Gransnet forums

Chat

Just discovered I'm a Mif! (lighthearted thread)

(93 Posts)
giulia Thu 12-May-22 08:34:34

While enjoying a novel which evidenced British class distinction (mentioned under Books thread today), I was amazed and amused to find I'm a Mif "which is absolutely not done!".

This means Milk in first.

I'd never realized there was any snobbery attached. In fact, had read that the choice of when to put the milk into tea depended on whether or not delicate porcelain cups are being used. If so, it is sensible to start with the milk to prevent the risk of boiling tea cracking the cup.

I don't use porcelain cups and have always started with the milk and do not intend changing.

How about you? I DID say this is a lighthearted thread!

BigBertha1 Thu 12-May-22 10:29:07

To the horror of DD2 I am a mif. She likes her tea builders strength so likes to see it brew to a dark colour before adding the milk. |It has to be Yorkshire Tea too which I find far too strong for my delicate palate. smile

Callistemon21 Thu 12-May-22 10:31:18

Urmstongran

We used to put milk in first when using a teapot (you can take the girl out of Old Trafford but you can’t take Old Trafford out of the girl) but now we’re even more common and make tea in our (admittedly china) mugs by pouring boiling water directly onto the tea bags. Mind you it does mean I pour milk in after the bag is removed. I can’t work out whether that’s posher or not. Probably not.

Same here and yes, definitely Non-U brew ?

grumppa Thu 12-May-22 10:41:32

Mif for tea when I was a child, but mil for coffee. Now mil for tea (leaf and bags) and no milk in coffee.

BlueSky Thu 12-May-22 10:52:01

I thought we were going to discuss MiLFs! blush

giulia Thu 12-May-22 11:28:38

Don't know what a MiLF is! (My thread was about Mifs.) But I don't live in UK so forgive my ignorance.

Am now going to turn my nose up at most of you and say I only use looseleaf tea and in a proper teapot (though I do drink out of a mug). I also use a teacosy!

My problem is that, as I live in Europe, I have to rely on British Corner Shop for supplies of Yorkshire Looseleaf Brew and have to wait for them to get it back in stock each time. Obviously, all the other Brits living in Europe prefer it too!

nanna8 Thu 12-May-22 11:30:50

I don’t live in the uk, either. Must be worldwide.

giulia Thu 12-May-22 11:39:55

nanna8

I don’t live in the uk, either. Must be worldwide.

Where are you?

Lucca Thu 12-May-22 11:43:09

giulia

Don't know what a MiLF is! (My thread was about Mifs.) But I don't live in UK so forgive my ignorance.

Am now going to turn my nose up at most of you and say I only use looseleaf tea and in a proper teapot (though I do drink out of a mug). I also use a teacosy!

My problem is that, as I live in Europe, I have to rely on British Corner Shop for supplies of Yorkshire Looseleaf Brew and have to wait for them to get it back in stock each time. Obviously, all the other Brits living in Europe prefer it too!

Giulia. Milf. Vuol dire madre che vorrei scopare. Mi dispiace…..?

giulia Thu 12-May-22 11:43:24

Baggs

If tea comes out of a teapot (as it does first thing in the morning for me), I'm a mif too. If I make a mug of tea with a teabag, I'm not.

My dad, if he was serving tea (which would have been made in a pot cos my mum liked hers stewed and boot-polishy), would ask people if they were pre-lactivators or post-lactivators.

Pre-lacivator/post-lacivator!!! Sounds almost sexy!

giulia Thu 12-May-22 11:44:55

Lucca

giulia

Giulia. Milf. Vuol dire madre che vorrei scopare. Mi dispiace…..?

Oh! Goodness Gracious Me!!!

kittylester Thu 12-May-22 11:53:41

I always use leaf tea - either in a big pot or a small one when it is just me. DH uses a teabag when he is brewing just for himself but he does it correctly - bag removed when the tea is brewed to his satisfaction before adding milk and sugar

I drink my tea from a white china mug adding milk and sugar first.

M0nica Thu 12-May-22 17:10:31

We prefer leaf tea. I shall not say what soggy used teabags remind me of.

hollysteers Thu 12-May-22 18:18:47

Mif is Non-U (not that it matters) but I just throw everything into a mug (small one) if it’s just for myself and prefer builders’ tea as I get older.
If serving tea to guests in Ye Olden Days, I would pour the tea, then milk if wanted. Someone once asked if I was Irish for serving this way! (Grandmother with distant Irish relatives).
I recently read Jilly Cooper’s book “Class” from the 70s and the intricacies of our class system are intriguing.

Honeysuckleberries Thu 12-May-22 18:20:46

MILF is mother I’d like to Fxxk! Yuck.

BlueSky Thu 12-May-22 18:30:40

Loose tea = milk first brew
Tea bag = milk after brew

Gin Thu 12-May-22 18:47:47

My Scottish MIL thought it disgusting to put the milk in first, she trained me to be a Mil. After many many years of her ways I hate mif, it tastes different. Nothing to do with class, just taste. We always use leaf tea.

Hithere Thu 12-May-22 18:52:58

Please do not use that for letter word

It is very derogatory towards women

Hithere Thu 12-May-22 18:53:43

Four... autocorrect sucks

Rosie51 Thu 12-May-22 18:55:25

Whether it's our usual loose tea or teabags all tea is made in a teapot so always milk first. I've read that milk last scalds the milk which is why it will taste different Gin.

sodapop Thu 12-May-22 18:57:56

I went off tea during my last pregnancy and still can't bear the smell of it. That was 44 years ago now.

hollysteers Thu 12-May-22 19:29:38

Hithere please do not use that Americanism “s***s”, it offends me.
(Only joking?)

Hithere Thu 12-May-22 21:49:32

Minimizing an offense while insulting the American English - justified as a joke

Classy

Lucca Thu 12-May-22 22:16:58

Hithere

Which four letter word ? Who is using it ?

Callistemon21 Thu 12-May-22 22:37:06

Lucca

Hithere

Which four letter word ? Who is using it ?

Yuck?

Callistemon21 Thu 12-May-22 22:37:55

Sucks?