus has no smell. or colour.

ExD Sat 09-Jan-21 17:13:00

Do you remember ? (you will if you're old enough)
"Is your journey really necessary?"
If you want to walk that's fine, you go for a walk - not a drive.