Gransnet forums

Chat

The Psychology of Mr Johnson: Why does he do as he does?

(33 Posts)
FannyCornforth Mon 13-Dec-21 17:16:40

Hello!
What do you think?
My theory (this afternoon, that is) is that Johnson perceived his father as ‘The King of the World’, and that he is trapped in a cycle of emulation.
Poor bloke, and poor UK

ValerieF Mon 13-Dec-21 17:29:33

Well have no theory and never sure who to vote for tbh. Think they all sound fabulous until they get into government! Let’s face it, whichever government is in, there is only a limited amount of funds SO yes, oldies will vote for more pension, more care facilities, young mums will vote for more money into education. Unemployed will vote for promises of work opportunities… and so it goes on BUT.. same pot eh? So where exactly does all this money come from?

Mistakes made with this Covid situation for sure, BUT would labor have done any better ? not sure! Nobody knew what was in store and I mean NOBODY. Not scientists, let alone Boris and certainly not Kier. Easy to find fault in retrospect eh?

Smileless2012 Mon 13-Dec-21 17:33:05

Can you give some detail as to how you arrived at your theory Fanny?

Chewbacca Mon 13-Dec-21 17:35:05

Eh? confused

Marmite32 Mon 13-Dec-21 18:01:44

As per all psychopaths .....who can't identify with
feelings of others.And that's beingcharitable

MaizieD Mon 13-Dec-21 18:10:00

Mistakes made with this Covid situation for sure, BUT would labor have done any better ? not sure! Nobody knew what was in store and I mean NOBODY. Not scientists, let alone Boris and certainly not Kier. Easy to find fault in retrospect eh?

You're very easily pleased, ValerieF

Nearly 2 years into this pandemic. You'd have thought that Johnson would have learned something about it by now. But procrastination and trusting to luck has been the order of the day right from the start and still is.

This hindsight thing is complete nonsense. Starmer has been ahead of the curve all the time...

I've been following several scientific experts on twitter since the start and they've barely got any hair left from tearing it out in despair at the government's failure to act in time. Every time...

Nobody could have done any worse...

EllanVannin Mon 13-Dec-21 18:10:50

That'll be all MP's, Marmite as they all look after number 1.

Germanshepherdsmum Mon 13-Dec-21 18:33:08

Do you remember David Amess who was killed not long ago EV? He certainly didn’t fit your unpleasant sweeping generalisation. That comment is contemptuous.

EllanVannin Mon 13-Dec-21 18:41:54

Yes I remember that lovely man Germanshepherdsmum, a rarity amongst politicians.

I wonder how many of them give their constituents a knock now and again ? Which I was also making reference to, considering that it's we the public who put them where they are.
Do they actually care ?

EllanVannin Mon 13-Dec-21 18:43:22

In fact, David Amess was a rarity amongst humans in general !

EllanVannin Mon 13-Dec-21 18:48:09

I know no other MP who has put themselves out for their constituents. Angela Eagle is the only other one that I know who had time for her constituents and even myself by letter or visit and I wasn't even " on her side " but it didn't matter to her.

Iam64 Mon 13-Dec-21 18:59:12

I’m unhappy with Johnson and his government. I try not to be cynical but, when he announced we could/should all do LFT, which were readily available - I suspected a shortage. Sure enough, our great local pharmacy apologised today ‘sorry, there’s a National shortage’.
My consultant advised I ask any gathering id be joining over Christmas to LFT the day before….

My previous Labour MP was a local man, who still lived in the constituency, he was visible in local shops, libraries, replied to every letter etc. He lost to a Tory who lives 200 miles away, never, ever replies to letters. I wish I believed he has the remotest interest in our poor former mill town but I don’t.
Despite my grumbles, I don’t believe David Amess was a rarity amongst human beings. I believe most of us care about each other - tho I don’t include Johnson in that

Iam64 Mon 13-Dec-21 19:04:13

Apologies for going off on one and not answering the question. I believe Mr J behaves as he does because he had an emotionally abusive childhood. Warring parents, macho, arrogant, emotionally unavailable father who ‘accidentally’ broke his wife’s nose. A mother who was depressed, emotionally unavailable then - off to the schools that have provided the bulk of our parliamentarians and ‘ruling classes’. A bit like Borsalino really, not designed to turn our secure individuals ….

