Gransnet forums

Christmas

Christmas Day dinner

(108 Posts)
Greciangirl Fri 13-Dec-19 17:54:53

My daughter wants me to cook Christmas dinner this year.
Neither of us likes doing it and I have expressed my displeasure at doing it. My reasons are : I have done it nearly every year for goodness knows how long. I am now 74years old, and feel I need a break from it.

We compromised last year and had a buffet type meal.
I’m ok with that, but no, she wants her and partner and grandson to all come over to me.
Neither my partner or myself want a huge turkey dinner, but she always goes overboard and wants me to cook piles of food. Everything with her is more, more, more. Same with presents.

I know that if I cave in I will regret it and end up feeling resentful. Ideally we would just like to visit in the morning and exchange presents, spend a bit of time with them, then come home to our preferred grub.
If I object at all she grinds me down and tries to make me feel guilty.
I am so fed up with it and it’s making me feel depressed and anxious. We both get stressed out if in the kitchen together cooking.
Anyone else have to endure Christmas misery.

inkcog Mon 16-Dec-19 08:58:10

Izabella, gosh what an idyllic life in Barrow in Furness.

Brismum Mon 16-Dec-19 16:18:54

So sorry Haweral for you and your grandson? Does your son agree with this or is he going along with his wife?? Hope you can enjoy being away for Christmas and the New Year can bring some sort of healing and reconciliation.??

newnanny Mon 16-Dec-19 16:23:32

Just tell dd you don't feel up to it. As you get older you are feeling more tired. But offer to go over to see her Xmas morning for an hour or so. Remember you are the Mum in this relationship! Your dd should be more respectful.

M0nica Mon 16-Dec-19 18:07:18

Nancool, bully for you, but a lot of people are not so fortunate and by 74 many people have all kinds of medical problems, not lifestyle induced, that limit their activities and energy levels.

I am older than you and still active and medical problem free. I appreciate how fortunate I am and avoid rubbing the noses of people in the doodo. Most would love to be like me but cannot. Things can change quite literally over night, so count your blessings that you have your health - while you do and show compassion for those who can't. You could be one of them this time next week.

Harris27 Mon 16-Dec-19 18:10:48

Tell her your handing the baton over and it’s her time now to get on with it!

jeanie99 Wed 18-Dec-19 01:21:45

GrecianGirl
You sound stressed to death look
Your daughter is putting pressure on you to take the Christmas day cooking away from her, very selfish but there you go.
You don't want a fall out at Christmas so these are your options,
Tell her honestly you do not feel confident to do the honours this year and suggest you all book a table somewhere to have Christmas dinner OR.
Buy everything in cooked already.
Saying this is the last time you will be doing it.
Best of luck

mamagran Wed 18-Dec-19 09:20:09

Hmm... I've not really heard that in my circle of friends and family before. I help my mum out all the time when we prepare for Christmas (I am 50). So, it is a team effort. I always used to be in the kitchen with her when she was baking and preparing all sorts of deserts for the holidays even 3 days in advance! My mum was always helping her mum as well - for any celebrations she would always be there, excuse my language, working her ass off! So, I feel like I grew up seeing this and I could not do the opposite to her now.
Maybe try to tell your daughter to turn this into a family thing, where everyone contributes.