Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Wednesday

(72 Posts)
12Michael Wed 14-Apr-21 06:12:53

Good Morning Everyone,
Its light , but with cloud this morning here in Brackley but remains dry as well .
Haircut ,done the hairdresser, came earlier , so was cut before expected time , she visits the residental home I live in , so saved queing to barbers elsewhere.
I got the bus to Bicester ,and headed straight away to the bakery shop with a cafe at back , you had to go into the cafe to order , then go to tables outside , lucky weather was OK .
Track & Trace still continues as well, shopped elsewhere then came home on the bus .
Take Care,
Mick

Grandmabatty Wed 14-Apr-21 07:49:02

Good morning all from Polmont where it's currently sunny and-1°. I can see frost on the cars and the roof opposite. I'm up early for a Wednesday as I've ordered stuff from Argos and had to book a slot so nine o'clock it will be. I have bought outdoor skittles and a sandpit and sand for dgs. He loves being outside and I have a water table for him already so today's expenditure will add to his stash. After that I'll visit mum who has been difficult recently so she may not be up to see me. Then maybe to my friend for coffee and a WhatsApp chat with other friends this afternoon. I'll have a wander round the garden pulling weeds too and I need to wash down the front and back doors as I can see a myriad of wee handprints on them in the bright sunshine. Homemade meatballs and spaghetti for dinner. Have a good day all.

Gelisajams Wed 14-Apr-21 07:54:59

Good morning from a slightly frosty Morecambe Bay. I’m off to Keswick gardening again today. DH will come with me but he’s going off on a long walk. He hasn’t mentioned his sore back so I’m assuming it’s ok.
There does seem to be more of an optimist feel to the early posts. Long may it last. For those whose problems are not going away?
Take care and stay safe everyone ???

Grammaretto Wed 14-Apr-21 07:55:56

Good Morning all from the Scottish Borders where it is 0°C but not a bad day.
I am also relieved Baubles that the surreptitious meet up for a walk with my pal from E Lothian, planned for Friday will be legal. Thanks Nicola do I hear there's an election coming up?
Thanks for the good wishes for our anniversary. I wasn't alone and shared bubbly and fond memories with DD. who is my bubble

A joyous day out grandMattie. I am so glad you were able to share it with those DGC.

Our U3A walking group is to restart very soon. The first one sounds like mountain climbing so I may give that a miss.

Wishing everyone a good day, enjoying your new freedoms.

Pittcity Wed 14-Apr-21 07:56:59

Good morning from sunny, but cold Colchester.
Wrapping up and taking my deckchair on the 5 minute walk into the park for our weekly meetup. It'll be warmer than last week in the sun, so there'll be a few more turn up. We have a coffee and put the world to rights in socially distanced groups of 6.

Big hugs for all x

harrigran Wed 14-Apr-21 08:04:58

Good morning from a sunny NE where we have frost again.
DH has a hospital appointment this afternoon in the next city.
DS's neighbour has been putting the dog in the garden at 7.30 in the morning and only taking it back into the house at 9.30 at night, the dog apparently barks incessantly. DS told her to take the dog inside so they could all have some peace, both DS and DIL work from home and depend on video conferences.
These neighbours are supposedly intelligent people, a solicitor and a doctor but they clearly know nothing about caring for pets.

NannyJan53 Wed 14-Apr-21 08:09:53

Good morning from a bright and sunny Black Country.

Such a lovely day yesterday. We walked into town to choose paint for the kitchen. Then spent most of the afternoon sitting in the garden reading.

Today we are driving over to a cycle shop between Bewdley and Kidderminster. MrJan is donating a bike for a charity. The shop refurbishes them, then donates them to young people with learning disabilities to help them find employment.

Then we shall pay a visit to Bewdley and have a walk by the river, and perhaps a coffee or lunch.

Thinking of NanKate today, hoping it all goes well.

Marydoll Wed 14-Apr-21 08:10:53

Good morning all, its -2°C and as * Kalu* says, foggy.

Wishing Kate, as pleasant as an experience as possible today.
Its lovely to hear how many of you are at last experiencing opportunities to see family and friends. Exciting times.

I'm unsure what I will be doing today, just some footering as usual. I have a fair number of perennial bulbs to plant, but my RA has flared up and the joints on my left hand are painfully swollen, making it difficult to use. I can't understand why, as I have been a good girl. ?
I didn't even attempt the garden yesterday, so got the sewing machine out, to alter some trousers. I gave up on that too, as it wasn't running right and I was unable to strip it down to investigate. ? (You know that I love a challenge!)

