Gransnet forums

Coronavirus

Can't do right for doing wrong

(158 Posts)
3211123rjc Mon 04-May-20 15:24:07

We have tried our very best to remain locked in, order as much as we can online, even though delivery slots are nearly 2 weeks apart, and needs to be left for essential workers. Do Click and Collect, haven't seen friends since the beginning of all of this.

However this is not enough for my children(39&44), I have been called irresponsible, and idiot and get this, F**king stupid to go out to collect medicines/walk the dog within a mile of home and part of our daily exercise. Apparently all of this can be done by local community help, or volunteers, which are busy dealing with people who have greater needs than us, we are both healthy (fingers crossed) aged 66 and 73 and not in a vulnerable group. But somehow we are both stupid and its our age group that helps to spread this virus around.

I responded to that the information as above to them both, who by the way both live over 200 mls away, and reminded one of them that their past behaviour of the drug misuse nearly killed them to which I thought was bloody irresponsible, stupid and idiotic, in fact it broke my heart, watching them in hospital after having a heart attack after using too much cocaine, and even once rang me in the middle of a bender saying he wanted to end it all, and still does break my heart thinking of how they were. I have been told that to bring that up after 9 years was not the same, and I should let go, and maybe they are right, I never told them at the time, in my experience people going through that wouldn't have heard me anyway.

So now I have been sent to Coventry for that and the other has played the "do it for the grandchildren" card and wont talk to me either.

Am I wrong to ask for a bit of respect, even if they don't agree with me, and I know their concern is for the right reasons, but why should I be spoken to like that. I told one that I couldn't be held responsible for the entire group of over 70's in the country, which they didn't like.

One of them has mail delivered here and I just sent a message asking what to do with it, a curt reply came back and when I said "please?" I have received a message back saying if I didn't apologise for the serious line I crossed then they had nothing to say, but by doing all the drug misuse and further actions after, losing job, moving back in with us, helping with living cost etc,hurt, but apparently MY actions really damaged our relationship, no acknowledgement of the hurt that was caused, and never has been. So there you have it , Cant do right for doing wrong, but just now I'm in tears, they are so cruel. So once again I will not speak to them for a while, I'm too angry, hurt, and quite frankly amazed at the level of anger displayed towards me, apparently I'm lucky that they still tolerate me, and I'm told the reason the drug episode still affects me is quilt, guilt because both of them are emotional wreaks?? a lot due to the terrible time getting away from their father, and me thinking I was getting them to a better place, OMG, wrong again sad

And all of this started because I wouldn't do as I was being told (told, not asked) to do over this Coronavirus lockdown.

Are there any kind words from anyone please, I turn to this group as I have no family other than my children and of course my husband, who is not their father and not as emotionally involved, so its a lonely place sometimes.

growstuff Thu 07-May-20 02:13:08

I agree with you too welbeck. I wouldn't be at all surprised if many PhD theses are written about the way this has all affected our fundamental thinking about our priorities, relationships and so much more.

In some ways I see myself as lucky. I had a total breakdown ten years ago. I changed from somebody who thought I was in control of my life to a jelly-like wreck. I've already worked through some of the traumas I can see this crisis has caused.

sodapop Thu 07-May-20 09:14:15

Grant1 so sorry to hear about your Mum thanks

There seems to be a lack of respect on both sides here 3211123rjc. Neither party should be telling the other what they can or can't do. You are all adults and can make your own decisions. If you don't agree then you can surely discuss it without resorting to swearing and anger. I certainly don't agree with some decisions taken by my adult children but I respect their right to make them. They don't always agree with my decisions either and I get the eye roll and "oh Mother " . Relationships with adult children can be fraught but we do have to let go of the apron strings.

BelindaB Thu 07-May-20 14:27:53

Just because you love someone doesn't mean you have to like them. They are bullying you and using your love to get to you. I have had similar with my own lot and believe me, it will not get better if you give in to them.

My basic answer when any of my lot get on thier high horse is to point and say "Door's over there. Don't let it hit you on the way out".

As a Widow who brought up 4 kids single handed whilst working full time, I deserve some respect and if I don't get it, I bite.

Try it.

janeainsworth Thu 07-May-20 18:31:00

My basic answer when any of my lot get on thier high horse is to point and say "Door's over there. Don't let it hit you on the way out"
Nicehmm

MissAdventure Thu 07-May-20 19:10:57

I'd be exactly the same if my adult child spoke to me that way.

I wonder if they do that to people at other times when they're 'worried'.

I'm guessing not.

Lizbethann55 Sat 09-May-20 17:49:27

Just a thought. If they are so far away why is their mail still coming to your house? I would put it all in one big envelope and post it to them, without a stamp! Then say you decided it would be too unsafe to go to the post office to get it weighed and, in order to stay safe, all future post will be sent to him the same way, or will go in the bin. No one should ever accept being sworn at!

Shropshirelass Sun 10-May-20 07:21:55

You have done nothing wrong and are following guidelines. I am 66 and in a position where I go out shopping once a week, when I also shop for two elderly (in their 90's) relatives and deliver the shopping to them. We live in a small market town and I shop there. I wear a mask and gloves and disinfect the trolley. My husband is shielded so perhaps I could be criticised for going out, I do it because I have no choice, no her family near enough, or even willing to help. Your children should be supportive and understanding, they have no right to be so disrespectful towards you, as the saying goes, you can chose your friends but not your family. Stay safe and get on with your life.