Gransnet forums

Christmas

John Lewis Christmas Advert

(168 Posts)
B9exchange Thu 14-Nov-19 08:53:03

This year's is kind of cute although still seems too early for me. But isn't it a re-run of something, I recall the story of a dragon who caused trouble with his flames and was then hired at the bakery when the oven failed, was that a children's story I read to my children, Denis the Dragon?

Gonegirl Fri 15-Nov-19 14:46:15

This one just seems to give you a feel good feeling. Not bad at this dark old time of year.

noreen319 Fri 15-Nov-19 14:52:27

I loved the advert, so excited for christmas!

pinkquartz Fri 15-Nov-19 14:53:48

hi grapefruitpip

I like you smile

Sara65 Fri 15-Nov-19 14:59:16

I love it.

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 14:59:23

We sing it if we come home and no-one has phoned us and left a message
sad

BlueBelle Fri 15-Nov-19 15:19:18

Well it’s like the country totally divided

B9exchange Fri 15-Nov-19 15:59:02

Christmas is peace and goodwill to all men (people I suppose now), so there is an element of that in the ad, rather than just 'come and buy our stuff'. I do like it, but for me the boxer on the trampoline was just hilarious!

mrswoo Fri 15-Nov-19 16:36:44

I quite like the M&S jumpers ad - not that it will make me want to buy any of them.

Callistemon Fri 15-Nov-19 17:18:14

I can't stand the M&S food ad - but I might go and buy some of their food anyway.

SirChenjin Fri 15-Nov-19 17:54:38

I don’t get it confused Surely if he was as excited by Christmas and being invited to the dinner he’d have burnt the pudding to a crisp with his flames as per the other scenes - or did I blink and miss something??

pinkquartz Fri 15-Nov-19 18:24:41

SirChenjin

No you didn't blink.... I find to be a silly ad with very little meaning.
All fur coat and no knickers kind of ad.

Apparently someone's child has been traumatised by the Dragon killing off the snowman.....not sure it is true.

Willow500 Fri 15-Nov-19 18:33:59

Apparently some parents are complaining that their children are traumatised about the ruined decorations and that the ending doesn't justify the destruction hmm I just thought it was quite a comical story!!

I too like the Argos drum one - my son is a drummer and I love Simple Minds so it was a no brainer - the little girl is actually a drummer. I sent my son the link and he noticed the crowd surfing teddy - he said it would only have been better if it had then done some stage diving grin

Sara65 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:05:26

B9exchange

Forgot about the dog on the trampoline, that was hilarious!

I really like this one though, it’s like a mini feel good movie.

grapefruitpip Fri 15-Nov-19 21:19:37

What the hell....are we so sad , so desperate for some kind of connection? this is what we have become.

Oopsminty Fri 15-Nov-19 21:27:41

Nah, grapefruitpip. The minutiae of life has always interested your average human being

Sara65 Fri 15-Nov-19 21:31:58

Why so judgemental? Same as everything else on television, you can always turn it off.

I think it’s lovely, and my youngest granddaughter will certainly be getting a dragon in her stocking!

Dillyduck Fri 15-Nov-19 22:07:04

When I watched the children's programmes with my grandson (now 7) there was one which included a character called something like Wally Kazam. The JLP dragon reminds me of Wally. Anyone else feel this way?

grannybuy Fri 15-Nov-19 23:59:59

I really liked the one, a few years back, using Paloma Faith's
' Never Tear Us Apart '. I know it wasn't one for kids, but I didn't tire of it.

janipat Sat 16-Nov-19 00:42:49

Prefer the Sainsbury's one and at least they donate the profits from any associated merchandising to charity. This year there aren't any, but the World War 1 advert ( my absolute favourite ever) and Mog the Cat ones did. John Lewis make a packet out of associated sales, which all go into their own pockets, no spirit of Christmas giving there. This one is better than last year and the guy on the moon one. They'll never beat Bear and Hare or the Snowman one for me, but I do think the budget is obscene in this present climate.

Grandma2213 Sat 16-Nov-19 02:24:09

I'm only joining in because I'm bored at present. I have seen Christmas adverts though can't say I actually 'watch' them. I certainly have no idea who is paying obscene amounts of money to produce them. By the way, I have never bought anything from John Lewis and am not likely to.
The one I have seen this year shows a poor old man minding his own business walking down the street. The neighbours club together to give him a gift, presented by the obligatory cute little girl. Then they have a noisy party in his house clearly using his electric and probably grinding food, glitter and other unmentionables into his carpet. I have no idea who is paying silly money to produce this but I feel sorry for this poor old fella. I'm sure that's not meant to be the message behind it.

Callistemon Sat 16-Nov-19 10:04:22

which all go into their pockets

JL is run differently than other retail companies in that it is run as a trust, all their employees are partners and receive a bonus out of the profits.
So yes, it will go into their pockets but not just those at the top, also to all those working even harder in the run-up to Christmas.

Gonegirl Sat 16-Nov-19 10:07:52

DON'T READ THIS THREAD

Any Christmas spirit you might have had sneaking up on you, will disappear in an instant.

Stay clear.

miserable sods on board

SirChenjin Sat 16-Nov-19 10:09:37

“World War 1 advert ( my absolute favourite ever)”

Mine too janipat Such a moving reminder of (for me) the true meaning of Christmas smile

Callistemon Sat 16-Nov-19 10:11:58

the true meaning of Christmas
Well I finished sewing up Baby Jesus, now to do the rest.

Sara65 Sat 16-Nov-19 10:47:49

Agree with Gonegirl