Gransnet forums

Chat

Slippers! Not just for Christmas

(92 Posts)
MawBe Wed 09-Jun-21 08:09:04

Do you wear slippers around the house, just for getting out of bed - -at all? And how often do you replace them?
There is something very grannyish about slippers isn’t there- the image of “carpet slippers” or “pipe and slippers”
My mum never wore slippers, preferring light shoes which she designated “house shoes” and claimed she felt safer as well as better dressed in them. Likewise I don’t really like them except for bed-to-bathroom trips and usually wear a pair of Skechers throughout the day.
Anyway way, since Rosie moved in I have had to retrieve my slippers once too often from the garden and am obliged to sleep with them in bed beside me. And I have become uncomfortably aware of their presence ?
So they need replacing. I am actually quite ashamed of the fact that it had not occurred to me until right under my nose as it were. No wonder she found them irresistible ??
Go on, so when did you last buy a new pair of slippers?

Lillian40 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:49:02

I only wear cosy slippers with rubber soles in the Winter. Cheap ballerina shoes, just for indoors, and when its warm and hot bare feet. Ballerina shoes from Primark are idea for slippers.

Nannan2 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:49:21

Chewbacca- try M&S.Have some leopard print in blue þhis year.or wear beach/pool flipflops.All those are in floral/modern prints.

Nannan2 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:49:55

*this year.?

NannanTo4 Thu 10-Jun-21 11:50:45

Oh dear ..... On reading the OP I took myself upstairs to my ‘slipper cupboard’ for a count. Now I put my hands up and admit to a minimum of 17 pairs of slippers. All used, only one battered pair, some are purely used for post bath/shower and the others are for daytime.
I have a clean pair on the hall side of the kitchen so if I need to answer the door, go upstairs etc then I slip off one pair and put on the other. After a couple of days the hallway slippers become my kitchen slippers and a clean pair of hallway slippers are put in place.
My kitchen slippers can then be used to peg out, go to the bins, retrieve non garden items from the garden (moved there courtesy of Belle)
Not obsessive but I have the time and it keeps the carpets cleaner longer.
This time of year I’m mostly in crocs, flip flops or bare feet on the kitchen side.

AiryFlyingFairy Thu 10-Jun-21 11:53:04

I wear flip flops indoors/garden in this weather.
In Winter it's the furry bootie style
I have a Per Una M&S pair so comfy, I love them.

Harmonypuss Thu 10-Jun-21 11:53:25

My favourite slippers are proper sheepskin moccasins without the rubber bottoms (sorry vegans) but I have big feet andfind them very difficult to source and when I can they're extremely expensive so most of the time I wear mule-type slippers whenever I'm inside the house.

I get out of bed and step straight into them then they only come off my feet when I'm in the shower, leaving the house or getting back into bed but they're always ready and waiting for me when I'm ready to put them back on.

I usually have 2 pairs floating around because I do wash them every 6 weeks or so, so whilst a pair is being washed I grab the clean pair and wear those for about 6 weeks.

weeducky Thu 10-Jun-21 11:58:15

My delivery man said he was the 'slipper police' as they had to take a photo of your parcel on your doorstep and nearly always got ones slippers in the frame!

Talullah Thu 10-Jun-21 11:58:23

I think I was abut 10 when I last owned a pair of slippers. I'm either barefooted or sock footed. Funnily enough my DH has just treated himself to his first pair, ever! He's just retired. I wonder if he'll get a pipe next

Maggiemaybe Thu 10-Jun-21 12:06:33

The last pair I bought was for DH about a year ago. They’re Mahabis, not cheap, and haven’t worn well.

I always go barefoot, and have only ever worn slippers when I had to on the maternity ward. I’ve still got those 40-plus year old very uncomfortable beaded mules somewhere, ready for any future admissions. smile

My DH has always worn slippers, Talullah. And smoked a pipe when he was in his early 20s. grin Fortunately that was a short lived phase.