MayBee70 Mon 13-Dec-21 19:12:13

Why do the electorate seem to think that men that are a product of the public school system have enough knowledge of ordinary peoples lives to govern them? I know some people on here have been to boarding school and been happy there but what effect does it have on a child to be sent away from home at a young age and been subjected to bullying etc?

GagaJo Mon 13-Dec-21 19:28:31

IMO he is a typical over entitled, upper class, spoiled brat. His schools, university, family and friends have led him to a massive, over inflated sense of greatness, backed by an enormous feeling of entitlement.

Rules (Covid), standards (how well he does his job), morals (lying, cheating adultery) don't apply to him. They're for the plebs (us). He's a 'Great' man.

Grandmagrim Mon 13-Dec-21 20:39:51

I genuinely believe he suffers from crippling cowardice. He is savvy enough to dress like he is a harmless oaf -a ruse to detract from his cut throat determination to get what he wanted. Now he has it he is too cowardly to just be honest.

M0nica Mon 13-Dec-21 21:25:14

I have always considered that Boris has ADHD. The disorganisation, the chaos and untidiness and the restlessness are all signs of it. I almost certainly have it myself, so recognise a lot of the signs.

Why does everyone always assume private education means boarding schoo?. Most private schools are day schools, including highly rated ones like Westminster. In other schools the children board week days only.

There will always be a need for boarding schools for children of people in the forces, diplomatic service and some professions because it reqquires constant changes of location.

My father was in the army. I went to 8 primary schools, but only 2 secondary schools. This gave me the continuity to take all my exams while at the same school and get to university. If I had continued to stay at dayschool and follow the flag, I would have changed schools and country half way through the second year of my A levels.

Urmstongran Mon 13-Dec-21 22:04:23

I don’t think it’s the education they had (which helps - teacher to pupil ratio being so much better, prep after classes ensures homework is done, not stuffed in a school bag on the bus on the way home then ignored) that gives the sense of entitlement. It’s MONEY. Just having it opens doors. Gives confidence.

Hobbies, glamorous holidays, gorgeous houses, home help, private medical care - little or no ‘our NHS’ for these families, nepotism, the ‘right’ contacts. An endless list of privilege. Lucky buggers.

A different world indeed to that which most of us inhabit.

Galaxy Mon 13-Dec-21 22:08:36

But Johnson isn't lucky, despite all of that, a damaged man. Not lucky at all.

Calistemon Mon 13-Dec-21 22:49:56

I am not a psychiatrist so will not attempt a diagnosis.

Bridgeit Mon 13-Dec-21 23:10:45

The Short answer to … why does he do as he does…. Is that
he is who is……. Which is what we all are…..

MayBee70 Mon 13-Dec-21 23:14:30

Why do some people want power? Beats me. It’s like people having billions of pounds when they could do so much good with the money. Or have less and have a nice quiet life.

Bridgeit Mon 13-Dec-21 23:19:57

It’s a combination of personality, circumstances, genes, opportunity , intelligence, common sense …… just like baking a cake really , one hopes it will rise & shine but sadly many
sink in the middle !

FannyCornforth Tue 14-Dec-21 02:20:16

Smileless2012

Can you give some detail as to how you arrived at your theory Fanny?

I’ve been very ‘interested’ in Johnson ever since he has been a public figure.

I’ve mentioned this before on here; I cried on the morning of the Referendum result because I was so scared that he would become PM.

The books I’ve read about him are Tom Bowers’ biography, and the brilliant ‘The Assault on Truth’ by Peter Oborne.

Johnson had an appalling childhood, mainly due to Stanley, and I think that he is deeply damaged.

I keep meaning to read a book called ‘Sad Little Men’ about the boarding school system and why it’s so unwise to have the products of such a system in positions of power; but I’m sure that it won’t exactly be an enjoyable read.

I realise that my title and op are a bit garbled!
I pressed ‘post’ before I went back to edit it, like I usually do.
Even that sentence is a bit garbled!

Galaxy Tue 14-Dec-21 08:10:58

I agree, I am often conflicted about Johnson as I sometimes feel pity, it's a cycle of damage.