Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Panorama tonight

(173 Posts)
May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 20:58:42

Has anyone watched Panorama tonight angry

SirChenjin Mon 27-Apr-20 22:47:38

What do you agree with?

A lot of posters with first names beginning with a lower case letter followed by random numbers appearing on the Tory/Boris threads tonight. Weird.

May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 22:49:37

I agree bad management
but NOT from the NHS.

sharon103 Mon 27-Apr-20 22:53:57

Lets get this in perspective the crayon eaters who are set on pulling Boris down.

Firstly THE GOVERMENT DOES NOT ORDER EQUIPMENT for the NHS, they supply the money. The lazy arse MANAGERS of the NHS are the procurement sources.

It's not the government that deals with the logistics for the NHS, it's yes you've guessed it the NHS, more piss poor NHS management (goverment sorted that by giving them the Army).

Two years ago there was a major exercise about the country being prepared for a possible pandemic, the government did NOT run that exercise, the NHS did, which they used their fantastic line "we can flex" so they were supposedly in a good place, add to that now Brexit with all the stockpiles that we had, they sat there and told the goverment we are ok. Did the MANAGERS then pre empt the 4 weeks pipeline ordering (thats how long it takes container ship to come from......CHINA)....

oh how did we end up in that situation, well you stopped ordering from local sources, mistake all the eggs in one basket, who did that, not the goverment the NHS procurement.

With the care homes now screaming out for PPE shouting at the goverment, oh wait the majority of care home are PRIVATE business's, 84% to be exact. It is not the responsibility of the goverment to order PPE for the private care homes, the others are COUNCIL led therefore which ever banner they are under it is down to them. There are all these people hiding behind the goverment when in reality it is those MANAGERS who have fucked up. Not to worry though all our stirling journalists and crayon munching joe public who believe the tripe they publish, to bash the goverment, one because they didn't vote for Brexit and two because the toxic crayons have got to them.

The real joe public know our media are shite in almost every quarter and the muppets that chuck the stones from the sidelines, you know the ones that are armchair virologist/stratergy professionals who could do oh so much better....NOT.

The goverment has made mistakes, but not as many as the media would have you believe, instead of trying to pull this country together it seeks to divide, we don't need this at this crucial time, stop reading the gutter press, the armchair freaks STFU we need to get through this and your insessant squeaking is nothing but oxygen waste.

Lets get through this and beat this, as it is not over yet, not by a long chalk.

Written by Jennifer Saunders

EllanVannin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:02:20

I'm talking ward managers whose job it is, is to make sure that if a member of staff of that ward asks for protective clothing or whatever is needed then it should be obtained.
It's not the fault of any government. What can they do about it ? This is my argument. All the government does is hand over the money to the NHS in the hope that someone will know what they're doing.

SirChenjin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:04:31

No pet - it was written by Jennifer Saunders Fans, not Jennifer Saunders. The former is a Facebook page, the latter is a comedian who is a staunch Remainer who isn’t a fan of Boris.

If you reverse search you’ll see the source of the quote

Best cocked up post ever goes to ‘sharon103’, whoever they may be.

EllanVannin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:05:24

Well said Sharon103.

Having worked for the NHS----I've seen it all !!

SirChenjin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:06:18

Who do you think these ward managers are who ask for PPE Ellan and where do you think they should be obtained from?

I’m absolutely fascinated by your posts.

maddyone Mon 27-Apr-20 23:23:05

I believe it was the NHS managers who failed to obtain sufficient PPE. But I also believe that there is a worldwide shortage of PPE, in fact I don’t believe that, I know that. My daughter and son in law work for the NHS and they do not have sufficient PPE. It worries me enormously, but I’m putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of management. NHS mangers, in some cases, earn more than top consultants but they do not put themselves in daily danger as many of our medics do. They should have prepared for such an event as this.

This is not the time for such a programme because we all know about the difficulties faced by the medics. When this is over there will undoubtedly be an inquiry. That’s will be the time to acknowledge the problems and try to put in place the solutions, should there ever be another time like this.

EllanVannin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:24:01

Aren't the ward managers there to manage ward budgets ? To contact suppliers ? To make sure that their designated ward/area was running within its own financial capacity.

And I was fascinated how and why they were paid more than the nursing staff ( so were the nursing staff )

Surely you can't expect the nursing staff to do that as well as having to care for the patients.

Where I worked there was a ward manager in every department and ward. It must have amounted to thousands in salaries.