Alioop Thu 10-Jun-21 12:07:46

Mule slippers in winter, flip flops in summer

knspol Thu 10-Jun-21 12:16:01

Birkenstock type slip ons until really cold weather and then cosy, rubber soled glerup slippers.

handbaghoarder Thu 10-Jun-21 12:25:51

Ugg style slipper boots for me too. Love them. Get mine from Next. Several colours usually available. Firm under foot. Warm. Have used them for quick dog walks, dependent on weather of course(. Look fine with jeans). Have a brand new grey pair I’m longing to break into ?

jaylucy Thu 10-Jun-21 12:30:40

I wear slippers when it's cold and a pair of my old mule sandals when it warms up.
I hate walking around with bare feet - even more so since I found that I had stood on a large spider as I got out of bed in the middle of the night to go to the loo a few months ago!

SueEH Thu 10-Jun-21 12:33:20

I never wore slippers but treated myself to a real sheepskin pair with rubber soles last winter. And I love them! No sweaty feet and can potter around outside in them too.

Davida1968 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:37:33

Always wear slippers inside a home but (on medical advice) I have a pair of shoes which are my designated slippers. These give more support.

annifrance Thu 10-Jun-21 12:42:47

I have Hotter slippers for winter when it is very cold here. During summer it is very hot so I am now on a mission to find the perfect summer slippers. Any ideas, it needs to have a solid sole.?

In the UK I was barefoot, but here even with the highest temperatures our house stays really cool and we have tiled floors so even then it is too cold to go barefoot. The walls are
nearly 50cm thick so it is a joy to walk into when it's hot, but only wearing shoes!

GrammaH Thu 10-Jun-21 12:43:45

I bought a pair of gorgeous Swedish sheepskin slippers for myself last Christmas, having coveted the pair I bought for GraffaC the previous Christmas. I wore them all the time until relatively recently when I transferred to some old Fitflops. I do have a gorgeous pair of turquoise Moroccan leather slippers I wore last summer but sadly they've got holes in the soles, now covered in insulation tape so I can pop them on occasionally - they were very useful when DH dropped a piece of heavy wood on my foot & it went purple & swelled like a balloon & was tender for weeks & I couldn't wear shoes!

Cabbie21 Thu 10-Jun-21 12:55:52

I always wear slippers from the moment I get out of bed until I go to bed at night, unless I leave the house, which in the past year, has not been every day. My feet feel the cold, and then I get cramp, so I cannot be without. In very hot weather I don’t want to wear them but I cannot bear to go barefoot, in fact I have been advised to when I got plantar fasciitis.
I am a bit stuck for what to wear on hot days, inside or out, as. My bare feet get hot and sticky. I am most comfortable with socks and proper shoes, but that can het hot too, and does not look very smart with a dress if I go out.

Toddleo Thu 10-Jun-21 12:57:08

Slippers are essential wear to me. I can remember gently mocking my mum for her slipper use when I was a teenager, and then, once I had children, slippers became essential! My daughter, now a mummy herself was the same, she mocked me and now cannot live without hers! it must be genetic! Having plantar fasciitis means I can not go bare foot anyway, so I have orthotic innersoles in any slippers I wear, and rubber soles so I can pop outside.

Purplepixie Thu 10-Jun-21 13:11:33

I wear slippers and they are comfortable and to hell with what other people think! I don’t care if they sound granny ish, why care what others think. It is my feet and my comfort.

MooM00 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:31:49

I wear slippers of some kind all year round can’t stand having bare feet. I have slippers at my DD house when I am child minding also some at my DS house when I am child minding there. Last lot of slippers were bought at Christmas.

cc Thu 10-Jun-21 13:33:35

I don't like the look of furry slippers and I don't like furry linings as they get so smelly. My high instep means that the ballet pump type of slippers keeps slipping off and I find mules hard to wear on stairs.
I used to have a lovely pair of boys' leather slippers, with leather soles and just a fabric lining. They were like mens' traditional slippers and the boys' size was perfect for me, but the soles eventually wore through and I can't find any more.
Has anybody seen any of these anywhere? I used to buy them in Harrods and they lasted for years.

nipsmum Thu 10-Jun-21 13:37:47

3 pairs at Christmas are 2 pairs too many. I have 1 pair of feet.

Mamma66 Thu 10-Jun-21 13:46:13

I wear them all the time and have numerous pairs which I chuck in the wash every few days. They get thrown once they start falling to bits

HannahLoisLuke Thu 10-Jun-21 14:29:29

The only time I bought a pair of slippers was for a stay in hospital and I chose a pair that look more like black velvet ballet shoes. I only ever wear them when visiting other peoples homes as I won’t wear outdoor shoes in the house. At home I’m either barefoot or in socks.