Gransnet forums

Chat

lets get out and about on Monday

(92 Posts)
infoman Sun 16-May-21 06:37:33

day time
and spend some of the money we have not been able to spend in the last few months.

Liz46 Sun 16-May-21 07:00:13

We are booked into the local pub for a meal with another couple.

Urmstongran Sun 16-May-21 07:08:53

You know you’ll get told soon enough that not everyone has saved money during the pandemic. Why buy new shoes when some people have bare feet etc?

I plan a nice flat white indoors at a local independent coffee shop. A nice change from takeaway coffees!

tanith Sun 16-May-21 07:09:36

I don’t feel the need to go anywhere or spend anything but I’m happy you’re free to do it.

Urmstongran Sun 16-May-21 07:18:55

?

Witzend Sun 16-May-21 07:30:34

Not sure we’ve saved anything, not on shopping, anyway. Given the number of Hermes and Royal Mail deliveries (not just mine either) it’s very likely more than we’d have spent in ‘proper’ shops. Mind you I’ve never enjoyed trawling the shops anyway.

We’ve def. saved on holidays, though.

Nothing planned for Monday, but we do have two meet-up-again lunches planned before the end of the month.?

Rufus2 Sun 16-May-21 07:32:09

I plan a nice flat white indoors

Indeed!; But why buy a nice flat white when some people can't even afford to buy a cup of tea after paying all their household bills.!? hmm

Ellianne Sun 16-May-21 07:36:07

Am I being dense?
We have been allowed to get out and about to spend money in shops for the past few weeks anyway. And as Wizend says, most items were available online. And judging by how busy and booked up tradesmen are people have been spending throughout.
I'm spending extra this week while on holiday because I want treats, that's different.

Urmstongran Sun 16-May-21 07:36:37

??? Rufus! Touché.

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 07:38:36

We're booked for lunch at Cote. I booked it ages ago. So looking forward to perusing a menu and being brought food. A nice glass of wine will be lovely too.
DS is in the restaurant business and I know how hard they try to keep as Covid safe as possible.

Daisymae Sun 16-May-21 07:40:22

Went to a garden centre yesterday. All those people ?!!! Not sure I could cope actually sitting near anyone.........

Aveline Sun 16-May-21 07:43:07

We were out for lunch for the first time a couple of weeks ago and I was taken aback at being in a space with so many other people. It all seemed so loud.

Grammaretto Sun 16-May-21 07:56:06

I want to see your flat white shoes Urmston
Perhaps they are tennis shoes?
Or perhaps deck shoes for a cruise?
I am living vicariously as usual but I am booked to go on a bluebell walk on Monday in Roslin Glen. It is suggested we wear waterproofs and bring walking poles....

MerylStreep Sun 16-May-21 07:57:44

Ellianne
I thought the same. I won’t think about the amount I’ve spent at garden centres, B&Q, my wool shop, 2 new pairs of glasses last year, the dentist
The only difference has been eating and drinking outside the home.

NotAGran55 Sun 16-May-21 08:01:56

We have been eating out since the restrictions allowed , not waiting for tomorrow!

The restaurants have been very creative in their outdoor dining room constructions .

Jaxjacky Sun 16-May-21 08:05:00

We’ll be a short early evening walk to our local pub which has been closed for 6 months. With our designated table we can say hello to people we haven’t seen in that time.

Pittcity Sun 16-May-21 08:05:34

We have kept our big plans until after 21st June

Praying for dryer weather for outdoor gatherings.

Have spent our holiday money on home improvements.

Thoro Sun 16-May-21 08:08:18

My 3 year old grandson has been really missing going to soft play centres.
He’s booked for Thursday when I have him for the day. (I’ve missed having indoor places to take him too!)

M0nica Sun 16-May-21 08:10:26

You know you’ll get told soon enough that not everyone has saved money during the pandemic. Why buy new shoes when some people have bare feet etc?

That sounds virtuous but does it really work like that? If you do not buy the very nice shoes you fancy, you may actually be stripping the shoes off someone because your shoes are no longer made and the shoemaker is out of work.

More broadly, if those of us who can afford it go out and spend, we are putting money in the economy, enabling shops to trade, factories to manufacture, buses and trains to keep running because they have customers which keeps bus drivers, train drivers, shop assistants and factory workers et al to work.

grannysyb Sun 16-May-21 08:14:52

Going back to my sewing class tomorrow, it's at my teacher's house, me and one other person. Going for a meal in town on Tuesday, and have a hospital appointment on Wednesday. Hope we can continue with a slightly more normal life.

GrannyGravy13 Sun 16-May-21 08:20:43

Booked for late lunch on Wednesday (after school) with DH, DD and GC to a very nice local restaurant in walking distance. Yippee!

Also need to go shopping for a few bits (make-up and clothes).

Chardy Sun 16-May-21 08:26:41

Interesting thread. I haven't any plans to do anything different from last Monday or the 60 Mondays before.

Gwyneth Sun 16-May-21 08:34:17

Well I’ll be going to have my second vaccination so will be a ride on the train for me!

JenniferEccles Sun 16-May-21 08:34:21

I agree! We should particularly support the hospitality industry now they are allowed to open indoors. I read that one in ten of them haven’t survived, so those which remain desperately need our support.

We have already booked a table for a restaurant meal next week with some of our family, and I will be meeting friends for lunch indoors (in the warm and dry !) soon too.

We are thinking about booking a hotel in Devon in the summer. We stayed there last summer and when restrictions were lifted and felt perfectly safe.

I think it’s clear by now that these variants are going to be a part of our lives so we just have to learn to live with them.

A very large percentage of the population has been vaccinated, so now is the time to grab the next stage of freedom isn’t it?

JenniferEccles Sun 16-May-21 08:41:19

I think Urms was talking about a coffee not shoes!

Mind you she might be wearing flat white shoes when she has her coffee inside!!

However we are shod it’s wonderful to have the choice of where to sit according to the weather conditions given all the rain we have had lately!