Artaylar Thu 09-Sep-21 17:17:40

Been driving since 1984 and during that time
Austin 1300
Fiesta
Metro
Matiz
Honda Civic
And now.....Hyundai i10 as pictured.

My favourite was my very first one, the Austin 1300, lovely little car with bags of character. Very smooth drive too.

Humbertbear Sun 12-Sep-21 11:37:53

Deedaa - I couldn’t disagree more. I had a purple PT Cruiser and loved it. I still miss it, 6 years later. We only got rid of it because it would have cost more to put right than it was worth. If they still made them I’d buy another one and never drive anything else.

daffers Sun 12-Sep-21 11:38:44

My favourite car was a Mercedes 280SL

GrammaH Sun 12-Sep-21 11:39:20

I didn't have a car of my own until I got married & really, we share a car but I drive it most of the time & DH has his van. If we go out or away, he drives as he gets car sick! We've had all sorts - several Peugeots, a Jeep Cherokee which I loved & he hated, a fantastic little yellow Seat Ibiza which went like the clappers & was known as the Flying Custard. Then we had a convertible Peugeot followed by 2 convertible Golfs then OH fell in love with a Mercedes C200 convertible which he treated himself - & me too - for his 65th birthday. We loved it, it was great but very big with not much space in. We had it for 3 years & I was sorry when it went as it was my 2nd favourite - I loved the Flying Custard! We now have a racing green Mini Countryman with white stripes on the bonnet & a white roof, it's spacious & fun & drives well. Sadly it's being repaired at the moment as someone ran into it whilst it was parked & we were enjoying a day on the beach - a nasty surprise to return to. Fortunately a witness had caught the miscreant & taken details. Aah, the joys of car ownership!

Jazzhands Sun 12-Sep-21 11:40:20

The Ford Prefect is the first car I remember my Mum and Dad having. He had to start it by going out the front and repeatedly turning a crank, while Mum pulled out the choke. The indicators were orange wings that emerged from the middle roof, and there was a running-board that you stood on to get in. Once, while stuck in mountains and fog. Dad had to go under the car to look at the chassis, as he struck a deer. Mum cracked open a flask of tea for us all while she sat inside, but she threw the dregs out the window, landing on Dad. I'd never heard Dad swear before!

Caleo Sun 12-Sep-21 11:52:41

I have happiest associations with small Fiats. 126, Uno, and Punto.

Minibookworm Sun 12-Sep-21 11:58:07

My first car was a mini and I have a mini now. Definitely my favourite make of car.

Mollyplop Sun 12-Sep-21 12:00:58

Loving this thread! My husband is a classic car nut so too many too list, I lost count after 100. But my personal favourites were a 2.8 Navy/silver grandad mrk 2 ghia (we got married in it 20years ago) a 2.8 white sierra 4×4 estate that was very quick. And a lovely little green Austin a30 that I've just sold (but I have a feeling it'll be back one day)

11:37Humbertbear I loved the PT cruisers, they looked like gangster cars. There is a really strong following for them in the classic car shows. There are some beauties ?

MarilynneT33 Sun 12-Sep-21 12:04:30

VW Beetle
Mini
Austin Maestro (a nightmare of a thing)
Vauxhall Astra
Daewoo Matiz
Aygo (2006)
Aygo (2018)
Aygo (2021) new Sept plate just waiting on delivery.

TiggyW Sun 12-Sep-21 12:07:36

I love the old Mini and the new Mini, but not the bigger versions, e.g. Paceman, Countryman. The original design is still the best. That’s why they’re always used in films and as competition prizes.

icanhandthemback Sun 12-Sep-21 12:09:12

I loved my Citroen Zara Picasso, enjoyed driving my Ford Kuga and really enjoy the Honda Jazz we have as a second car. My favourite though, was a Hyundai Trajet which was the most comfortable car to drive. The seats were luxurious, there was enough space for our 6 kids, the automatic gear box was smooth and there was great view from the driver's seat. It was a bit like driving from your armchair but, oh so thirsty so it had to go. I was gutted.

icanhandthemback Sun 12-Sep-21 12:09:45

That should have read Citroen "Xara"!

TiggyW Sun 12-Sep-21 12:10:14

MarilynneT33
I now drive an Aygo - great little car, but I wish I could afford another Mini! ?

