Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Films

(35 Posts)
Billybob4491 Wed 22-Nov-17 06:05:19

Am I the only person on Gransnet who thinks that the Christmas films currently shown on TV (mainly afternoons) are complete and utter rubbish. Sloppy sentimental stories with sickly happy ever after endings! Its an instant turn-off for me. Oh well back to my tried and trusty friend - the radio.

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 15:13:07

Hi Annie ARE YOU THERE, as you've popped up here I'm taking the liberty of suggesting another box set, if you haven't seen this already. Not Chrissmasy "Stella" written and strarring the wonderful Ruth Jones, set in a fictitious South Wales town called Ponderberry. I love it a mixture of humour and pathos. It was on Sky, which I don't have, but get it through the post from Cinema Paradiso. Nearly finished season 3, she's only witten 6 sad Very Welsh and very good.

Apologies to everyone else for going off topic.

Day6 Thu 23-Nov-17 15:39:52

Stella IS good TerriBull.

There is one film that really gets me at Christmas time. Given the sausage roll furore, I perhaps oughtn't mention it. Annie, have you seen 'Nativity'?

It is a beautiful film, quite funny, for children and adults alike, set in a church school about preparing for the annual Nativity play. As they rehearse they sing and so many of the songs are touching. The ending when the play is performed outdoors has me crying every time. The Christmas message is there. It really is festive and about the reason for the season and 'love'.

There are a few of them now, but the first Nativity film is the best and a must for me (and the family) in December.

Anniebach Thu 23-Nov-17 15:45:41

Terri, my younger daughter loves Stella, I will add it to my list, thank you. x

Day6?, no I haven't seen it, would like to , will look for that. It's the American films that make me want to throw something at the tv. Thank you x

gillybob Thu 23-Nov-17 15:55:49

Is Stella in the English language Terri? I love Ruth Jones but can't understand a word of Welsh (although it does sound very nice) . smile

My DGC and I have a "nativity" box set that we watch at Christmas time. The first one is the best in my opinion though.

TerriBull Thu 23-Nov-17 16:17:32

Hi gilly, yes all in English although most of the cast, being Welsh, have the attractive Welsh lilt Ruth Jones is wonderful in it, as she was in Gavin and Stacey, that was much more of a ensemble cast, and although there are some well known faces that pop us, this is very much her vehicle. It gets funnier as it goes on, although it has it's sad moments. She's calling it a day with series 6. Boohoo sad. We are binging on it at the moment in our house.

Apologies for derailing the thead again. To return to the Christmas theme, I would reiterate Day6's recommendation, The Nativity school play films are very good, particularly when watched with a grandchild who is preparing for theirs, it resonated with my granddaugher when we watched one of them together last year just pre Christmas, she did me her rendition of "we are camels", which gave us plenty of opporunity to ask her "whether playing such an animal gave her the hump", yes awful I know, but it's amazing what corny lines you can get away with when they're 6 grin

annodomini Thu 23-Nov-17 16:21:00

I discovered 'Nativity' just last year and was charmed. But for a good oldie you can't beat 'It's a Wonderful Life'.

KatyK Fri 24-Nov-17 09:43:33

Annie Do you know, I could have sworn I saw Father Mc in Fitzgeralds grin On the subject of Christmas films, I have never really enjoyed animations but was surprised how good
The Polar Express was.

annsixty Fri 24-Nov-17 09:49:19

The first film in the Nativity series is definitely the best.
The finale, though totally unbelievable, is just wonderful and tearjerking.
The children are so natural.

Fishpieplease Fri 24-Nov-17 13:51:20

Another vote for the first one in Nativity series