Gransnet forums

Chat

Best fiver I spent recently 🙂

(89 Posts)
Witzend Wed 03-Apr-24 13:24:42

After walking the Gdcs to 2 different schools, I had a 45 minute wait until their fantastic hardware shop* opened at 10.

I’m not a frequent user of coffee shops, but thought I’d nip into Costa and wait there. But there was a Greggs almost next door, which I’d never tried, so….

A perfectly nice coffee and a hot cheese and ham toastie (I’d had no breakfast) for a fiver! With a peaceful table to myself thrown in.
Safe to say I will definitely be doing that again!

*I just wish we had one of those anywhere near here! He has everything, and knows exactly where to find it.

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 03-Apr-24 14:14:18

I can see your waistline expanding! 😁

Urmstongran Wed 03-Apr-24 14:16:35

We have one in the square below us! Actually I’m not a fan.
😮 but I think I’m in the minority!

Theexwife Wed 03-Apr-24 14:21:37

Greggs vegan sausage rolls are very good, worth a try even if you are a meat eater.

Llamedos13 Wed 03-Apr-24 14:28:20

When I fly over from my home here in Canada (where I have yet to find a good sausage roll) to see my sister in Edinburgh, the first thing I do is treat myself to a Greggs sausage roll, so good😋

Georgesgran Wed 03-Apr-24 14:30:33

Greggs, of course, is a great Tyneside Company. Founded over 80 years ago, the original shop on Gosforth High Street is still going strong. Greggs have nearly 2500 shops and employ 32,000 colleagues. They provide breakfast for primary school children to the tune of £8M a year and through the annual Children Run have raised £40M towards care and research into children’s’ cancers.
I think there are 32 shops in Newcastle, but more in Glasgow.
By the way, I don’t work there, although their Factory is near DD2’s office - she says the smells are very distracting!

Primrose53 Wed 03-Apr-24 14:35:22

I only went to a Greggs once. They have those vacuum jugs on the side full of milk for your coffee. I struggled to work out how to use it and unscrewed the lid to find the whole seal covered in a thick layer of smelly, congealed milk.

I took a photo on my phone and contacted environmental Health who went out a day or two later, found the jug still in the same congealed mess and told the staff they must clean their jugs thoroughly in future and he would be doing spot checks.

Urmstongran Wed 03-Apr-24 17:38:13

Theexwife

Greggs vegan sausage rolls are very good, worth a try even if you are a meat eater.

🤣

Urmstongran Wed 03-Apr-24 17:41:45

Ooh apologies Theexwife! I read that incorrectly. Which is why it made me laugh … I thought you’d said “the sausage rolls are very good even if you are a meat eater” !

Harris27 Wed 03-Apr-24 17:49:33

Greggs fan but proud Geordie! Yes with an expanding waistline!

Harris27 Wed 03-Apr-24 17:50:15

Well said georgesgran!

Grandmadinosaur Wed 03-Apr-24 17:52:11

Witzend if you download the Greggs app you can sometimes get a free drink. They have a certain amount each day and it’s first come first served. At weekends the offer is a free breakfast sandwich. I only know all this as DH has the app. They have a branch one one of the retail parks we often use where the only other option is a very busy Costa.

annsixty Wed 03-Apr-24 18:08:21

We have a petrol station within walking distance ( mobility scooter for me) which has an Asda store attached in which there is a Greggs concession.
My GD and I sometimes walk along and get a hot sausage roll and Costa coffee , also a concession, and take it to the local park to eat.
Last time we went it was 4 for the price of 3.
I don't know how much it costs though.

Theexwife Wed 03-Apr-24 18:15:20

Urmstongran I like the way you read it, I shall use that when describing other meat products.

Witzend Wed 03-Apr-24 18:19:52

Grandmadinosaur

Witzend if you download the Greggs app you can sometimes get a free drink. They have a certain amount each day and it’s first come first served. At weekends the offer is a free breakfast sandwich. I only know all this as DH has the app. They have a branch one one of the retail parks we often use where the only other option is a very busy Costa.

TBH I’ll probably only use it when helping out with Gdcs 60 miles from home. There must be one in our town centre but I don’t recall seeing it! Will have to investigate though - the hot toasties are very tempting! I don’t much care if they’re not ‘healthy’ - any sort of fast food is a rarity here.

LOUISA1523 Thu 04-Apr-24 00:01:22

I love a greggs cheese and onion pasty

Grammaretto Thu 04-Apr-24 00:24:15

There's always a queue at the one here but I have only been in it a couple of times

There are 3 local independent cafés I prefer to support.

Coolgran65 Thu 04-Apr-24 01:01:27

I've never been in a Greggs though I know there are a few attached to some of the motorway filling stations.
Something to look forward to perhaps.
I suggested to dh that on the next decent day we'd make some egg and onion sandwiches and a flask of tea and go out for a drive and a picnic. We could add something tasty from a Greggs.

Witzend Thu 04-Apr-24 09:47:56

Grammaretto

There's always a queue at the one here but I have only been in it a couple of times

There are 3 local independent cafés I prefer to support.

TBH I would usually choose an independent if there was one,
certainly in preference to Costa, Starbucks, etc.

Sarnia Fri 05-Apr-24 11:15:29

I recently spent just short of £18 on a hot chocolate, small coffee, cheese toastie and an indifferent slice of lemon drizzle cake for myself and a granddaughter at Starbucks. I hadn't been in one before and won't be going in again. Rip-off prices. I avoid processed food when possible but my family love Greggs.

Barbadosbelle Fri 05-Apr-24 11:17:21

The first Greggs was a small independent shop, and I suspect all the small independent cafes we favour dream of becoming equally successful in the future!!

SGBoo Fri 05-Apr-24 11:25:37

Greggs are fabulous. You can even get a decent decaff coffee there too.

I esp like the tuna baggettes.... but I don't say no to the odd pasty...

Witzend Fri 05-Apr-24 11:28:09

One thing I really liked about a first visit to Majorca with a friend, was no Costas or Starbucks anywhere! Not even in Palma! No standing waiting in a queue while they faffed with their machines, no rip-off prices.,
Instead, independents with no queueing, with waiters who brought you a lovely cup of good filter coffee for €2.

This was a good 10 years ago though - I dare say the ‘plague’ has reached the island by now.

Yearoff Fri 05-Apr-24 11:29:34

Value wise Greggs is fantastic but I can’t agree their coffee is great. It’s not to my taste at all.

JdotJ Fri 05-Apr-24 11:31:12

Urmstongran

We have one in the square below us! Actually I’m not a fan.
😮 but I think I’m in the minority!

You also have LilysofEden which I love