Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Lockdown

(161 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Mon 23-Mar-20 20:59:01

Looks like we are in lockdown. Thoughts?

paddyanne Tue 24-Mar-20 01:09:33

too little too late ,this should have happEned last week or even the week before.They had the stats from other countries to work with.People will die needlessly

Lisawill Tue 24-Mar-20 01:18:30

This might help some people cope with lockdown. Should have happened sooner but its done now.

Ask family, friends and neighbours to support you and use online services. If this is not possible, then the public sector, business, charities, and the general public are gearing up to help those advised to stay at home.

Please discuss your daily needs during this period of staying at home with carers, family, friends, neighbours or local community groups to see how they can support you.

Please visit gov.uk/coronavirus-extremely-vulnerable from Tuesday 24 March 2020 TO REGISTER for the support that you need. This includes help with food, shopping deliveries and additional care you might need.

The government is helping pharmacies to deliver prescriptions. Prescriptions will continue to cover the same length of time as usual. If you do not currently have your prescriptions collected or delivered, you can arrange this by:

Asking someone who can pick up your prescription from the local pharmacy, (this is the best option, if possible).

Contacting your pharmacy to ask them to help you find a volunteer (who will have been ID checked) to deliver it to you.

Purplepixie Tue 24-Mar-20 01:32:51

I think this should have happened two weeks ago. The government knew what was going to happen and as usual close the door when the horse has bolted. Bloody stupid! Let’s all abide by it and stay safe.

Washerwoman Tue 24-Mar-20 06:53:25

Re the army being deployed.That would reassure me.I read an excellent article by an army wife saying in 30 years service her husband spent a huge amount of his service peacekeeping and building relations with communities.It's all about logistics and helping vital supplies flowing.And keeping gangs and groups who won't obey instructions off the streets to keep us all safe.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 06:58:58

I agree with you Washerman. I would feel relieved to know that the army is in charge of logistics. A local "volunteers army" has emerged. I have no doubt that the people who have said they'll help, mean well, but it's chaotic. There's no leadership and they really haven't thought through how things will need to work.

Madgran77 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:02:16

Bike rides are allowed because it is a good self distancing method of exercise! If people are then stupid enough to congregate with bikes, that option will be removed as well!

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:13:12

I don't feel that annoyed with the idiots. It was exactly as I expected. There are so many of them around, after all, it was predictable.

I'm still annoyed with the blame being put on the idiot section of the population - by the government. The government dragged it's feet. Lockdown should have happened two weeks ago but they 'weren't ready'.

In another two weeks we'll have a catastrophe on our hands. Too many hospital patients, too many sick staff - and the need to 'prioritise' ventilators. The elderly will have no chance!

I'll still be angry with our leaders. Their duty is to protect us!

Ginny42 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:16:37

It's possibly more likely to end up in A&E from a bike ride than a walk.

I simply cannot get my head round how so many people thought it a great idea to go off on a jolly to the seaside or for a picnic in the park at a time like this!

The message that it was going to be a bit like flu and that old people had the most to fear was clearly wrong. The young are not invincible.

However, it's very heartening to see that 7000+ clinicians have volunteered to return to the NHS to help. There are many good people out there too!

MamaCaz Tue 24-Mar-20 07:21:01

The problem with going on bike rides over the last few days, in our rural area, has been walkers stopping to chat to each other, congregating in the middle of our country lanes and not allowing us a two meter space to pass by. Plenty of room for us all if they kept nearer the edge!

Madgran77 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:29:23

Um .....what?

Hetty58 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:41:45

Bicycles are the least of my worries. We've had a decade of cutbacks in the NHS and police force. Now we will need them desperately!

MamaCaz Tue 24-Mar-20 07:50:19

Ginny42

Statistically you might be right, I don't know, but I had quite a heavy fall while out walking the other day. My toes caught on the point of a stone sticking up out of the ground as I was walking a cross a field (on the footpath). I didn't half go flying!
Luckily, apart from a bruised knee, I was ok, but it certainly occurred to me how lucky I was not to get an injury that would require hospital attention.

Come to think of it, I had another bad fall about a year ago while walking on the local footpaths, when I tripped over a piece of wire that had been left across the path after the wooden stile rotted away. Again, I really went flying, landing heavily on both a wrist and a knee. Painful, but nothing broken

Based purely on those experiences, I think cycling might be safer than walking in rural areas, especially now there are fewer cars on the roads - for me, anyway!

Ginny42 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:59:36

I was of course thinking of cycling on roads being more dangerous than walking on pavements.

GrannyLaine Tue 24-Mar-20 08:10:54

MawB
Your post 22.33 yesterday grin grin- has it in a nutshell. Hilarious but he does have my sympathy. I wouldn't wish his job on anyone. Thanks for sharing

littleflo Tue 24-Mar-20 08:15:48

I don’t think it could have happened sooner as there was no way to enforce it. The latest poll showed that more people were in favour of the lockdown than against it. More people now will adhere to it. As for going for exercise, as long as people are going alone to places where they won’t meet others, some will go out more than once. For people in flats it will be very difficult. It hopefully they will do the sensible thing.

Lucca Tue 24-Mar-20 08:16:59

MawB. I saw that too but didn’t know if I dared post it here

bikergran Tue 24-Mar-20 08:17:10

Does make you wonder..how many 100s/1000s have now been infected due to the stupidity of morons that think they are invincible.

MamaCaz Tue 24-Mar-20 08:25:15

Ginny42 Tue 24-Mar-20 07:59:36
I was of course thinking of cycling on roads being more dangerous than walking on pavements.

In towns and cities, I imagine you are right - though at least there should be far fewer cars on those roads at the moment. smile

sodapop Tue 24-Mar-20 08:50:26

gringrin made me laugh Maw I agree with GrannyLaine I wouldn't wish his job on any on at the moment.

Sparklefizz Tue 24-Mar-20 09:06:05

To make you smile ......

TwiceAsNice Tue 24-Mar-20 09:10:28

Expected it and am glad it has now happened. People are so stupid in lots of ways. Yesterday my daughter posted on our neighbourhood Facebook how disgusted she was that people were buying ice cream from a van that had come round, for their children. She said how can you be so stupid when he has been in contact with so many people

Chestnut Tue 24-Mar-20 09:44:14

So much for lockdown. This was the morning tube train. I feel so sorry for NHS and other key workers in London who have to endure this. They need to provide key workers with ID and check them at the station entrances.

gillybob Tue 24-Mar-20 09:51:41

I really can’t blame anyone for trying to get to work if the alternative means no pay . It’s so easy for those with a steady income to criticise those for whom no work equals no pay .

At the risk of being called a moron does anyone know if am I allowed to meet my DD and her baby and go for a walk ? I fear for her mental health as she is alone and very scared . Mixed messages.

growstuff Tue 24-Mar-20 10:00:19

No, it's not recommended. She isn't a member of your household. Sorry to be blunt, but she'll be even more on her own if you're dead.

Granny23 Tue 24-Mar-20 10:05:18

I got a text message on my mobile this morning, which purported to come from HM Government, ordering me to stay indoors. Did anyone else get this? Wondering why me? am I on some special list?