Gransnet forums

Chat

Just discovered I'm a Mif! (lighthearted thread)

(93 Posts)
giulia Thu 12-May-22 08:34:34

While enjoying a novel which evidenced British class distinction (mentioned under Books thread today), I was amazed and amused to find I'm a Mif "which is absolutely not done!".

This means Milk in first.

I'd never realized there was any snobbery attached. In fact, had read that the choice of when to put the milk into tea depended on whether or not delicate porcelain cups are being used. If so, it is sensible to start with the milk to prevent the risk of boiling tea cracking the cup.

I don't use porcelain cups and have always started with the milk and do not intend changing.

How about you? I DID say this is a lighthearted thread!

Love2Retire Fri 13-May-22 14:19:52

That must make me a NMAA (no milk at all) then.

Shizam Fri 13-May-22 15:12:12

I’m proud to be as common as muck: I put milk in first. And I rented my wedding dress!!

leeds22 Fri 13-May-22 15:15:19

Milk in last for me. Tea ball in mug, hot water, swirl it around, add milk, check colour, maybe another swirl. Lovely and DH has mastered it too - he only drinks coffee.

Ali08 Fri 13-May-22 17:35:20

Well I'm definitely a MiF. And I will not change!

Ali08 Fri 13-May-22 17:36:01

leeds22

Milk in last for me. Tea ball in mug, hot water, swirl it around, add milk, check colour, maybe another swirl. Lovely and DH has mastered it too - he only drinks coffee.

Tea balls are new to me, please explain what these are?

Smileless2012 Fri 13-May-22 17:41:24

If I'm having tea poured from a pot it's milk first but if I'm making tea with a tea bag it's milk last.

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 17:46:45

Only in this country could all this be broken down into "class" related, surely?

NainDylan Fri 13-May-22 18:54:50

I even have milk in Earl grey, so I suppose I must be really common. I've discovered that really posh people call the living room/lounge etc 'the family room.'

MrsKen33 Fri 13-May-22 18:58:19

Definitely MIL

MissAdventure Fri 13-May-22 19:01:41

NainDylan

I even have milk in Earl grey, so I suppose I must be really common. I've discovered that really posh people call the living room/lounge etc 'the family room.'

I call the lounge "the laaaange" smile
Not posh here.

4allweknow Fri 13-May-22 20:30:26

I use a teapot and teabags. Have a standard size for 3 and a bit cups and a small white china pot for a large one cup. Always MIF.

Joesoap Fri 13-May-22 21:49:07

I am a MiF, I use tea bags mostly, but I am a MiF when I use a tea pot.Use mostly mugs but I do think tea tastes better in a china cup.I am not a snob I promise.

BlueSapphire Fri 13-May-22 22:27:15

I cannot abide a tea-bag in a cup/mug; I have to use a pot - and never milk in the mug first. I always refuse tea made by one of my sisters, as she puts the tea-bag in the mug with milk, and then puts the hot water in; I just say I'd prefer a coffee instead.

Shropshirelass Sat 14-May-22 10:00:27

Proper loose leaf tea (large leaves) and milk in first in proper china cups with saucers. Nothing else tastes the same. Tea bags give the tea a strange taste and putting the milk in last scalds the milk. Yuk!

Maggiemaybe Sat 14-May-22 13:56:04

NainDylan

I’ve always called it the front room. I’m not sure why, as our only back one is the kitchen. smile

timetogo2016 Sun 15-May-22 10:01:03

Mil all day long.

GrammarGrandma Sun 15-May-22 10:37:56

It's a class thing. I was brought up as a MIF but now put the milk in afterwards so I can see how much I need.