We did get another unexpected surprise yesterday.
Many will remember our daughter's wedding, which was cancelled due to the pandemic. The hotel and wedding insurance refused a refund, as Covid was not listed in the terms and conditions.
However, the Govt. stepped in and yesterday we got our initial deposit back minus £50 excess, but additional £100 as an apology! It came out of the blue, as I had given up on our credit card company.

I'm not even going to bore you the pharmacy fiasco yesterday. Only to say, I have never seen such stressed staff and impatient customers. I felt a great deal of sympathy for the staff.

Nicola Sturgeon's news came as a great surprise yesterday. We were alerted by DD, who had noticed the change on the ScotGov website.
Our trip across borders, depending on how well I am, is planned for Tuesday, to Cardwell Bay Garden Centre at Gourock, then a trip up the coast to Saltcoats, to Dollie"s favourite bakery by the sea. Unfortunately, she will be back at school. ?
I'm not building up my hopes, then I won't be disappointed. wink
Gwen, Prestwick, is also on my list. A walk along the prom and a visit to a little boutique, I like, called Emprium.
emporiumboutique.co.uk

Baubles you have unwittingly given Litterpicker another clue as to my location. I wonder if she will pick up on it.
You never know, we all three could bump into each other!?

Sending hugs and best wishes to our missing friends, especially Urmston, Cherry and Bellasnanna.

Have the best day you can and Susan, good luck with the plaits, I never mastered them! #Failed mother!

Alygran Wed 14-Apr-21 08:16:57

Good morning from North Yorkshire where it is another sunny start. We had showers overnight then more frost. It isn’t doing the tender shoots on hydrangeas, roses and the buddleja any good!
I’m going into town this morning as it’s market day and the non food stalls will be back. I may even bump into people I know!
Good to read the levels of excitement about today, it’s been a long time coming.
Hope everyone has a good day. Stay safe.

Grandmajean Wed 14-Apr-21 08:30:21

Good morning from misty Cheshire. Cat to vet for routine vaccination this morning. Hope well organised. DS asked if youngest granddaughter could come here for a walk this morning as she is missing her outings with us. DH will oblige as I have to sort out the cat ! No social life for months and then a clash of appointments !
Thinking of all with worries. Keep hoping to hear about Louis' prognosis.

EkwaNimitee Wed 14-Apr-21 08:30:29

Good morning, Mick and everyone, from another lovely sunny day on the Cumbrian coast.
Yesterday I drove down to Whitehaven, my ex town. I had my hair cut at last! Such a boost to the spirits. I have had my hairdresser for over 40 years and I am tempted to make regular drives down to continue with her but I guess I should research a new one in Carlisle.
I followed with a last nostalgic walk along the wonderful Georgian harbour. I am so sad to have left the town but I am too remote from my family and don’t want them struggling up to deal with me if I have a crisis. Plus there’s little to do for a single older person there and my lovely but very steep garden was beginning to be a struggle. I didn’t realise till I left how concerned my boys were about the possibility of falling in it and no one noticing. They are relieved that I now have a flat one.
I’m currently sitting having a breather and awaiting the arrival of the movers to pack up my stuff.
Glad some of you are getting enjoyable trips out. When I have settled in, I hope to do the same.
The best possible day to you all.

ginny Wed 14-Apr-21 08:34:26

Good Morning. Not sure what the weather is going to do today but I’d like more like yesterday
DH is at golf today so I think I’ll have a nice walk down by the river this morning.
Lovely to hear about people meeting up again .
Hope you all find a ?today.

Grandmajean Wed 14-Apr-21 08:35:48

Marydoll -Saltcoats was a place in which I spent many happy childhood holidays . Always went away during the Fair fortnight - the only time my hard working Dad got paid time off !

Taichinan Wed 14-Apr-21 08:37:36

Good morning all, and an unusually early start (for me) on a perfect sunny Spring day. Not a cloud in the the perfect blue sky at the moment. There's been a heavy frost, but that won't take long to disappear.
So glad to hear all about the happy 'doings' of everyone. Mick I'm sure you look very handsome with the new haircut! And Grandmattie I'm so glad your family time is going well - enjoy your birthday celebrations today, and if there's any of the delightfully gooey chocolate cake left ..........
Glad you enjoyed your time at your holiday retreat Ash and were able to keep hydrated inspire of the plumbing malfunction ?
It's barbecue day here today and the Clan will be arriving sometime between 1 and 2 pm. Not much in the way of prep could be done until today as I needed to know which way the wind would be blowing before trundling the barbecue and firebowl into position. I'm hoping we're going to be able to use the back patio as that's nearest the kitchen. Last time we had to use the area furthest from the house to get out of the wind, so it was a case of "meals on [wheelbarrow] wheels" to transfer the necessary!
And of course we mustn't forget that this is a belated Easter celebration and many eggs have still to be concealed around the garden by the Easter Bunny!
So off I go with a hippity hop. I hope you all have a lovely day and the sun shines (and the wind doesn't blow) for everybody. ☀️???