Bluedaisy Sun 12-Sep-21 12:31:31

I’ve got a Toyota RAV4 and this is the second one I’ve had. My first I had for 10 years and even though it was 5 years old when I got it, it never went wrong and started first time every time in all weathers, I absolutely loved that car. I only gave it up because I got another RAV4 exactly the same but a couple of years newer and this one I’ve had over 15 years. We’ve been all over England with it and touch wood it never lets us down. The only problem I’m finding now is obviously it’s started to look a bit shabby but we have had all the wheels re sprayed but also I’ve got new finger joints in my right hand and I’m right handed and the back door is too heavy for me to open now as it has the spare wheel attached. I love my little old car and one day will be sad again when I have to change it up. I just hope I can find something as reliable as my Ravs.

HannahLoisLuke Sun 12-Sep-21 12:40:00

My very first car was a brand new Mini Mayfair, bought for me by my husband. Wrote it off when a horse fly stung me on the way to work one summer morning.
Next came a second hand Honda Civic which I had for several years, then replaced by a new Honda CRV. Had that for a few years until that too was written off by a scaffold lorry reversing into the side of it on a car park.
Next came a nearly new Renault Meghane which served me well for thirteen years before everything electrical started to go wrong. Cost me a fortune before I saw the light and sent her to the scrapyard where they hopefully removed all the new parts I’d had replaced at great expense.
I now have a second hand Hyundai i10. Small enough to put in my pocket ? very basic but hopefully reliable.
I can’t say I had a favourite. In fact my favourite car belongs to my daughter and I’d buy one if I won the lottery, it’s a Mini Countryman and is very chunky, much bigger than my own first mini.

leeds22 Sun 12-Sep-21 12:44:38

I learned to drive in boyfriend’s Triumph Herald convertible, great car with an amazing turning circle. It was difficult to learn to do a three point turn. Then a series of old bangers, mostly decaying minis. Finally bought a new Fiat Punto which I loved. We now have a VW T-roc, which we are replacing shortly, have never liked it and will be glad to see it go.

Foxyferret Sun 12-Sep-21 12:58:19

My favourite was my Ford Capri GT. Got it new at about £1200. It was white with a red stripe down the side, we called it the jam sandwich.

timetogo2016 Sun 12-Sep-21 13:10:16

My first was a Ford Fiesta.
Nissan Almera, i called her Vera.
Peugeot 406.
Ford Fiesta again.
Vauxhall Astra,Automatic.
Ford Kuga,Automatic and my favourite up to date.
And my next one will also be a Kuga.

SiobhanSharpe Sun 12-Sep-21 13:22:33

My first car (21st birthday present) was a Hillman Minx, then --- Three minis (original design)
- 2 Vauxhall Astras
- Vauxhall Carlton
And since about 1998, just Audis.
Three A4s
One A6 avant (estate)
One A5 which we've had for 5+ years and my favourite, will be replaced by another A5. Tend to keep cars for 4-6 years.

Nellie54 Sun 12-Sep-21 13:24:16

Vauxhall
Renault
Fiat/rubbish
Mercedes
Mercedes
Honda
Honda
Honda

nipsmum Sun 12-Sep-21 13:44:49

My favourite was my red and gold Nissan Sunny estate car with automatic gearbox. My worst was bought by my ex husband and was a Racing green Triumph Dolomite. It was heavy and the gearbox was dreadful. It was also rubbish in slippery conditions.

Alioop Sun 12-Sep-21 13:47:27

My first car after I passed my test was
A red Ford fiesta(1989)
White Vauxhall Nova
Pinky/purple Fiat Bravo
Pale blue Fiat Bravo
Navy Suzuki jeep
Mid blue Suzuki jeep
Now I've had a white Mégane coupe for over 10 years since I've been in my own, no husband wanting to change it all the time. Its 13 years old with 27,500 miles on it so why would I change. It has a full body kit and still looks great.

annodomini Sun 12-Sep-21 13:57:58

Red Hillman Imp
Light BlueMorris 1100
Bright BlueVVWBeetle 1300
Orange Vauxhall Chevette
Beige Fiesta
Red Honda Sports
Silver VW Polo
Dark Blue Fiesta
Dark Blue Honda Yaris
White Kia Picanto (current car)

All my own, though I shared other vehicles with XH before we could afford two cars!

annodomini Sun 12-Sep-21 14:02:13

I must add that the Beetle was my favourite car of all time and wish I could have kept it for ever!

Hellogirl1 Sun 12-Sep-21 14:05:44

Hasn`t anyone else had a Chrysler 2 litre? We had ours from 1978 until about 1982, I thought it was a most beautiful car, my favourite out of all the cars we`ve had. No more cars now since hubby died, I`ve never learned to drive.

Shinamae Sun 12-Sep-21 14:07:06

Dodgem ?