Gransnet forums

Chat

lets get out and about on Monday

(93 Posts)
infoman Sun 16-May-21 06:37:33

day time
and spend some of the money we have not been able to spend in the last few months.

Ellianne Sun 16-May-21 08:50:43

JenniferEccles

I think Urms was talking about a coffee not shoes!

Mind you she might be wearing flat white shoes when she has her coffee inside!!

However we are shod it’s wonderful to have the choice of where to sit according to the weather conditions given all the rain we have had lately!

Apparently you can get shoes from recycled coffee! grin

dragonfly46 Sun 16-May-21 08:57:47

Nothing planned for Monday but we are venturing south the week after to stay with DD and DS.

Grammaretto Sun 16-May-21 09:19:00

Wow! Ellianne I had never heard of that.
I learn so much on here.
The debate about spending continues. Way back in the 1970s when all we hippies were into self-sufficiency. recycling clothes etc we were accused of selfishness and isolationism!
The argument was as M0nica reminds us that we must spend to keep the economy strong.

I haven't intended to spend during the pandemic but it is proving impossible not to. from house and garden repairs to funerals, it has been non-stop.

I am seriously considering letting my spare room on airbnb and making a little cash and keep the wolf from the door.

Galaxy Sun 16-May-21 09:38:00

I wont be returning to the way I spent pre pandemic. I used Costas etc a lot for work lunches and so on, I wont be doing that anymore, let's face it they arent very nice, I have been able to spend a lot more on my home etc because of that. I wonder which sections of the economy will gain from all this.

timetogo2016 Sun 16-May-21 10:07:53

We are off to the static caravan by the sea,so still self distancing which is fine by me.
Sooo looking forward to long beach walks.

Winny Sun 16-May-21 10:21:55

Our 2020 Windermere break was transferred to May 10th 2021. When Boris announced the roadmap we altered it to May 17th. We’ll be staying in an apartment and eating at restaurants and pubs which we’ve prebooked. We have to start living again.

PaperMonster Sun 16-May-21 10:27:44

We’re off to the cinema!!

FannyCornforth Sun 16-May-21 10:30:16

timetogo2016

We are off to the static caravan by the sea,so still self distancing which is fine by me.
Sooo looking forward to long beach walks.

That sounds absolutely perfect.
Wishing you a lovely time. sunshine

I'll be going with DH to get vaccine number two and bracing myself for the onslaught of side effects sad

Megs36 Sun 16-May-21 10:30:35

Sadly we are going to a funeral, at last more people allowed according to venue.
Will look forward to son’s BIG birthday (how did that happen ?) in a couple of weeks after not meeting family indoors for months.

Liz46 Sun 16-May-21 11:46:50

Fanny, we didn't get any significant side effects from our second jab (Pfizer) so you may be o.k.

Purplepixie Sun 16-May-21 11:55:49

I wont be hurrying to the shops, pub or restaurants as I haven’t missed them at all. I do miss the initial peace and quiet of the first lockdown though. One day I had a walk around our village and could actually hear lots of birdsong, animals in the fields etc. And it was lovely. Think of our earth and recycle more. Worry about those poor countries who cannot feed themselves. Put others before you and stop chomping on the bit to get out there on Monday. Be kind to each other.

Riverwalk Sun 16-May-21 12:00:43

What does be kind to each other mean, in the context of the thread?

I think many on here are putting others before themselves by spending their own money to help salvage the poor sods in the hospitality industry who need customers!

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 12:03:31

I'd rather wait and go to the Battle of the Flowers in Jersey. I'd promised myself to go last year for my 80th but it was cancelled. I'll have to wait and see how the land lies.

EllanVannin Sun 16-May-21 12:06:45

I'll be thinking of you Fanny, having allowed myself just one vaccination because of how I suffered too. x

Blossoming Sun 16-May-21 12:13:53

Fanny Cornforth I was really ill after my first jab (not as bad as EllanVannin though) but not even a twinge after my second.

JenniferEccles Sun 16-May-21 12:20:55

It’s perfectly possible to be kind to others, to recycle etc and still go out to support struggling businesses, which of course is being thoughtful and kind to the proprietors who will welcome us with open arms.

I struggle to see the point you are making Purplepixie although I do agree about how the peace and quiet was a bonus during lockdown.

It was a completely artificial situation though wasn’t it?
We can’t live like that for ever.

NotSpaghetti Sun 16-May-21 12:25:10

My second vaccination was just as bad as the first.
Pfizer

Galaxy Sun 16-May-21 12:25:14

I think be kind is irrelevant in every aspect here. Going out for a nice meal with friends is not really being kind and not doing it is not being unkind.

FannyCornforth Sun 16-May-21 12:44:22

EllanVanin
I do apologise. I appear to have pmed you. Fifteen times...

FannyCornforth Sun 16-May-21 12:45:03

Thank you Blossoming

Galaxy Sun 16-May-21 12:49:53

grin sorry fanny that made me laugh.

3nanny6 Sun 16-May-21 13:07:56

I am not going to do anything different tomorrow and have nothing booked. I have a birthday of my GS in 6 days so I will venture out during the week and get him a birthday present.

My 2 cousins and the children all went to the coast for a week
(that was last week) and they said that the weather was awful, they went to the beach on a couple of days and twice the big
windbreaker they put up took flight and blew away they made me laugh.
I am waiting until the weather improves before I do too much.

greenlady102 Sun 16-May-21 13:13:05

tanith

I don’t feel the need to go anywhere or spend anything but I’m happy you’re free to do it.

me too!

SusieB50 Sun 16-May-21 13:37:20

Last week I ventured on the train to see my sister for the first time since first lock down , we planned to sit outside under her Veranda. When came out of the station to walk the 20 minutes to her house , I suddenly decided to get a cab as I had a big bag of plant cuttings for her . I was glad I did - the cab driver said I was his first customer ( at 12 midday) poor man. If we can afford it let’s get out , spend and support all these people who have lost so much.

Bridie22 Sun 16-May-21 14:00:23

opticians Monday, need new glasses and sunglasses, that will see of my savings.