Nannytopsy Wed 14-Apr-21 08:39:02

Good morning Mick and all his followers. It’s another glorious day in Suffolk but we are off to Essex, to our nearest RHS garden. I have had membership for two years and this is our first garden visit.
I did lots of tidying up and some planting out yesterday and felt very smug. I found my stash of big plastic pots ( I was sure there had to be some!) and split my 3 big hostas into 15 new ones. Thanks to nematodes in previous years there wasn’t one vine weevil !

Lots of lovely excited GNs. Hope you hand has settled a bit today Marydoll.
I hope the day is kind to everyone.

Anniebach Wed 14-Apr-21 08:48:51

Good morning Auntyflo and all x

Gingster Wed 14-Apr-21 08:51:50

Good morning from a beautifully sunny and calm day, here on the Suffolk Coast. Little pooch and I have already had a walk around the garden and a sit on the bench with a cuppa. It doesn’t feel too cold. The sea is calm and tranquil. We do sleep much better here with the sound of the sea .

Yesterday we set to and got some much needed jobs done. DH mowed the lawns and I cleaned windows inside and out. We will start wood staining g the summerhouse today. Perhaps just one side a day and it won’t be too arduous. It’s quite a big area.

We’ve had the garden rabbit proofed while we were in Essex for lockdown but the little tinkers still manage to get in, so we have lots of scrapes and attempted burrows under the fences. They are determined and have eaten our tulips. They dont like daffodils but tulips they love. ??????.

I’m glad you’re all enjoying your days out and meet ups with family and friends . It makes you feel so much better doesn’t it.
????

grandmajet Wed 14-Apr-21 08:53:52

Good morning from another bright day in Nottinghamshire.
It’s good to read of so many people going out, shopping, having a haircut - a generally enjoying themselves. I remember Simmons Park, Ashcombe, we went their on a bus from where we were staying in a B and B in Tavistock in 2019, before the world went weird. It’s quite beautiful. And Sar, can I come round for some cheese and onion pie please!?
Yesterday we met our DD and family at a local swan sanctuary. The bird are all nesting and the geese and swans were fiercely protective of their nests. We witnessed quite a few argy bargy sessions between them. At one point I thought one goose was drowning another, it was quite scary and very loud.
Have a good day everyone.

Gingster Wed 14-Apr-21 08:54:40

X post GG are you off to Hyde Hall? We have been members there for many years and it’s beautiful. You will have a lovely day. Hope the A12 behaves for you. ?

Nannytopsy Wed 14-Apr-21 08:54:54

Good luck with your move Ekwanimitee

Nannytopsy Wed 14-Apr-21 08:55:40

It’s us who are off to Hyde Hall. Excited to be out!

Gingster Wed 14-Apr-21 08:56:09

Sorry not GG I meant nannytopsy . Confused dot com ??

BlueSapphire Wed 14-Apr-21 08:56:43

Good morning everyone from a cloudy Northampton, but it is still quite bright, so it looks as though I'll be able to spend more time outside today.

Did an hour's weeding of one border yesterday - am really glad I got one of those kneelers, as it made it a whole lot easier. Then the cats came out and enjoyed sunbathing for an hour while I read my book. (They are pedigree cats, so need to be supervised outside, not allowed to roam on their own).

Have got a load of washing in, then shall Hoover upstairs and do the bathroom floors, and finish the Sainsbury's order. Another hour of weeding the remaining border this afternoon, and reading in the sun.

Hoping we all find a bit of sunshine ? today.

Nannytopsy Wed 14-Apr-21 08:59:10

Gingster are you anywhere by Dunwich? We are meeting DD and DSIL there on Saturday - they intend to go in the sea. I will look after the dog ?

Ellianne Wed 14-Apr-21 09:02:53

Good morning from the south west. I ordered a cheese ploughmans for lunch yesterday and had to take half of it home there was so much. The 3 other dog walkers had chips with their meal, I was trying to go lighter.
Have a good day everyone.

Ellianne Wed 14-Apr-21 09:03:44

Photo