EllanVannin Mon 27-Apr-20 23:26:23

I can guarantee that in every hospital there are rows among the staff---blaming management !!

quizqueen Mon 27-Apr-20 23:33:37

I don't think that any countries could have anticipated needing so much PPE and I certainly don't believe that Mr Corbyn would have been able to magic up enough either.

growstuff Mon 27-Apr-20 23:37:50

Is the asylum having an evening out?

That post from "Jennifer Saunders Fans" (not Jennifer Saunders herself) is part of a concerted campaign to get it trending on Twitter. The people who have commented on the original are as fake as a nine bob note … and now Sharon hmm

Eloethan Mon 27-Apr-20 23:38:46

To those who say the NHS "managers" are responsible for PPE fiasco, have any of you ever watched the programme Hospital? If you think managing a hospital with too few beds, too few nurses to cover those beds, problems with recruiting experienced doctors, and any number of other pressures is a cushy job then I would like to see you try it.

We have a national health service and one of the important advantages of such an organisation is that it purchases products and equipment in bulk. Also, such products and equipment must meet a set safety standard.

The government ignored the Cygnus report warning that the resources being held would be inadequate, should an epidemic occur. In January the government was aware of the dangerous nature of this virus but took a very relaxed view and took no steps to find new sources of supply.

sharon103 Are your comments meant to be a joke/satirical? I notice you put Jennifer Saunders at the end.

If you are serious, then referring to people as "crayon eaters" and calling NHS managers "lazy arsed managers" don't really do your case much credit.

The government knows it is at fault, otherwise it wouldn't be offering the derisory figure of £60,000 to families of people who have died.

The government has been requested to publish the full Cygnus report and if it refuses, legal action is threatened. Also, many politicians and commentators believe the government should disclose the names of the people sitting on the scientific advisory group, to ensure there is a degree of accountability and no conflict of interest. Why is there so much secrecy?

May7 Mon 27-Apr-20 23:45:08

Which bit of Sharon103s post was well said please??
I thought it was a bit of a rant personally whoever it was written by.
Who are the crayon eaters thst were referred to?
I must admit that made me laugh it was so ridiculously rude

growstuff Mon 27-Apr-20 23:49:49

Eloethan I don't know if you use Twitter, but the "Jennifer Saunders Fans" thing has been going on for a couple of hours and has 19,000 "likes", most of which are quite obviously from bots. It happens when somebody wants to draw attention away from something. I assume in this case it was the Panorama programme. There's a word for trying to get something to trend, which I've forgotten. It's absolute fake news.

growstuff Mon 27-Apr-20 23:50:33

May7 I assume crayon eaters are more usually called pen pushers.

Grany Mon 27-Apr-20 23:52:28

The government was warned last year about pandemic and could have ordered stocks from the many willing and able U.K. manufactures

growstuff Mon 27-Apr-20 23:55:37

This wasn't the "page"'s first offensive post. It deleted one post and then write this …

Nice language, huh!

Sooner those schoolkids are back at school, the less time they'll have to come up with this kind of garbage.

growstuff Mon 27-Apr-20 23:56:02

wrote*

growstuff Tue 28-Apr-20 00:05:28

I take it back. A "crayon eater" is American urban slang for a person of low intelligence.

Calendargirl Tue 28-Apr-20 07:36:24

In answer to the OP’s question, no.

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 08:06:10

Ellan you appear to be confusing your ward managers with your procurement managers. I can only order what is available from central supplies. They can only order what is available through national contracts.

Grandad1943 Tue 28-Apr-20 08:18:23

Some of us on this forum have advocated greater government spending in numerous sectors over many years. However, that was not what the electorate have voted for in the last decade, as austerity was the message they accepted.

It was not until March this year that this government decided to lay to rest the great God austerity and came up with a budget that could have been penned by John McDonald himself.

Sadly it will take time to turn around a decade of austerity, for increased spending has to be transformed into the minds those managing economic sectors, and that then has to be brought through into production.

Many of those that now moan have had an alternative political option on offer over the last ten years, but that route they decided not to take.

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 08:25:59

The Tories did not get an overall majority in the last general election - I think that ‘moaning’ was well vocalised but thwarted by FPTP.

Plus, Brexit...

Grandad1943 Tue 28-Apr-20 08:37:04

The Tory Party have won the last four General Elections under the electoral system that Britain has, and that is all that matters

Parliament has the option to change that system at any time it chooses, but that option they have not taken up.

And that's democracy.